Taking food into port?

On our "Roll Call" we have had a recent discussion as to whether or not we can take food off the ship into port. I thought I read in another thread that it was not allowed, but when I do a search all I can find is how it is a good idea! :confused: Can someone help us clear up this issue? Thanks as always for the help!

I think most if not all countries have a ban on brining food in. For me, eating locally is one of my favoirte things to do. Example, in Progreso, Mexico I had the best darn fist dinner of my life. And the conch fritters on the various islands. To me it's a big part of experiencing the local culture.

Last week on the Voyager, there was a sign that you could not take "cooked or uncooked" food off of the boat. I am not sure if that means all food or not. We usually take boxes of cereal from breakfast or some cookies in case the kids need a snack to tide them through.

I think most if not all countries have a ban on brining food in. For me, eating locally is one of my favoirte things to do. Example, in Progreso, Mexico I had the best darn fist dinner of my life. And the conch fritters on the various islands. To me it's a big part of experiencing the local culture.

OMG! What kind of fist? It would have to be some type of mammal, right? What else has a fist? :eek: :eek:

While i can see the argument for pre-packaged food, it's not really a good idea to take food into a foreign country. It's how crop and livestock diseases travel.

Incidentally, I was turned back at the Canadian border a while back because we were in upstate New York for the day and I found a good sale on cat food at Target (which we don't have here). Because it is [hopefully] made with meat, the rules on mad cow prevented it from being brought into the country. I had to drive back to the US side and put it into the garbage before i could re-enter Canada. I told the woman at the US Customs booth that if she knew anyone with a cat, she could give it to them but the answer was that while that was kind, it had been in Canada and was no longer considered safe for consumption. We both laughed about how it didn't quite get into Canada.

We plan our trips ashore so we can be back on the ship to eat. We don't eat ashore unless it is a packaged product since we don't want to spend the rest of the trip on the "throne".

Wow, I can't imagine planning an island stop around lunch on the ship...When I'm in a port I want to see and try as much of the local flavor as possible...

The dining rooms are often closed for lunch when in port. The Lido and the pool grill are available until late in the afternoon. No need to be back at 11:30 for lunch.

After visiting many of the ports several times, we don't spend a lot of time ashore, but that's just us.

After visiting many of the ports several times, we don't spend a lot of time ashore, but that's just us.

Sorry, but I just can't resist. Please forgive me.

Be brave...live free!

Am I missing something here, or is your idea of living free just a little more "confined" than most?

We don't eat ashore unless it is a packaged product since we don't want to spend the rest of the trip on the "throne".

I'm not going to say any more, well,......why do you go to... forget it. Make sure you have your passport with you (:)) in case you get stuck where the food is so unpalatable. Yes, I've read your other posts about passports, now I understand your paranoia.

Be brave...live free! Eat the local food, it's great.

As a side comment, respect the local laws. If they ask you to restrain from taking food ashore, please respect their concern.

I thought some of the longer shore excursions provided packaged lunches from the ship. Did I not understand that correctly?

Theron

All of the excursions that I've been on that have provided lunch have been provided locally. The tour operators or a local establishment provide the lunches. I haven't done a lot of cruising, but I've never heard of food being taken off the ship to provide lunches (what's the point? pax could just return to the ship to eat and have a larger selection).

All of the excursions that I've been on that have provided lunch have been provided locally. The tour operators or a local establishment provide the lunches. I haven't done a lot of cruising, but I've never heard of food being taken off the ship to provide lunches (what's the point? pax could just return to the ship to eat and have a larger selection).

Ah.. well I certainly could have misunderstood the source of the lunch, but the point would be that on a 7 hour long excursion, you really can't just pop back to the ship for a quick bite to eat! :)

Theron

JBOND.. The cruise is our destination. In fact we often choose the trip with the least number of port stops. Nothing like having the ship to ourselves on those port days. For those on their first cruise or visit to the port, explore it just as we did back then.

By the way, being brave is not the same as being stupid. To each his own.

Ouch, Cruzincurt. I bring prepackaged cookies for my kids. My husband is a federal officer so we are certainly respectful of the laws in other countries as well as ours.

In fact, on our last cruise I reprimanded my 75 year old mother-in-law for trying to sneak food into one of the ports!

We were curious about the food issue for 2 reasons, 1st we have a 4 year old who eats constantly and I don't know that he would necessarily like a spicy, local dish but would be content to eat a cereal bar for a snack; and 2nd, lots of people seem to bring canned goods and candy with them to Paradise Beach to give to that Tom guy. So, we were all just a little curious on our Roll Call.

Thanks for the answers.

In the good old days -- maybe 20 or 25+ years ago -- they used to give you boxed lunches to take ashore upon request. I seem to remember that from our honeymoon cruise on the Norway.

Judy

I just had to put my 2 cents in here! My mother-in-law(2nd marriage) once said that she took a few "cookies" off the ship one time. I said "I thought you weren't supposed to take FOOD off of the ship???" She replied "It wasn't FOOD it was "COOKIES"!" LOL LOL! Unfortunately that is her way of thinking about alot of things.:eek: She thinks she is SPECIAL and rules don't pertain to her!:rolleyes:

Kelly

I used to think pre-packaged food was okay, but after consideration, I'm going with the idea that you shouldn't take ANY food off of the ship. We also like to try the local food. It's a big part of the experience for us when we travel to another country or even another part of this country.

Archived