Back to Back Cruises

blackegg

Hello fellow cruisers:

We decided to take advantage of the June 1 and June 11 sailings of the Golden Princess out of Southhampton, England. Some questions:

1. Any special considerations or preparations if you remain on the ship for the next cruise?

2. With Princess, is one able to check in to the second cruise without going through the whole embarkation process?

3. Can one register for the second cruise at the Purser's desk during the first cruise?

4. Can we leave our luggage and things on board if we have the same cabin or if we are moved?

5. Any other words of wisdom from anyone that has done a back0to-back cruise?

Thanks,

Blackegg

1. Any special considerations or preparations if you remain on the ship for the next cruise?

We didn't have the same cabin, so had to pack up and unpack again. the steward wasn't much help--just brought a rolling rack for our hanging clothes.

2. With Princess, is one able to check in to the second cruise without going through the whole embarkation process?

We did not have to disembark and re-embark (is that even a word?)

3. Can one register for the second cruise at the Purser's desk during the first cruise?

I can't remember.

4. Can we leave our luggage and things on board if we have the same cabin or if we are moved?

Yes.

5. Any other words of wisdom from anyone that has done a back0to-back cruise?

Hey Andee:

THANKS for your input and expereinces. I won't plan to expect anything special. As long as I don't have to go through the re-embarkation process again.

Has anyone else taken a back-to-back cruise and cn relate their experiences?

Thanks,

Jim

Blackegg

We did back-to-back cruises in 2003. We had the same cabin so we didn't have to pack/unpack again. When cruise #1 ended, we went to the Purser's desk to get our sign and sail cards for the next cruise - no embarkation process again.

We stayed onboard during the changeover between crusies because we were waiting for friends to join us. However, there is only a brief period when you are allowed to exit the ship during the changeover process. It seems to me it was about 30 minutes long. It is announced ahead of time so you'll know when you can exit. I think you then have to wait for embarkation process to begin before you can reboard. On our ship, the Sea Princess, it was at noon when the first people were allowed to board.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time onboard between the cruises. There were only about a dozen of us and we wandered the ship freely without the crowds. We took advantage of this to check out suites and mini-suites, which is a level we've never stay in. The cabin stewards were more than gracious to show us around, even though they were changing the rooms over.

We really enjoyed our back-to-back cruises and would not hesitate to do it again.

Denny

Next week we are doing back to back. PVP sent us an e-mail on the process. Check in with the purser a couple of days in advance, get new S&S cards issued. A pass will be issued to be on the ship or leave the ship if you want. We do have to do the customs thing again, thats it. So we'll see what REALLY happens. Sounds easy, that's what I'm afraid of.

Mike

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I got the e-mail from the PVP. Thanks.]

I love the idea of viewing the upper crust suites during the cruises and the stretch pants! I am wearing some today!

Any more back-to-back cruise tips, oplease let me know,

Jim

Blackegg

If you are doing a b2b that leaves from the US I believe you will have to go thru immigration. We did a b2b in Oct. on the Navigator of the Seas and had to get off the ship and go thru customs. We were guided off in a group and then got right back on.

Carrie:p

Each week will be treated as a different week. Tip accordingly as your table may be changed in the dining room. If possible request the same cabin both weeks but if not the cabin steward will help you move. Use the laundry room on that day- As the cabin steward in that areaa if they can keep the laundry room unlocked for your group.

The menus will be the same. The shows will be the same. Very likely even the capers will be a de ju vu. Best back to back is to do two different itineraries.

BlackEgg, enjoy the sweet, sweet, splendor of back to back cruising! Soon after, I bet you will be telling us: "You haven't lived until you have taken a back to back CRUISE!"

In addition to the excellent information & advise provided by the board, please plan to enjoy a scrumptous lunch in the main dining room, where you may be joined by Officers & Entertainers. Bon Voyage! Bon Voyage!

