Captains Circle

lhall85917

No bedgruding others going on here - just trying to figure out the equities between the 2 methods. I hope everyone moves up as quickly as possible (including me!!).

Bottom line is who really cares how you get to Princess's numbers (cruises or days)? Just enjoy the perks when you're eligible, be thankful that there are perks, keep on cruising, and continue to "Escape Completely."

Ciao for now!!!

Let's have some fun. If a tier higher than Elite was added, what should it be called and what would the cards look like??

We don't have to be serious here.

I'll start.

Diamond Elite - the card would sparkle.

Not an unreasonable suggestion. Some of the airlines have recently added higher tiers or provided additional perks to those in their highest tier who greatly exceed that tier's requirements.

With the demographics of the Baby-Boomers retiring, many more people will have the time to cruise (assuming many planned well for retirement they'll have some $ too). I think this event would motivate a cruise line to re-examine it's tiering options in conjunction with the market segment it intends to serve.

That makes me laugh because everything I hear about Baby-Boomers having money in always negative news. It seems that most of them can't retire because their savings are pitiful & the value of their parent's homes (if they're inherited them) are so poor that no one wants to sell. If Princess has any intent of selling cruises to Baby-Boomers, they'll have to start cutting their prices. :D

• 3 weeks later...
That makes me laugh because everything I hear about Baby-Boomers having money in always negative news. It seems that most of them can't retire because their savings are pitiful & the value of their parent's homes (if they're inherited them) are so poor that no one wants to sell. If Princess has any intent of selling cruises to Baby-Boomers, they'll have to start cutting their prices. :D

Wow, you just told my story! You must be reading my mail!:D

I just realized last night, that I will become Platinum on the second part of the b2b I've booked for next October! I have only sailed twice, but one of the cruises was a solo - giving me 3 credits. My b2b (which is booked as 2 separate cruises - with different numbers) is also solo, so I get 4 more credits. By my way of thinking, I should be eligible for Platinum status on the Caribbean leg of the b2b. I sure hope I'm right! I am excited! :)

Maureen

It would not surprise me in the least if soon we don't find the internet benefit being cut in half (or at least decreased again), and the laundry service limited to so much per cruise (very limited as to so many pieces sent in that are complimentary and the rest charged for), and as you say, for Elites only.

I guess for me, I don't see any new positives for long time passengers, but just the opposite. I feel they are targeting the new passengers to Princess, and as many have reported, new passengers seem to have been getting better pricing then past passengers lately. Depending on how this 'no discounting' rule goes, that will tell whether those frequent Princess repeaters take to this sort of thing, or if they jump ship. I just can't help but think they have more 'up their sleeves' that will come out soon. Hopefully I am wrong in my feeling on this, but it would not surprise me in the least little bit. So for us, we are just waiting in the wings to see how all of this turns out. I don't like cancelling cruises, and so I am not booking any more until I see what happens after the first of the year. There is nothing worse that booking and finding out after final payment date that your benefits have been slashed to the bone, and what you thought you were getting, you aren't. I have always trusted Princess, but lately, that trust has huge holes in it, which does not make me feel comfortable anymore.;)

Absolutely. Final pmt date should determine perks as to what was in effect at that time. Other than that, stop complaining whether you get a new perk after 120 days or 150 days. Being able to afford to sail that often is a great life perk in itself. Those of us who have to scrimp and save for one short cruise every few years are grateful for one free glass of champagne at an art auction. I don't begrudge anyone their wealth but why should you expect more for your cruise dollar than others.

It would not surprise me in the least if soon we don't find the internet benefit being cut in half (or at least decreased again), and the laundry service limited to so much per cruise (very limited as to so many pieces sent in that are complimentary and the rest charged for), and as you say, for Elites only.

I guess for me, I don't see any new positives for long time passengers, but just the opposite. I feel they are targeting the new passengers to Princess, and as many have reported, new passengers seem to have been getting better pricing then past passengers lately. Depending on how this 'no discounting' rule goes, that will tell whether those frequent Princess repeaters take to this sort of thing, or if they jump ship. I just can't help but think they have more 'up their sleeves' that will come out soon. Hopefully I am wrong in my feeling on this, but it would not surprise me in the least little bit. So for us, we are just waiting in the wings to see how all of this turns out. I don't like cancelling cruises, and so I am not booking any more until I see what happens after the first of the year. There is nothing worse that booking and finding out after final payment date that your benefits have been slashed to the bone, and what you thought you were getting, you aren't. I have always trusted Princess, but lately, that trust has huge holes in it, which does not make me feel comfortable anymore.;)

Toto,My sentiments exactly.Whats next to be taken away.I just can't understand the people who take these changes and blindly keep paying the same price for less of a product.I really believe after talking to people in Santa Clarita that their stock line is:"We are aware of the problems" yet they do nothing about anything anymore.Princess lost us after the Grand drydock fiasco.I may be back but only if they make some big changes!

