worst of the Carnival fleet???

jima53

Which ship do you think is the worst of the fleet. Most of you reading this have cruised numerous times and probably on several classes of carnival ships so what ship do you feel is the worst and should be mothballed or sold for scrap.

Jim

my vote is for the Celebration.

My one nightmare, cruise from hell was on the Holiday but many others have sailed on it after I did & love it. Hopefully it was just a bad week when I was onboard. It seemed to be Murphy's Law when I sailed on it. Anything & everything went wrong. Only time I ever considered flying back from first port. I'm sure glad I didn't let it affect me because I have had several great cruises since then.

Im sure Holiday, Celebration and the older fantasy class ships will be mentioned, yet they all will be sailing for many,many years to come for the Carnival Corp.

That brings up a good question,Does anyone know when or how they decide to retire cruiseships?:confused:

That brings up a good question,Does anyone know when or how they decide to retire cruiseships?:confused:

CCL (not Carnival Corp) basically cruises exclusively in North America, excepting of course when brand spankin' new they might do a little European cruising. There are only so many American ports which will support a cruise ship and only so many destinations that can be reached from American ports within 7-8 days.

Sooooooooooo, when "new builds" come on line, usually, eventually an older ship has to "go". They are usually moved to a lesser subsidiary of Carnival (e.g., Carnival TROPICALE became the Costa TROPICALE) or sold to a lesser line. Older ships are frequently used for exotic and unique itineraries where the ship, itself, is not the main attraction, but merely a comfortable safe way to get from A to B. Some become World traveling universities.

When a ship finally becomes so out of date and worn out that it becomes too expensive to update or repair them . . . . . then they go to a ship "boneyard" where they are cut up for scrap. And the process starts all over again. :)

Some were so famous or endeared that they are permanently docked somewhere and used as a hotel or museum (the Queen Mary in Long Beach).

Victory!!

I know alot of you like her, BUT.....

1. Lay out

2. Bad chief my week 11/28/04

3. too many long lines, slow help

I had to get my room changed first day "VOMIT smell", which took me 5 hours to talk them into getting it changed.

I made the best of it, but would not sail Victory again, but would try other newer ships. Pretty much the other 30 or so that sail that week from these boards agree that it was a bad week for the Victory.:mad:

The only really old ships remaining in the fleet are the Holiday (Mobile) and Celebration (Jacksonville), both built in the mid-'80's, and by far my least favorites of the 21 in service now.

Carnival is using them to explore new markets - otherwise, they'd be gone, as are the Jubilee (now in Australia under the P&O flag) and Tropicale (sent to Europe as a Costa ship). There may be little physically wrong with them, but they're small (47k gross tons, as opposed to 70k, 80k and 100+k), and lack the amenities that today's cruising public expects (balconies, alternative dining, fancier pubs, etc.). Despite occasional facelifts, they do show their age. In addition, they're technologically obsolete, and maintenance is expensive.

First-timers generally like the experience, for both the novelty and convenience of sailing from a nearby venue. Rarely do cruises exceed five days, so those of us who choose to vacation for a week or longer do not find them attractive - and the fare can come amazingly close to longer voyages, since the per-day cost is greater on the 4- and 5-nighters.

I've sailed smaller ships on several occasions over the years (usually because of deals I couldn't refuse) but now cruise exclusively on newer vessels. I agree that any cruise is better than none, but I plan long enough in advance to avail myself of some outstanding prices; so if I'd be packing for five days, another couple of clothing changes is no big deal - and to sail for a longer period of time, and in relative luxury, for close to the same money, it's a no-brainer for me.

Al

I think it's very subjective...one can have a great cruise on an older ship and a sucky one on the newest and brightest...my favorite ship....the one I'm currently on...whichever that one happens to be!;)

None, unless the ship were to sink or something as I was on it, I doubt I'd have a bad cruise...

Is it said that it slightly pained me to hear people wanting the celebration scrapped? LOL It was my first cruise ever, and so in my mind, that ship will always be amazing. :D

The question isn't what ship did you have your worst cruise on - but Worst ship in the fleet. I don't think you can judge the ship itself on long lines and poor service. I would think things like mechanical breakdown and conditions of the cabins and common areas would apply.

I have been lucky to have sailed on fairly new ships. Out of the ones I have sailed I would say that the Fantasy was in the worst shape - but still very nice.

Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed every cruise ship that I have been on, but the Ecstasy was by far the ugliest ship. I would sail any other ship again but don't think I would cruise on the Ecstasy again!

Archived