Most useful dances/dance styles to know for cruising

hunter33

DW & I like to dance when we get the opportunity. We are cruising with good friends in February, and want to take a few more lessons and get in some practice before the cruise. In our experience (cruises, other vacations, weddings, parties, etc.) there seem to be 4 dances that are must useful:

• Swing & variants - Can be adapted to a lot of music
  • Rumba - Works with most slower music and for slow dancing
  • Salsa - Works for most Latin music
  • Merengue - Works for conga line, lots of Latin music, and alot of the moves can be used for "club dance"/hip hop in the dance clubs

Electric slide and Chacha slide are good to know because it seems like they get played every couple of hours in the dance clubs. We know a little Waltz & Foxtrot, and know the basic steps to some other dances (such as Chacha) but it seems like there isn't much opportunity to use them. We aren't trying to become great dancers or always use the exact dance style that should be used for a certain speed or genre of music. We just want to be able to dance to any type of music in any setting and gradually improve over time.

For the music and dance floors that are available on a cruise, what dance styles is everyone seeing and what would be most useful to know and spend more time taking lessons and practicing on?

DW & I like to dance when we get the opportunity. We are cruising with good friends in February, and want to take a few more lessons and get in some practice before the cruise. In our experience (cruises, other vacations, weddings, parties, etc.) there seem to be 4 dances that are must useful:

• Swing & variants - Can be adapted to a lot of music
  • Rumba - Works with most slower music and for slow dancing
  • Salsa - Works for most Latin music
  • Merengue - Works for conga line, lots of Latin music, and alot of the moves can be used for "club dance"/hip hop in the dance clubs

Electric slide and Chacha slide are good to know because it seems like they get played every couple of hours in the dance clubs. We know a little Waltz & Foxtrot, and know the basic steps to some other dances (such as Chacha) but it seems like there isn't much opportunity to use them. We aren't trying to become great dancers or always use the exact dance style that should be used for a certain speed or genre of music. We just want to be able to dance to any type of music in any setting and gradually improve over time.

For the music and dance floors that are available on a cruise, what dance styles is everyone seeing and what would be most useful to know and spend more time taking lessons and practicing on?

It sounds like you are going to be in more of a "club" atmosphere. My experience has been that those who are doing any style of ballroom dancing are in the minority. Most people are just doing freestyle, and after a couple drinks, it can get really entertaining.

If you really want to do ballroom/latin dances, my recommendations would be:

Swing: As you say, you can do that to almost anything

Salsa: There is always a little bit of latin thrown in

Cha: I actually think it can be adapted to a lot of pop music

Hustle: They're catering to "children of the 70's." There's bound to be some disco

Night Club Two Step: Every now and then they play a ballad.

And if they play something that doesn't fit one of the styles, just do like everyone else and freestyle it. Hope you have fun!

The dance floors are small and there usually isn't much room to travel. We haven't seen many opportunities for real ballroom dancing on our first two cruises, it probably will be more of a club atmosphere.

We know the basic steps to Cha cha and a move or two but haven't found much use for it yet. I'm not familiar with Night Club Two Step and will have to check into that.

We just want to be able to dance to any type of music in any venue and sort of feel like we know what we're doing :D

The dance floors are small and there usually isn't much room to travel. We haven't seen many opportunities for real ballroom dancing on our first two cruises, it probably will be more of a club atmosphere.

We know the basic steps to Cha cha and a move or two but haven't found much use for it yet. I'm not familiar with Night Club Two Step and will have to check into that.

We just want to be able to dance to any type of music in any venue and sort of feel like we know what we're doing :D

OK, I'm not a ballroom-y dancer or anything, but if you're looking for dances that you want to do and feel like you know what you're doing, try the Cupid Shuffle (check youtube). It's become pretty popular at deck parties, in the clubs, and similar party venues over the years. Super fun. :)

The main limiting factor is rarely the type of music played but more the size of the floor (typically small and crowded). As such I recommend focusing more on the social rhythm dances - this breaks my heart as American slow waltz is my favorite style, with international foxtrot and Viennese not too far behind - which are designed for such conditions. The most useful dances in my experience (all American style):

1) Rumba - they play a lot of slow songs and it can get big or small depending on your space.

2) West coast swing - Extremely adaptable and takes up less space than any other dance due to the slotted nature of the dance.

3) East coast swing - up tempo, reasonably adaptable, and can go big or small.

4) Latin hustle - As per west and east coast swing, if slightly less adaptable.

5) Foxtrot - You will hear foxtrot standards played, it's just a question of space. Focus on your box patterns and simple twinkles.

6) Waltz - You'll hear quite a few but won't have the space for anything fun. Figure a lot of balance steps, whisks, and simple twinkles, with the occasional underarm turn thrown in.

Honorable mentions: cha cha, nightclub two-step, merengue.

If you go to any of the tropical music parties on a Caribbean cruise bump salsa or mambo up the list (your choice, though I prefer mambo).