Interestingly P&O are changing their loyalty club levels in 2012, perhaps Princess will follow in the future.

http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Experience/newLoyalty/Peninsular-Club/Peninsular-Club-Introduction/

Gee, 50% discount on machine washable items once you have at least 201 days including at least 80 nights in the previous three years.

A special check-in line and priority embarkation after 201 days.

Hopefully, Princess will not be following.

With the demographics of the Baby-Boomers retiring, many more people will have the time to cruise (assuming many planned well for retirement they'll have some $ too). I think this event would motivate a cruise line to re-examine it's tiering options in conjunction with the market segment it intends to serve.
With stocks tanking in the past 10 years even those who have planned well can find themselves looking at half their retirement savings gone, and most financial advisors still saying to "invest for the long haul". That time is here and I for one have already delayed retirement. So we'll be looking for cruise bargains, OBC's, closer ports, and possibly even inside cabins vs. our favorite balcony. That's just the opinion of this Baby-Boomer.

A couple of years ago we met a young couple on a cruise. They were Elite, a status that they received in less than 30 days taking 1 & 2 day cruises on the west coast. They really wanted that black card!
Doesn't seem quite fair, does it? Seems like there should be a minimum number of days in that formula. Oh well, life isn't really fair, is it?

With stocks tanking in the past 10 years even those who have planned well can find themselves looking at half their retirement savings gone, and most financial advisors still saying to "invest for the long haul". That time is here and I for one have already delayed retirement. So we'll be looking for cruise bargains, OBC's, closer ports, and possibly even inside cabins vs. our favorite balcony. That's just the opinion of this Baby-Boomer.

Doesn't seem quite fair, does it? Seems like there should be a minimum number of days in that formula. Oh well, life isn't really fair, is it?

Actually, the stock market has now regained all the losses during the 2001 to 2009 years. Since January 2009, the Dow Jones index is up over 50 percent.

Not an unreasonable suggestion. Some of the airlines have recently added higher tiers or provided additional perks to those in their highest tier who greatly exceed that tier's requirements.

Hi Everyone:

I haven't seen any reference to "Loyalty commend". On page 23 of the Spring 2011 issue of CC magazine there is a description of this program aimed at those with more than 21 cruises. Can't find any reference to this program on the Princess site. In part it says:

1. "Loyalty Commend shipboard credit is automatically applied to your onboard account.

2. $25 shipboard credit for Members who are sailing on their 21st to 31st cruise; $50 shipboard credit on your 32nd to 41st cruise; $75 shipboard credit on your 42nd to 51st cruise; $100 shipboard credit on your 52nd cruise and each cruise thereafter"

Personally I don't understand favoring number of sailings over days at sea but that's just me. I'll play the game.

Let's keep cruising!

Hi Everyone:

I haven't seen any reference to "Loyalty commend". On page 23 of the Spring 2011 issue of CC magazine there is a description of this program aimed at those with more than 21 cruises. Can't find any reference to this program on the Princess site. In part it says:

1. "Loyalty Commend shipboard credit is automatically applied to your onboard account.

2. $25 shipboard credit for Members who are sailing on their 21st to 31st cruise; $50 shipboard credit on your 32nd to 41st cruise; $75 shipboard credit on your 42nd to 51st cruise; $100 shipboard credit on your 52nd cruise and each cruise thereafter"

Personally I don't understand favoring number of sailings over days at sea but that's just me. I'll play the game.

Let's keep cruising!

Got our first Loyalty OBC this month on our 21st Princess cruise. Card in cabin announcing it and it was on our statement when I checked.

[quote name='paul929207']Actually, the stock market has now regained all the losses during the 2001 to 2009 years. Since January 2009, the Dow Jones index is up over 50 percent.[/quote]That may be so, but my well diversified 401K never recovered its value during that time. Cruising however has been a good value for my vacation money throughout the years since I started.

Archived