My mom did a back to back with HAL going to the west, then east carribean. She hated it! SHe didn't realize that she would have the same entertainment and food for two weeks- it was like the movie "Ground Hog Day".

I wouldn't do it. If anything, I'd go with two different lines back to back. Part of the fun of cruising is exploring the ship on day one, a treat that is lost if you are the same ship for two weeks.

Hey Back-to-Backers:

Thanks bunches for all the experiences and suggestions. We are very much looking forward to our first back-to-back cruise. Exploring the upper crust suites, doing laundry, eating with the officers, etc. Sounds fascinating!

Thanks DSclark for some of the potential downsides. We don't see the negatives and think getting to know the same ship, people, activities can work to our benefit.

Problem is we are not going on 7-day back to back cruises...BUT two consecutive ten day cruises. Separate itineraries but yes same shows, waiters, etc. A year ago we took a 12 day cruise and this year I had to top that for our 20th Anniversary.

So when the Golden Princess 6/1 and 6/11 were almost at giveaway prices and since we reside in Hungary, I can handle the $120 RT airfare to the port to suffer almost three weeks at sea.

Someone PLEASE feel sorry for me!?!

Jim

Blackegg

My DH and I did a b2b in Jan of this year on the new Carnival Valor..

As Canadians we had to go and get our passports in the early morning and immigracian came to us, asked us some questions,that was about 7:30 am...then we had to come back around 11:30 at pursers desk and check in again...that was it...

We had to change rooms and the cabin steward came for our luggage so we didnt have to do anything with that except pack up..(that kind of sucked, we couldn't get the same room)

As far as the shows and food the same, some of the shows were well worth going to twice...I thoroughly enjoyed it , and of course the food, just experiment with different foods, you never have to have the same thing twice...so what...no big deal..

There were about 24 of us and we just went up to breakfest and enjoyed ourselves , and watched all the new cruisers come on..

Word of advice for people that are going by themselves...I would recommend going on Cruise Critic Boards and meeting people that are going on your ship...we met the most wonderful people ..we had been talking for about 5 months before we went so we got to know one another quite well..and I will remember that for the rest of my life, it was the greatest experience I have ever had...and would I go on a b2b again..IN A MINUTE...

GOOD LUCK, AND HAVE LOTS OF FUN...

A SATISFIED CANADIAN CRUISER...

• 2 weeks later...

okay question... I am on b2b in about 9 days. If I buy liquor on board the first night...pay the 9.50 to take one bottle back to room with second bottle to be delivered on last night of cruise, will second bottle be delivered to cabin on last night of first segment? Just thinking that way I would have a bottle per week and pay only one fee. Not sure how they work it but would seem like this would be how they do it since they consider each week a seperate cruise. We have already been told to settle tips etc each week and not wait until the end of second week.

Chris

My hubby and I did a Back to Back cruise on the Carnival Legend. 16 days on the ship was wonderful. We had a Cat 11 Aft Suite for the 2 cruises. We did not have to get off the ship inbetween cruises. We stopped at the Purser's Desk 10 am the morning we were docked in Port Everglades. We got our new S+S cards. Did not have to go through Customs until after the 2nd cruise. We did change tables in the Dining Room for the 2nd cruise. We went from a table for 4 on the Lower level of Truffles(DR) to a table for 2 on the Upper Level. The food is the same and so is the entertainment. We went to all the shows the first week and skipped most of them the second week.

As to itineraries: We did the Southern Caribbean first and then the Western Caribbean. This made all the difference as we had new things to look at on the port days.

:D:DWould I do a Back to Back again??: YES. I'm booked for a Back to Back on the Golden Princess April 2006. The first week is with my girlfriend from New Hampshire and the second week is with my hubby and our 2 moms. 1st week is the Southern Caribbean and 2nd week is Eastern Caribbean(3 ports) which starts in San Juan and ends in New York City.:D:D...............................................................................Karen

Archived