Ever ended up in the "wrong part of town?"

Tbarr139

Just wondering how many of you have gone off to explore on your own for the day and ended up in a less desirable neighbourhood. I remember back in 1998 we decided to go on our own with another couple and explore Ocho Rios, Jamaica. After about an hour of walking and doing a little shopping in the local stores, we were approached by a less than desirable individual. He asked if we would like to go see the pharmacist. After a few moments he asked again, but this time he used a few choice words that shall not be repeated on this board. I had realized at this time that he wanted to sell us illegal drugs and decided we should leave. A local shop owner decided to approach us and told this guy to leave in no uncertain terms. He then informed us that we may want to explore a different part of town. Directions to a very fine shopping area were given, where we spent the rest of our time unbothered by any "pharmacists.":rolleyes:

Frequently although not cruise related, when travelling abroad there's nothing better than mixing with the locals. Situations are more often than not a lot less dangerous than you perceive them to be. My latest one was in Mexico last year.

Fell asleep on a bus in Cancun and when I woke up the bus was empty and was in the middle of nowhere with all the lights off. Ended up in a rough looking little bar with the bus driver and a load of rough looking Mexicans until it was time for the bus to make the return trip about an hour later. Lovely people who refused to let me buy a drink.

I can't imagine EVER going anywhere without the safety of a group on any Caribbean island, especially Jamaica. :eek: I've met people on cruises who won't even get off the ship in Jamaica. DH and I did ship excursions in Ocho Rios (island tour and Dunn's River Falls) and Montego Bay (float trip on bamboo raft down the Martha Brae river). Both were great excusions, but we were with a group and guide and always felt safe.

I also don't understand why people love the Old Town in San Juan. We went through it on a bus excursion in '02 and I felt fear just looking out the window. It's a total slum with scary, gangy guys roaming around.

The only time we ever did anything on our own was the dockside shops in St. Thomas--within sight of the ship.

My greatest fear is missing the "boat", so I almost always do the ship excursions. Due to a delay at the ferry dock, were an hour late getting back from St. Johns to St. Thomas in '04, but they waited for us. You never saw a group move as fast as we did toward the gangway, lol.

Wow, just goes to show you how different people travel.

We love to "head out" on our own......explore and mix with locals.

We walked all over Old San Juan until 2 am...... back from the salsa club to our hotel. Never felt unsafe. Didnt go down any dark alleys tho...stayed on the main streets. Police are all over old town. One of our favorite places !

Once in the Bahamas we took a wrong turn and ended up in the really poverty area..... rolled down the window and asked for directions. Not only did we get them - we got them with a smile !

On Antigua we rented a car and drove all over. Encountered some road construction and a detour.....well the detour was messed up. Again, directions were given to us with a smile. And we stopped at a roadside "store" in front of a home that had jams and wood carved items etc.... bought some from her. Asked for a rest room (long shot !) and she took us up the hill to her home and let my friend and I use her restroom in her home. Met her young son who was home from school sick -- lovely lady. Thank you Elaine !

In Egypt last November our guide would take us and 2 other couples out at night (the older couples went to bed early) and we had a blast. We were with our guide tho..... can't wait to go back to Egypt.

Got sorta lost in Istanbul when we got off the tram a few stops too early. Just walked around until we got back to where we wanted to be. Lovely people there too. We will be visiting again in a few weeks...can't wait.

We have visited Jamaica twice, some years ago. Rented a villa and a car. Our favorite thing was to just get in the car and go......explore. It was always a treat to find a neat little restaurant on the shore, cold beer and reggae.....

Costa Rica we were exploring in our rental car, found a cool restaurant/bar back in the jungle...... river with 10 ft crocodile behind it..... we were the only tourists there...... went back twice after that !!!!

I can't imagine living my life scared of my shadow. I will say we are always careful and don't take uneccesary risks. A smile and "gracias" goes a long way..... treat people how you would like to be treated and people respond.

BTW: if you miss the ship the world will not stop turning and the sun will come up the next day....... we always make sure we have the means and id to get to the next port - just in case. Hasnt happened but if it does we will just do what we need to do...... and look at it like an adventure.

PS: always take the front page of the daily with the port agent info into port with you. Very handy !

Just wondering how many of you have gone off to explore on your own for the day and ended up in a less desirable neighbourhood. I remember back in 1998 we decided to go on our own with another couple and explore Ocho Rios, Jamaica. After about an hour of walking and doing a little shopping in the local stores, we were approached by a less than desirable individual. He asked if we would like to go see the pharmacist. After a few moments he asked again, but this time he used a few choice words that shall not be repeated on this board. I had realized at this time that he wanted to sell us illegal drugs and decided we should leave. A local shop owner decided to approach us and told this guy to leave in no uncertain terms. He then informed us that we may want to explore a different part of town. Directions to a very fine shopping area were given, where we spent the rest of our time unbothered by any "pharmacists.":rolleyes:

Don't feel bad. We were walking within two blocks of the ship and someone was trying to sell our 16 year old son drugs while he was walking with us in Jamaica! I do my best to avoid cruises that stop there and if I happen to be on one I don't go far. On a previous cruise there a number of years ago we were sailing with our parents (all adults) and people were swimming up to us at the beach trying to sell us drugs. Ugh! I am not one to normally avoid places - have been all around the Caribbean and most of the Mexican ports - but Jamaica is not for me!

Going on our 26th cruise this December and we have found that the adventure begins when you leave your home the morning of debarkation.

Will the car start? Flat tire on the way to the airport? Snow problems? Oh the humanites!!

