1 day post cruise in Auckland

Will be debarking in Auckland on Jan. 30, 2012 from the Celeberity Century and flying back to the US early 6:30 AM on Jan 31. Having never been to New Zealand before this cruise I have a few questions.

First instinct for hotel is the Novetel at the airport due to it being at the airport and my flight being early AM., but any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Are there sights, attractions that should not be missed in Auckland?

If I book a hotel not in or near the downtown area (such as one at the airport), is there somewhere that offers a luggage storage service so that one could tour the are without lugging the luggage around all day?

If your flight is at 6.30am then check in would be 4.30am, so an airport hotel would be best, Novotel only just opened and a good hotel, 2 minutes walk to the terminal, can book a day tour with a local tour company who will collect you from the ship, get them to meet you at the reception of the Hilton Hotel which is 50 metres from the cruise terminal, otherwise there are often security stopping buses getting onto the wharf to meet cruise passengers, but they never stop us getting to the Hilton, at least you have a good place to wait while your tour guide shows up. You can see a lot in a full day in Auckland, the i-site http://www.i-site.org.nz/auckland can assist with finding a good local company, go for one who is Qualmarked. They will drop you at the Novotel that evening. Its a 25 to 30 minute drive from the City to the airport and you will probably want an early night anyhow. Hope your cruise goes well,

Archived