Leaving Young Child in Camp Carnival on Port Day, thoughts

adschmad

Has anyone chosen to leave their child/children in the Camp Carnival program on a port day? We are considering leaving our 2 year old in the program while at either Cozumel or Progreso (maybe both), and the rest of us go on an excursion.

For the experienced cruiser parents...any tips and suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks!

I was never comfortable doing that. Just too many variables. Wonder if it was like in San Juan when the hurricane came thru and they made the ships leave port. And you are on a shore excursion? I would be worried the whole time and not able to enjoy myself. But that's just me. On one of our stops, the kids club had activities on the island but I stayed with him for the whole day. He was usually with us during the day and then went to the kids program for about 3 hours in the evening and we were given a beaper to carry with us. And he is 16 now and I am still trying to mother him so........it's just me!!!

Our son left our grandson, who was 2 1/2 at the time, at Camp Carnival while we were in Belize. Both were very happy at the end of the day :) That was on the Glory several years ago. On the Dream cruise with him he took him to all the excursions we planned, but he did spend some time in Camp Carnival and loved it there too. My son was pleased both times with activities they offered at Camp Carnival.

Your child MUST be 2 by sailing date to utilize the camp. If the birthday is still a few days short-- there is no exception.

People do use the camps-- not many but there are a few.

They ask that kids be picked up by noon- so I have no idea how that works with people on all day excursions.

If your child is in day care then should be good in the camps.

Your child MUST be 2 by sailing date to utilize the camp. If the birthday is still a few days short-- there is no exception.

They ask that kids be picked up by noon- so I have no idea how that works with people on all day excursions.

Our child will definitely be 2 at the time of sailing (he's already 2 now), so that wasn't the question or issue. I just wanted input from people who have left a child on the ship during a port excursion.

I know that they do not require the kids to be picked up at noon on port days. Already researched that.

If you decide to do that, make double sure you are back to the ship in time. Allow for traffic accidents, and just plain lots of cars.

Cozumel is probably safe.

Thank you! We were thinking of leaving him on ship while the DH, and both older children went on a snorkeling excursion.

Our son left our grandson, who was 2 1/2 at the time, at Camp Carnival while we were in Belize. Both were very happy at the end of the day :) That was on the Glory several years ago. On the Dream cruise with him he took him to all the excursions we planned, but he did spend some time in Camp Carnival and loved it there too. My son was pleased both times with activities they offered at Camp Carnival.

Glad to hear a positive account. Thank you!

I was never comfortable doing that. Just too many variables. Wonder if it was like in San Juan when the hurricane came thru and they made the ships leave port. And you are on a shore excursion? I would be worried the whole time and not able to enjoy myself. But that's just me. On one of our stops, the kids club had activities on the island but I stayed with him for the whole day. He was usually with us during the day and then went to the kids program for about 3 hours in the evening and we were given a beaper to carry with us. And he is 16 now and I am still trying to mother him so........it's just me!!!

Thanks for the feedback. We've booked a private snorkeling excursion....just the DH, both DD's, and I. I will contact the snorkeling company and ask if they allow for detours and excursion itinerary changes if the ship departure time changes.

I am one of "those moms" that is reluctant to leave their children with anyone. But Camp Carnival was wonderful, and the kids had such a great time, I had no issues. I left my 4 and 5 yr old at camp during an excursion at Progresso and while I explored Cozumel a bit. I took them both off ship for a bit at each port later in the day though. I was a bit nervous during the excursion, but it all worked out.

My girls are now 10 and 12 and have been cruising since they were 2 and 4 (had to wait or the younger one to be old enough to go to kids club). I have left them many times while in port. Never a problem. In fact now I don't feel as good about leaving them when in port because they could, even though they aren't supposed to, check themselves out of the club. I feel very safe when they are with the camp counselors. When my girls were younger they would beg us to leave them in the club and not take them to port. That being said, if your child isn't used to kids clubs kind of things you may want to wait and see how they react, but most kids do love it. The odds of something happening like missing the ship are pretty slim if you give yourself lots of extra time and I'm sure Carnival knows how to deal with that if it were to happen.

Has anyone chosen to leave their child/children in the Camp Carnival program on a port day? We are considering leaving our 2 year old in the program while at either Cozumel or Progreso (maybe both), and the rest of us go on an excursion.

For the experienced cruiser parents...any tips and suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks!

There seems to be concern about people saying what if the ship leaves? I would say that you should book your shore excursion from the ship, pretty much a guarantee that it will wait, Right?

I've done it on every cruise with no problem. In fact, my 6 year old daughter asks to be left at Camp every cruise. We only do it once per cruise.

In some ports (like Belize, Mazatlan and Progresso) it is safer to leave younger kids on a ship than to take them with you.

If your child is in day care then should be good in the camps.

Be careful, our 2 year old goes to daycare daily and refused to go to camp on our last cruise. So be prepared to have to take him/her with to excursions or be ready to cancel them if you have to. You never know how kids will react, a new place with unfamiliar people can be difficult.

We have always left our 2-5 year olds in Camp Carnival on the ship while we explore the ports. If something were to happen - I feel they would be much safer on the ship than in some foreign country.

In fact we left our UNDER TWO one time (THAT IS A PAY SERVICE) while in port.

Highly recommend it! The kids are kept busy with FUN activities, feed them lunch, and Mom & Dad are able to enjoy the foreign countries without worries.

If the ship leaves without you, they leave your passports with the port agent. What do they do with a 2 year old?

Might do it if we were just walking around the port, but not on an excursion.

How do they leave the passports? They don't collect passports, we always put ours in our safe.

Many people wouldn't do it (including me) but you can see from the replies you have gotten thus far that many people would. You know yourself and your child, do what you are comfortable with. Have a great cruise.

Thank you everyone! This is helpful to read your replies and suggestions. One of our ports is Progreso, and I have debated leaving all three kiddos in Camp Carnival for that day (7, 5, 2). Going to go with what we feel is best at the time and what the kids prefer. All 3 of them are use to preschool/daycare/school, but curious to how they will adjust to Camp Carnival by port days. Crossing our fingers! Someday our youngest will get to enjoy a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel, but at his age it will not be enjoyable for anyone on the ship if he comes along.

Happy Cruising to everyone!

i am a very protective mother -almost crazy-. my kids are 7 and 6 and i still insist they hold my hand whenever we are in parking lots. I walk them to the bus stop (across the street) and am always right there when they get home. But inspite of all that i DO leave them on the ship for some ports- not one worry. yes there are the what ifs -- but i am sure that carnival will keep them safe if something was to happen - after all why would they even allow you to leave your children with all the what ifs -- follow your gut - if you feel comfortable with it then that is all that matters not the opinions of this board!

I have a variation of this question - my husband is willing to stay onboard the ship at port and be with granddaughter (3). Does Camp Carnival allow more than one person (the parent) to sign the child in and out?

Yes, when you complete the paperwork for Camp Carnival you will fill out the names of everyone permitted to pick up your child. When we cruised in February, we had my in-laws on the list to pick up our granddaughter.

Archived