Santiago to Buenas Aires in December

mothaselin

Anyone planning on going on this cruise, cannot find any posts. New to Seabourn but not to cruising as have taken over 48 cruises on a lot of ships.

Let us get that cruise going.

Have never taken a cruise on anything other than Seabourn. Were you always on those really big ships? You are in for a treat, but you may not want to brag about having travelled on the big ships, even if you were on 50. Seabourners will not be as impressed as you think.

Anyone planning on going on this cruise, cannot find any posts. New to Seabourn but not to cruising as have taken over 48 cruises on a lot of ships.

I believe this is the roll call for your cruise assuming you are on the 12/5 sailing. It's a small roll call but you can also post there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487838

If you have any questions about the itinerary be sure to post them.

We have sailed this one multiple times including once on the Seabourn Pride.

Keith

Hi Monthaselin, great to see a little activity on our cruise. There has been none on the rollcall site.

We are planning a few days prior to the cruise in Valparaiso.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Ilene

Already packing. Not really, but want to. Just wondering how cold it really the southwest and I am thinking of bringing my ski jacket. Should I?

It will be quite cold and what makes it feel even colder is the wind chill. I remember when we were on the Pride one man wore shorts each day. I asked him why he seemed to bring mainly shorts and he said that he thought that like the Northern Hemisphere when you travel south that it would get warmer. :)

Well, that is not the case.

The key is to layer clothing and that includes a hat, scarf, jacket, sweater or sweatshirt, gloves and pants to keep you warm.

Keith

Already packing. Not really, but want to. Just wondering how cold it really the southwest and I am thinking of bringing my ski jacket. Should I?

Most certainly you should, and some gloves and wool hat that can cover your ears too. We were on similar trip last year with Silversea and had 70 mph winds down the fjords at some points. As has been said .. layering is the key but in a couple of places we had ALL the layers on !

Most certainly you should, and some gloves and wool hat that can cover your ears too. We were on similar trip last year with Silversea and had 70 mph winds down the fjords at some points. As has been said .. layering is the key but in a couple of places we had ALL the layers on !

I should also mention that the weather changes seasons, at least four times a day, down there. So layering the clothing also becomes important when you need to strip off a layer.

That trip was probably my most difficult pack clothing wise. Everything from 80F to 40F (plus windchill).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello-I just found this part of the boards, I have been posting on the roll call one. We are leaving the US on Dec 3rd, arriving in Santiago on the morning of the 4th. Have been trying to figure out whether it makes sense to stay in Santiago the night of the 4th and a van to Valpairaso (ports) the morning of the 5th. It looks like it will make more sense to get a van to Valp. when we land on Sunday, get a hotel in Valp. and overnight there.

Does anyone want to share a van from the airport to Valp. the morning of the 4th? Our flight arrives (Delta) at 8:20 AM. The more people in the van, the cheaper. I believe

Also where are folks staying the night before the cruise in Valp.?

Debi

ABQ, NM

PS I am trying to figure out how to private message people on these boards. Any info on that? I have my email listed but do not know if folks can "see" it..

We did this exact trip last Dec. on SS.

First of all I would recommend spending the first day and night in Santiago and then going to Valpo the next day with a stop in the wine country. There are interesting sights in Santiago and the drive to Valpo is worth doing after a good nights sleep.

We had terrific weather for the first 5 days with the tour to the lakes and mountain district being spectacular. As we got further south the weather got more iffy and in fact we missed Ushuaia and Terra del Fuego completely due to a hurricane. We went througk the Straits of Magellan in 120 mph winds and even have a signed certificate from SS to attest to this.

On the way north the weather got better and better and at Puerto Madryn it was wonderful. Buenos Aires could not have been better.

As previously stated by Keith you need flexibility, be aware it can get very cold and the wind is a huge factor.

Thank you for your info. Flexibility is the key! wow-going through a hurricane-(note to self: bring motion sickness meds!) :) That sounds a bit unnerving... Is there any way I could PM you for more info about the cruise itself, excursions, etc?

Debi Wess

Did essentially this itinerary with Silversea in January 2011. If you're ony spending one night before the cruise then I'd say look for a hotel in Vina del Mar - adjacent to Valparaiso and much more touristy and upmarket (restaurants, shopping etc). You won't really be able to see all Santaigo has to offer in the half day you have and logistically the airport is on the ocean side of Santiago. From Vina it's only a 15 to 20 minute taxi ride to the port to pick up the cruise. You can book vans/limos to collect you at the airport to take you to Vina via the internet, get them to stop on the way at one of the restaurants along the wine valleys. A long walk around Vina in the morning before you set sail is also worthwhile.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for your info. Flexibility is the key! wow-going through a hurricane-(note to self: bring motion sickness meds!) :) That sounds a bit unnerving... Is there any way I could PM you for more info about the cruise itself, excursions, etc?

Debi Wess

Fortunately the wind speeds do not generally equate to an equivalent sea state because you are in a fjord. The one exception however was on the west coast of Chile where we had to dash out into the Pacific for a few hours before re-entering the fjords. That 10 hour period was very rough.

Did essentially this itinerary with Silversea in January 2011. If you're ony spending one night before the cruise then I'd say look for a hotel in Vina del Mar - adjacent to Valparaiso and much more touristy and upmarket (restaurants, shopping etc). You won't really be able to see all Santaigo has to offer in the half day you have and logistically the airport is on the ocean side of Santiago. From Vina it's only a 15 to 20 minute taxi ride to the port to pick up the cruise. You can book vans/limos to collect you at the airport to take you to Vina via the internet, get them to stop on the way at one of the restaurants along the wine valleys. A long walk around Vina in the morning before you set sail is also worthwhile.

We are staying in Santiago 4 days. Any recommendations for what to do?

Archived