Hp photosmart essential 3.5

cruisin'mama

I know this is a photo area, but I need some help and thought someone here might have an answer. I have been using HP Photosmart Essential 3.5 on my HP computer (using Windows 7 ) and have transferred over 22,000 pictures to it. Just recently, when I try to transfer new pictures to my library, it looks like everything is going fine, it goes thru all the normal steps of the transfer, but then the pictures don't appear in my library. I have try transferring from both the SD slot on my printer and my tower, but I am having NO luck. I am getting frustrated. I have considered uninstalling the software ( which was pre-installed when I purchased the computer ) and reinsatlling the new version, but I am afraid that I will lose the 22,000 pictures in the library. ( Some of which I will not be able to get again ). I could probably go buy an extrenal hard drive and copy everything onto it, but i was hoping not to have to do that.

Do any of you knowledgeable CCers have any suggestions for me?

One other note, the pictures will transfer to my Picasa, just not my HP Photosmart Essential, which I use alot. Thanks for any advice!

Check in the configuration to see if the folder you are loading to is being watched by Photosmart.

Alternatively:

In Picasa, can you right-click on an image and choose 'open with HP Photosmart'?

I use Picasa to organize and PS Elements to edit. That is how I transition from sort/organize to editing.

HP Photosmart is a good basic freebie that comes with a printer or, in the past, a camera. It doesn't list any capacity limits, but you may have hit it.

Dave

( Some of which I will not be able to get again ). I could probably go buy an extrenal hard drive and copy everything onto it' date=' but i was hoping not to have to do that.

[/quote']

Do that immediately.

You need to have multiple backups of something as important as all of your photos.

There are two kinds of computers. Ones that have lost all of your data, and those that someday will.

Backup!

Yes, backup your photos to a USB drive - do this regardless of whether or not you have problems with your HP Photosmart software or not.

You should be routinely backing up your photos anyway as the drive on your computer could crash at any time. Not saying doom is imminent, but you should always have more than one copy of your photos - and not on the same computer.

That would be a best practice.

Ok' date=' I think you have convinced me to get something as a backup for my pictures! Any suggestions? Any brands recommended or ones to stay away from? ANY help with this is appreciated! Thank you!!![/quote']

Just go to any Staples, Office Depot.

I use a Western Digital 500 GB. Probably cost about $50.

Lots of good ones to choose from. Just go get one and back up those pix!

Just imagine losing all of those pix.

HDD are a commodity these days very little difference between them and so cheap. The key is keeping them cool and not shaking them :D

I recommend a minimum of 3x backup; computer and 2x standalone HDD. We are talking a 100 bucks or so. HDD fail it isn't a matter of if but only when! Backup what you will regret never recovering!

Ok' date=' I think you have convinced me to get something as a backup for my pictures! Any suggestions? Any brands recommended or ones to stay away from? ANY help with this is appreciated! Thank you!!![/quote']

If you uninstall the HP software you will not lose your pictures. You might lose the organizer file which references the location of the pictures (but probably not).

I highly recommend that you set up the Windows 7 backup utility to automatically backup your data files to the external hard drive. It is easy to do and works great. You will need to have your HDD hooked to your computer for the automatic backup to work though. Also, be aware that the backups accumulate on the HDD and depending on how much data you have, you will have to delete older backups as the HDD fills up with them. I usually delete old backups every 6 months or so on my 250GB drive. I have about 90GB of data backed up.

Archived