R.I.P. Dream ICEE Machine :(

jdcml

In all of my research I had found out that the Dream had an ICEE machine on the Lido deck! This was the only ship in the fleet that had the ICEE machine, and while it was expensive, it was neat none the less.

I used it as in incentive for my son with odd jobs or things that he picked up spare change for. He started an ICEE fund for the cruise and it was pretty significant once we got it rolled and cashed in. They removed this machine about two sailings back and didn't really have a reason why.

I found this picture online so that we can fondly remember the ICEE machine that was but is no longer :(. He took it in stride and we went for free ice cream instead!

2847885200090226023S600x600Q85.jpg

Interesting. I would've never known. I sailed the Dream last April, and it wasn't there then. But that's okay for me. I'm more of a slushy/smoothie person, with the carbonation beaten out of it, making it a perfect texture. I likely wouldn't have bought an Icee. They must not have been a big hit.

They had this on all 3 of our Dream cruises. In fact at one time there were 2, one on the Lido and one by the kiddie slides. In June , I never saw anyone by the Lido machine...it was "hidden" forward on the starboard side. And there were never any lines by the slide machine despite long lines for the slides and multiple youngsters splashing in the kiddie slies. Never saw anyone, young or old walking around with an ICEE cup.

I think the biggest problem was that nobody knew where to go to get them. On our cruise in February, it was sitting by the bar. There were no signs anywhere telling you that you had to buy them at the bar. I think a lot of people thought that they were going to be free. A small one was $2.50 and the larger one was $3.50. The day I bought ours, they only had cups for the smaller ones.

Wow.... we were just on the Dream in late August and the Machine was there.... I was ready to get an ICEE and then realized there was a charge for it... ummmm.... no thanks.... and yes, I went right to the Ice Cream Machine instead!:)

It's MY fault! :eek:

Catrin

good idea , but it was in a bad location.

lido deck right near the smoking section/bar. I used to fequent that bar often and the bartenders where the ones who had to servve them. you would often see many kids waiting there waiting for the bat tender to serve them.. a couple times you can see they were annoyed as they took up too much room and it too long ... i think it took away from selling they booze...

Sad to hear this, my Fun Group loved the Icee Machine they would by several and take them to the cabin to add liquor to them.

I was thinking, 'Icee?? How unappealing"

then I read your post and thought..."Ok, that sounds a bit more appealing" :p

Seriously, sorry for the folks that will mourn the loss.

Archived