Which water camera? Torn between 2

joan72761

Read a lot of comments on here about underwater cameras. The Panasonic Lumix TS3 appears popular and costs about $275.00. But I was looking at the Kodak Play-Sport in a store yesterday and it seemed rather nice. Not heavy, and good price at about $150.00. My DH likes to snorkel and we both like to white water raft. We have a wonderful camera for pictures on dry land and we are strictly looking for something for pictures and video in or around the water. Has anyone tried the Kodak? If its between these two, which would you choose? Thanks for your help. We have two cruises coming up and plan to snorkel on both.:p

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311waterproofcompactgrouptest/

Read a lot of comments on here about underwater cameras. The Panasonic Lumix TS3 appears popular and costs about $275.00. But I was looking at the Kodak Play-Sport in a store yesterday and it seemed rather nice. Not heavy, and good price at about $150.00. My DH likes to snorkel and we both like to white water raft. We have a wonderful camera for pictures on dry land and we are strictly looking for something for pictures and video in or around the water. Has anyone tried the Kodak? If its between these two, which would you choose? Thanks for your help. We have two cruises coming up and plan to snorkel on both.:p

I take my canon D10 with me everywhere and use it more than my slr camera now. Our last cruise (2 weeks ago) we decided to ONLY take the canon with us and it did not disappoint. It takes wonderful pictures in the day, at night (including fireworks), in the water snorkeling and even has video.

Here is a link to my pictures taken with it on our last cruise: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other

Look for the ones labeled Roatan, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya and the Spirit. :D

• 2 weeks later...
What's the general price range on the D10? $200? $300? What maintenance must be performed on the seals?

Usually $250-275 just about anywhere you'd buy similar cameras. Online is usually a little cheaper. Maintenance?? If you've been in saltwater it's a good idea to "soak" it in fresh water...i.e a sink or something similar.

We've had ours for 2+ years and they're great cameras and actually rated deeper than many competitors. They're also great for "regular" pictures as well as underwater. Here are some showing the variety from our 2009 cruise.

490549668_Picture191.jpg.14a368c415ec031f5e11cbd5357e5edd.jpg

1935324510_Picture203.jpg.761d58f1241c1165b6d3643c26d28bae.jpg

511033829_Picture234.jpg.79320f75bd0038a0a5394f0b6c1d947c.jpg

230555840_Picture287.jpg.9c2b07c0f7ea5cfc8e0656ec7345f5f2.jpg

1933635306_Picture316.jpg.e056efdb95254c5bc612f7c18c081831.jpg

269339256_Picture328.jpg.780c55c9b5f095270ac1e708d2fd3846.jpg

1465788061_Picture346.jpg.4aaa932159215600d016fd6f3f85e210.jpg

1795287019_Picture370.jpg.43bf69f76f948e82489cffbc3f056259.jpg

1604519450_Picture394.jpg.ede7bb073fe2c4a3173da34a5d5ac246.jpg

1148440584_Picture445.jpg.ae60244c0a0a752498afc59752a13bb3.jpg

Hmmm...I just might get one. I'll be cruising alone next time, and wanted to have a camera to take photos of the beach areas, etc. But I wouldn't have a safe place to leave it when I went into the water. But if I get this, it just comes into the water with me.

Hmmm...I just might get one. I'll be cruising alone next time, and wanted to have a camera to take photos of the beach areas, etc. But I wouldn't have a safe place to leave it when I went into the water. But if I get this, it just comes into the water with me.

That's what's so great about having a camera like this. You can take it everywhere and use it for everything you could possibly need it for (day, night, fireworks, video, underwater). It's an all around camera. :)

• 1 month later...

WOW! Just bought a 12 mp Kodak model C123 digital camera good to 10' underwater for $59.99 at Sears! It was advertised in yesterday's flyer. Not on display in the store, I had to ask for it. Haven't tried it yet, but looks to be a good design with reliable seals, also simple controls and decent size view screen. I already have a digital underwater camera, but have had problems in the past with moisture getting in (then it doesn't work for about a week) and with very slow shutter. Hoping this one will be better, can't wait to try it out snorkeling in January.

WOW! Just bought a 12 mp Kodak model C123 digital camera good to 10' underwater for $59.99 at Sears! It was advertised in yesterday's flyer. Not on display in the store, I had to ask for it. Haven't tried it yet, but looks to be a good design with reliable seals, also simple controls and decent size view screen. I already have a digital underwater camera, but have had problems in the past with moisture getting in (then it doesn't work for about a week) and with very slow shutter. Hoping this one will be better, can't wait to try it out snorkeling in January.

Good Luck. I just read some reviews on it:

Cons Fixed focus and a lack of image stabilization mean blurry photos unless you have a tripod or an optimal lighting condition.

• Bottom Line The very inexpensive Kodak EasyShare Sport waterproof point-and-shoot digital camera is priced like a toy, and it operates like one. It's a fun, kid-, and beach-friendly camera, but lacks some elemental features that limit its usefulness.

