How much can I get done in ~ 5 hrs

ktsbbg123

Ship in port from 7-3. Figure most places open at 9 so plan to get off ship then. Thinking of doing "on my own walking tour" with a few stops at museums. For all you "pros" out there.. what do you think I can reasonably get done about ~ 5 hrs.

Get off ship and start down Whitehead Street to southern most point, then back up Duval St with the following stops:

1) Aududon House & Tropical Gardens (possible tour)

2) Harry S. Truman Little White House (possible tour vs pics only)

3) The end of the Rainbow

4) Hemingway House (possible tour)

5) Lighthouse & Keepers Quarters (pics only)

6) Southern Most Point

7) Butterfuly & Nature Conservatory (tour)

8) Cork & Stogie Store

9) Historic Cemetery (tour)

10) Margaritaville & Fast Buck Freddies - Possible stop for drinks & Shopping

11) St. Paul's Episcopal Church (pics)

More stops pending on stores of interest, need for rest and drinks/food. Any suggestions on what to do vs what to leave out would be greatly appreciated.

Ship in port from 7-3. Figure most places open at 9 so plan to get off ship then. Thinking of doing "on my own walking tour" with a few stops at museums. For all you "pros" out there.. what do you think I can reasonably get done about ~ 5 hrs.

Get off ship and start down Whitehead Street to southern most point, then back up Duval St with the following stops:

6) Southern Most Point

8) Cork & Stogie Store

More stops pending on stores of interest, need for rest and drinks/food. Any suggestions on what to do vs what to leave out would be greatly appreciated.

It will depend on the length of time for any tour and if you spend more time afterwards. The Hemingway house is probably the longest tour and you might want to visit the gift shop aftrewards.

Anyway, if you walk up Whitehead first, you can hit the Audubon house first on the left and cross the street for the Truman Little Whitehouse. About 5 blocks farther on is the Hemingway House then across the street is the lighthouse and museum. You will probably want to stop for a browse at the Bahama village at Petronia and Whitehead. (Down Petronia about 1/2 block is La Creperie for a nice snack). Then finish up on Whitehead for the Southernmost Point.

Come back on Duval and everything else on your list except for the cemetary is there.

Pjk

Thank you for the input. I kept reading about the Bahama village, but could not pinpoint it on any map as multiple maps listed it in different places. I'd prob want to stop there too. I guess worst case scenario we start out our "tour" and if we run out of time, just see what we can, allowing plently of time back to the ship, and goodness, if we miss something, we will just have to book another cruise with Key West as a stop! How horrible that will be! ;)

6) Southern Most Point

8) Cork & Stogie Store

You are kidding - you can't be serious. Ignore the time between stops and the time needed to get into the stop and the time you will have to spend taking bathroom breaks, 5 hours and 11 stops works out to 27 minutes per stop. Any you are thinking of adding more places to stop.

DON

You are kidding - you can't be serious. Ignore the time between stops and the time needed to get into the stop and the time you will have to spend taking bathroom breaks, 5 hours and 11 stops works out to 27 minutes per stop. Any you are thinking of adding more places to stop.

DON

No I wasn't kidding. But I guess I wasn't saying I wanted to get ALL of those stops in on one trip. I was giving a list of "wants" with anticipated feedback on what I could reasonably get done. I guess I should have said "suggestions on what would be must sees vs things that are skippable" based on the list. For example, is the Little White House worth the tour, or a short stop for some pics outside. That is how I'd then base what I could get done in 5 hrs.

Does that make more sense? Thanks for your thoughts.

The longest tour on your list is the Hemingway house. You have to wait around for a while while there are enough people and a free guide, then there's the tour itself, then you'll probably want to hit the gift / book shop. After that it's the Little White house. You can get these in then guage how much time you have to complete the loop.

Pjk

Thank you for the input. I kept reading about the Bahama village, but could not pinpoint it on any map as multiple maps listed it in different places. I'd prob want to stop there too. I guess worst case scenario we start out our "tour" and if we run out of time, just see what we can, allowing plently of time back to the ship, and goodness, if we miss something, we will just have to book another cruise with Key West as a stop! How horrible that will be! ;)

Bahama Village in the neighborhood in Key West that is basically West of Whitehead Street and South of Angela. It is a mosty African American neighborhood full of long time families, as well as some newcomers who bought houses and gentrified them during the real estate boom. It is one of the few neighborhoods of Old Town still occupied by many long time families and full of mixed housing, large trees, and kids. Unlike most of the rest of Old Town, it has resisted gentrification and being over run with tourists, and is still mostly a family neighborhood.

Many tourists seem to think the strip of Petronia Street west of Whitehead is "The Bahama Village," but this is only one street in the neighborhood. It is the street with most of the restaurants and shops that tourists tend to visit. There are a few interesting shops and several good restaurants on Petronia Street. Skip the tacky cheap souveniors in the "bahama village market" at Whitehead and Petronia, and walk further down Petronia street to find these places.

Archived