Any Latest News / Rumours about the Forthcoming QM2 Refit ???

oldsilverfox

I was abit shocked and disappointed when I first read on this board that Cunard's look is actually derived from P&O/Princess. The designer their named Theresa Anderson is repsonsible for the look on all the Cunard Queens and oversees all the refits that take place on them. Which from a financial point does make sense as it eliminates the need for Cunard to have its own design team. There seems to be some debate on the extent of their involvement with Cunard now but my last set of tickets (my wife says it was our very last) came in an envelope from Princess Cruises which leads me to believe there is still some cross over on the operations end at least. Didn't Cunard's Commodore come over from P&O as well? Didn't Peter Shanks? (They should have kept Mr. Shanks).

Teresa Anderson is the in-house designer for Princess Cruises and not P&O. She along with Giacomo Mortola are responsible for most of the interiors of Princess Cruises. P&O has used different designers for most of their new ships, which explains why they have a different and more contemporary look compared to their sisters in the Princess fleet. Also, Teresa Anderson was not the lead interior designer for QM2. She was the lead interior designer for QV and QE and may have been involved in past refits of QM2 (Chart Room comes to mind). I don't know if she will have any involvement with the November refit of QM2.

Regarding the Princess/Cunard connection, it's true that Princess ran Cunard form it's California headquarters for a few years. This happened soon after QM2 was introduced. Carnival Corp has since moved Cunard's headquarters to Southampton at Carnival House UK along with several other European brands. In the US, Princess Cruises is still the North American sales agent for Cunard so tickets, brochures, etc are processed in California. All major decisions though and market direction are lead from Carnival UK.

Ernie

Hooks would be nice. I'd like to see two hooks on the I back of the bathroom door for laundry sacks. Also is their a laundry line in the shower to hang wet bathing suit. If not that would be a nice feature. Of course anything that improves Internet speed would be welcomed.

Alohaaa

A big upgrade to internet wiring, WiFi etc is also being done in the refit.

Also, Teresa Anderson was not the lead interior designer for QM2. She was the lead interior designer for QV and QE and may have been involved in past refits of QM2 (Chart Room comes to mind). I don't know if she will have any involvement with the November refit of QM2

Well she did a good job. I've only experienced the current Chart room but I've seen pictures of the previous version. The current look far surpasses the previous one.

Do you know what the upgrade will entail? What will be different for wifi users?

Sadly not exactly - whilst having been privileged to see the plans it all meant absolutely nothing to me, but I gather everything will be faster and more ship-wide, for office based stuff as well as pax.

Word on the street is New carpets in Heavy traffic areas, New Bedding, New Curtains. Upgrade of Wi-fi for wider coverage, New Facial Recognition Technology’ computers be installed, Winter Gardens no major change.

I see CC has a list of re-fits and QM2 is not included. That implies the refurb will not be major to me. I am hoping for new bed covers and couches in the cabins. From the YouTube videos available, there looks to be quite a bit of wear there.

Kit

We were just on QM2 and one of the entertainment staff said that the Golden Lion was having a few changes. The stage is going to be moved to the end of the room, instead of being in the middle and more tv screens are being installed and some booths.

One of the guys working in the shops said that the shops are changing around a bit. I think he said Hermes was going and Swarovski is going in with the QM2 clothing shop and it will flow more, like a duty free shop at the airport.

It is all being done in Germany over one week with thousands of workers coming on board to do all the work.

These may just be on board rumours but we will wait and see.........

If I understand correctly, QM2 in dry dock will also need to make electrical changes required to dock in RedHook.

MAYOR BLOOMBERG, PORT AUTHORITY, U.S. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY, NEW YORK POWER AUTHORITY, PRINCESS CRUISES AND CUNARD LINE ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP TO INTRODUCE SHORE POWER AT BROOKLYN CRUISE TERMINAL

Instead of Diesel Fuel, Cruise Ships Will Use Electrical Power When In Port, Reducing Fossil Fuel Emissions and Helping Achieve Sustainability Goals of PlaNYC

First Operational Shore Power-Capable Cruise Terminal on the East Coast of the United States

copied from:

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID=1194&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2011a%2Fpr121-11.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1

:D

Not too sure about that ... Where did you hear that ? I don't live too far from southampton and there are quite a few employees from Carnival House who live in and around my area. Talking to a few guys & Gals in the local Pub this weekend there is no suggestion that P&O/princess are anyway involved with the new soft furnishing. Cunard have their own Ideas and their own team.

I'm afraid my lips are sealed ;) so I'm unable to say any more other than confirm what has already been said that we shouldn't expect 'too much' other than 'all' floors repaired and new carpeting through out. All bed covers to go and replaced with same style bed linen as new QE. New curtains and soft furnishing in and around some public rooms.

Pleeeeeease don't harp on about that health inspection, Cunard have everything under control. It's this area that will take up a major part of the refit.

Bell Boy:)

You are right the health stuff it is over and done, as much as I love Cunard and particularly QM2, the hard beds need a good consideration for refit and replacement. Maybe they could find out who makes the beds for Oceania and get those.

One more thing to do during the re-fit....

REMOVE SOUTHAMPTON FROM THE STERN.

SPRAYPAINT HAMILTON.

Let's not rush things! If the reflag date is next Spring, we might be on the final transatlantic crossing of a British liner next January.

Let's not rush things! If the reflag date is next Spring, we might be on the final transatlantic crossing of a British liner next January.

F & C,

How true. I never thought that it might very well be the final TA's for a British Cunarder.

Looking forward to seeing you both in January. I'm solo eastbound, but "T" is flying over for the westbound.

I have a logistical question: how does the luggage get transferred from QM2 to QE when they are at different docks?

B

F & C,

How true. I never thought that it might very well be the final TA's for a British Cunarder.

Looking forward to seeing you both in January. I'm solo eastbound, but "T" is flying over for the westbound.

I have a logistical question: how does the luggage get transferred from QM2 to QE when they are at different docks?

B

You let the Purser's know while on board, they send you special luggage tags, and your luggage gets sent on to QE. I think they provide transportation for the pax as well, but since I have plans of my own, I'll see you back on board...

You let the Purser's know while on board, they send you special luggage tags, and your luggage gets sent on to QE. I think they provide transportation for the pax as well, but since I have plans of my own, I'll see you back on board...

Thank you, NomDePlume, for the information. Will see you in January.

Archived