It sounds like it's basically a waterproof camera (in case it gets wet), but it doesn't sound like it's one that will do well in snorkeling or with items (such as fish) that may be in motion and moving too fast for it to focus.

Let us know when you return.

Good Luck. I just read some reviews on it:

Cons Fixed focus and a lack of image stabilization mean blurry photos unless you have a tripod or an optimal lighting condition.

• Bottom Line The very inexpensive Kodak EasyShare Sport waterproof point-and-shoot digital camera is priced like a toy, and it operates like one. It's a fun, kid-, and beach-friendly camera, but lacks some elemental features that limit its usefulness.

It sounds like it's basically a waterproof camera (in case it gets wet), but it doesn't sound like it's one that will do well in snorkeling or with items (such as fish) that may be in motion and moving too fast for it to focus.

Let us know when you return.

Sears says I can return it within 30 days, so I plan to run some tests (soak in the tub, photos under different conditions, shutter speed, etc) then decide if I want to keep it. Won't have an opportunity to get it into saltwater until January though.

Sears says I can return it within 30 days, so I plan to run some tests (soak in the tub, photos under different conditions, shutter speed, etc) then decide if I want to keep it. Won't have an opportunity to get it into saltwater until January though.

That's good. I would also suggest that you do some shots with things moving (because in reality if you are trying to get pictures while snorkeling and the fish are moving, it may not focus). Also try low light situations (as the reviews stated it doesn't do well then either and sometimes it doesn't help under water for lighting either). Got a fish tank? :D

That's good. I would also suggest that you do some shots with things moving (because in reality if you are trying to get pictures while snorkeling and the fish are moving, it may not focus). Also try low light situations (as the reviews stated it doesn't do well then either and sometimes it doesn't help under water for lighting either). Got a fish tank? :D

I have taken shots in low light, bright light, flash, no flash, motion, and still. Surprisingly good, but the digital zoom sucks especially in low light. My pool is closed for the winter, so no chance for meaningful underwater test other than to check seals. However, I am leaning toward returning it and buying the Olympus TG-310, available at Sams for $149. Not ready to spend the extra for the D10. I already have an Olympus Stylus Water camera, which takes the same battery, so I will have 2 spares.

Just read your review of NCL Spirit. Very nice review. We were on Spirit in January '10, loved it. We will be on Carnival Jan. 2012 with 2 sons and grandson (9). We also love to snorkel, and Roatan, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman are our favorites for good snorkeling. Belize is also good if you go to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye, but that's a long way from the ship. If you go back to Cozumel, Chankanaab is great, but there are also several places where you can go on your own. Corona Beach Club and Money Bar (Dzul Ha) have great snorkeling, they will take good care of you and watch you stuff, and only expect you to buy a bit of food and/or drink. If you want to try scuba, most dive shops offer resort scuba - a short lesson, checkout on equipment, then a dive on a reef maybe 25' - 40' deep with divemaster sticking close by. We did it at Papa Hogg's Scuba Emporium in Cozumel. Sorry you had cloudy water at Roatan.

Has anybody tried the Sealife Mini II? Looks like a great package at a reasonable price, judging by the spec sheet. I saw one at our local dive shop, appears to be well made and good to 100'. Seriously considering one for our January cruise.

I have the Sealife mini II and love it. I am a new diver and have used it several times already, the deepest going to 90 feet. do be sure to get the wide angle lense also, you won't regret it. The video is also really good. A great little camera!

I also had the Canon D10 and liked it. Most pictures I had to do a quick color boost but that was easy to do. I returned it when I decided to get certified to dive and needed something that could go deeper.

I have the Sealife mini II and love it. I am a new diver and have used it several times already, the deepest going to 90 feet. do be sure to get the wide angle lense also, you won't regret it. The video is also really good. A great little camera!

I also had the Canon D10 and liked it. Most pictures I had to do a quick color boost but that was easy to do. I returned it when I decided to get certified to dive and needed something that could go deeper.

Sea Life Mini II is still difinitely on my short list. It seems a bit on the big/bulky/heavy side, but looks virtually indestructibvle in its rubber protective casing. I am afraid I would miss the optical zoom. Does digital zoom give good results on the Sea Life? How about battery life? Shutter delay? Nice to be able to use standard (inexpensive) AAA rechargable batteries.

Still researching cameras, I found BH Photo website with specs, info, and reviews on lots of underwater cameras. Looked at Canon D10, Sony TX10, Nikon AW100, Olympus TG 310, 610, and 810, Lumix TS3, Pentax Optio WG-1, and Sealife Mini II. I think I am down to D10 and Pentax Optio WG-1. Have elinated Sealife due to no optical zoom and minimal setting flexibility, and others for poor photo quality reviews and reports of leakage, shutter lag, and short battery life.

The D10 seems to have the most positive reviews, but I wish it had more than 3x optical zoom and at least 3200 ISO. WG-1 has 5x + super-zoom mode, 6400 ISO, and digital microscope feature. Anybody have experience with Pentax WG-1? A robust, reliable water seal and positive closures are high priorities for me.

Archived