Flights within Peru

Linda_and_Bob

I'm planning some excursions during my cruise and have read about the airlines in Peru on other travel boards. Everyone seems to think that LAN is way overpriced. Some think TACA is the most unreliable airline in South America; others think that Peruvian Airlines has that title. I could take either of these to where I want to go; which would you advise that I choose?

Thanks,

Linda

I'm planning some excursions during my cruise and have read about the airlines in Peru on other travel boards. Everyone seems to think that LAN is way overpriced. Some think TACA is the most unreliable airline in South America; others think that Peruvian Airlines has that title. I could take either of these to where I want to go; which would you advise that I choose?

Thanks,

Linda

They are all fine. But go to the LAN.com website and check the LAN South American Airpass. The savings are really significant.

Yes, I know that LAN is more of an international airline, but LAN's airfares are significantly higher - more than double for the Lima-Arequipa route I'm considering. LAN has a significant surcharge for travelers that are not Peru residents. From what I saw, it was not even just a matter of buying the tickets while in Peru but one also also had to show residency to get the cheaper rates. The other airlines may as well but they're not as steep.

I would (and have) certainly take LAN for longer or international flights, but I was hoping to save a few bucks on this short run.

Unfortunately, I didn't hear about the LANpass until I had already bought a few tickets. This is, I think, the last one I'll be buying.

Friends have flown TACA without issue.

Peruvian was shut down recently in a dispute with the government recently. They are flying again but are under so much scrutiny that they are probably one of the safest airlines out there to fly.

Yes LAN does have residency fares, and yes they do check if you really qualify for them. Don't attempt to save money by purchasing a residency rate if you don't qualify for it.

Archived