OK, I'm not a ballroom-y dancer or anything, but if you're looking for dances that you want to do and feel like you know what you're doing, try the Cupid Shuffle (check youtube). It's become pretty popular at deck parties, in the clubs, and similar party venues over the years. Super fun. :)

Yeah, they played that song every 30 minutes (it seemed like) in Medusa's Lair on Carnival Legend :D

5) Foxtrot - You will hear foxtrot standards played, it's just a question of space. Focus on your box patterns and simple twinkles.

6) Waltz - You'll hear quite a few but won't have the space for anything fun. Figure a lot of balance steps, whisks, and simple twinkles, with the occasional underarm turn thrown in.

From time to time there was music appropriate for Foxtrot and Waltz in Wheelhouse Pub on our Princess cruise. The dance floor was very small though. I didn't hear a single song on our 2nd cruise that worked with either dance. Hoping for more opportunities on the upcoming cruise.

Merengue is definitely the most adaptable and useful.

I agree...

We switched from basic box step to Quasi-Merengue-style.

Based on a few things...like adapting to the differing sizes and composition of the motion-affected dance floors, the range of music played and couples just having fun, but not used to dancing...

All in all-everyone has a great time, and that's what it's all about.

Mike

On most ships, only Latin dances are worthwhile. Merengue is the most useful, followed by samba. International rumba/mambo for slow dances; I group the two together because the footwork is the same, as the tempo increases hip action decreases. (I use "salsa" as a term of contempt for music which is pretty much undanceable by anyone who can actually dance.) Swing, in both its East Coast and West Coast variants is useful.

You may find social foxtrot useful sometimes, but I doubt you will ever hear a waltz or a tango unless you go on a ship where dance music is actually played. Which ship will you be on?

On most ships, only Latin dances are worthwhile. Merengue is the most useful, followed by samba. International rumba/mambo for slow dances; I group the two together because the footwork is the same, as the tempo increases hip action decreases. (I use "salsa" as a term of contempt for music which is pretty much undanceable by anyone who can actually dance.) Swing, in both its East Coast and West Coast variants is useful.

You may find social foxtrot useful sometimes, but I doubt you will ever hear a waltz or a tango unless you go on a ship where dance music is actually played. Which ship will you be on?

That is pretty much what we have seen on our two cruises. We will be on Celebrity Eclipse. Thanks!

The dance is a poem of which each movement is a word.

It's true essence is measured by the smiles that's unfurled.

LET'S HOOK UP CARDIO-DANCIN! & why not? With about 10K daily cruise calories consumed lol, dancing is a fun, ecstatic & great way to sweat if off. Sixty+ fun dance cruisers and I are going Splendor, Nov 13-20, 2011 and I've been conditioning them for daily dance interactions. We'll be body boppin as the ship is rockin.

It seems like the classic electric slide is still the top interactive dance number. According to a top DJ online site, it's the most popular wedding song. Hip-hop inspired Cupid Shuffle is in. Cha cha slide is a cruise staple as well. East coast swing is adaptable from 70's tunes to top 40 jams. Merengue smooth-stepping "Salsa" brings out the sexy & passionate moves. BUT freestylin' is the most cool & appropriate at any venues.

BUT HOW I & MANY WISH ZUMBA DANCE FITNESS GETS ACTIVATED. Many of the Zumba moves are great for all-around freestyle dancing..

5/31/2011

Princess Cruises Offers Sought-After Zumba® Classes Fleetwide

Exhilarating Fitness-Party Workouts Have Passengers Shaking Their Hips While Getting Fit

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (May 31, 2011) -- Zumba® Fitness, the exhilarating dance-fitness program that blends red-hot international music and contagious choreography, is rolling out to the entire Princess Cruises fleet. Since December, passengers on many Princess ships have been joining in the hip-shaking fun with complimentary classes taught by licensed Zumba instructors. The classes quickly became among the most popular activities on board, and now additional staff members will complete the official training to become licensed Zumba instructors as the program expands fleetwide.

SEE ARTICLE..

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1161

I was on the Celebrity Constellation, wasn't too impressed by either the music or the floor, but I don't know if it's even the same class of ship as Eclipse.

If you're looking for a good dance environment with a broad range of music and reasonable price in the Caribbean, Costa Atlantica is about the only choice this season, but it's only doing 10-day trips.

I wish ballroom dancing was more popular on ships. On Royal Caribbean (Voyager of the Seas) there were only a handful of people each night in the club that had ballroom music (a trio playing). On the Carnival Conquest it was in an open atrium instead of the club. I would think with the popularity of "Dancing with the Stars" (a USA TV show) there would be more interest in ballroom dancing. But sadly it seems to be fading more and more. I suspect some day it will be non-existent on most if not all ships, to save money by not hiring the musicians, and to use the club for other purpose (as Carnival does now). :(

Most live music groups welcome requests, so ask them to play whatever you wish. You might add the waltz to your list.

Archived