We have learned what's safe and we don't spend the week cruising in paranoia of what might happen. Wrong side of town? You gotta be kidding! The wrong side of town could be just 5 blocks from your own home.

Plan properly. Do your homework. Be smart.

Enjoy the adventure.

Yep! Our first Solstice cruise, we all headed out to San Cristobal in Puerto Rico. DH insisted we take a right out of the cruise terminal despite me insisting we should go straight first. Well I have been known to be slightly directionally challenged, so it was the consensus among the boys that he knows best. About 30 min later as we were crossing an intersection, a local pulled up in a car and asked if we were from out of town. We replied yes and she said I thought so - you don't want to go any further down this street - its a bad neighborhood. She told us to turn left and follow the ocean to the fort.

Thank goodness because by the time we got there, we were all sweating profusely. Made for some really gorgeous photos and got to see a statue and the Olympics Building which we never would have seen otherwise so it wasn't all bad. Especially the I told you so part!!!

I also don't understand why people love the Old Town in San Juan. We went through it on a bus excursion in '02 and I felt fear just looking out the window. It's a total slum with scary, gangy guys roaming around.

You should have gotten out and walked around. A beautiful area, and safe. We have walked throught it during the day, and at night, and have taken local buses (with locals) to beaches out of town. You missed out.

Just wondering how many of you have gone off to explore on your own for the day and ended up in a less desirable neighbourhood.

Yes, frequently, when visiting the USA. It seems so much easier there than anywhere else we have visited in the world. In US cities, there seems to be a sudden change from "good" area to "bad" area. Anywhere else in the world, the change appears to be gradual and, provided you stay aware of your surroundings, you can sense the change and turn back.

Sue

I have had worse experiences in the "good" part of towns, as I was robbed just off Bahnhofstrasse in Zürich and my husband in the centre of Prague.

On the contrary we have the fondest memories of our stay in Jamaica late 80ies. We rented a car to drive from Ochio Rios to Kingston, which was quite interesting, next day looking for a plantation got lost in the "jungle", felt very strange (my mother almost in panic) when we saw a couple of guys with large machetes on the path in front of us, but they kindly pointed us back in the right direction.

Another time on the beach in Ocho Rios, a Rasta guy came to bum a cigarette off my father, who (European, old-fashioned and always had to be careful with his money) used to roll his own cigarettes - straight tobacco, no funny weeds ! This guy must have been a bit surprised not getting any "kicks" from his cigarette, but spent some time with us, politely and interestingly conversing. He also came back to gives us some oranges.

I think that one has to be cautious, but being too scared you can miss some nice and interesting experiences and only see and experience a very limited part of the area you are visiting.

Another experience in Ocho Rios just came back to me : One evening my husband and I decided to visit to local cinema. This was just like a large courtyard - wooden benches - no ceiling. Once inside we realized we were the only white faces in the place. Got some funny looks, but nobody made any disparaging or rude remarks. During the break we had some funny conversation with our neighbors and learned to appreciate that this - to us very cheap, common and rudimentary - entertainment was the highlight of their week.

Now Ocho Rios in those days was still fairly small, just a couple of hotels, no fancy stores or areas, but a local market and a lot of "slummy" areas. People were dirt poor, but we never experienced any aggression. They were trying to make a buck from the tourists, which were not that plentiful yet, but could accept "no" for an answer. We made lots of excursions on our own, had a super time and some of the best travel memories.

Don't feel bad. We were walking within two blocks of the ship and someone was trying to sell our 16 year old son drugs while he was walking with us in Jamaica! I do my best to avoid cruises that stop there and if I happen to be on one I don't go far. On a previous cruise there a number of years ago we were sailing with our parents (all adults) and people were swimming up to us at the beach trying to sell us drugs. Ugh! I am not one to normally avoid places - have been all around the Caribbean and most of the Mexican ports - but Jamaica is not for me!

Although Jamaica isn't my favorite port, I think it gets a bad rap. My partner and I are 39 and 43 years old and have been cruising together for the past 15 years. It seems we must fit the ideal demographic for one who buys drugs on Caribbean Islands. There are only a few islands that we haven't been offered to buy some sort of drug. This includes in the main shopping plaza in St. Maarten, open streets in St. Thomas and Cozumel, as well as by tour guides/taxi drivers on numerous others. It doesn't matter where you go in the world, there are drugs, and if you fit the profile demographic of the typical purchaser, you will be solicited. Especially Caribbean cruise travelers.

Wow, just goes to show you how different people travel.

We love to "head out" on our own......explore and mix with locals.

We walked all over Old San Juan until 2 am...... back from the salsa club to our hotel. Never felt unsafe. Didnt go down any dark alleys tho...stayed on the main streets. Police are all over old town. One of our favorite places !

Once in the Bahamas we took a wrong turn and ended up in the really poverty area..... rolled down the window and asked for directions. Not only did we get them - we got them with a smile !

On Antigua we rented a car and drove all over. Encountered some road construction and a detour.....well the detour was messed up. Again, directions were given to us with a smile. And we stopped at a roadside "store" in front of a home that had jams and wood carved items etc.... bought some from her. Asked for a rest room (long shot !) and she took us up the hill to her home and let my friend and I use her restroom in her home. Met her young son who was home from school sick -- lovely lady. Thank you Elaine !

In Egypt last November our guide would take us and 2 other couples out at night (the older couples went to bed early) and we had a blast. We were with our guide tho..... can't wait to go back to Egypt.

Got sorta lost in Istanbul when we got off the tram a few stops too early. Just walked around until we got back to where we wanted to be. Lovely people there too. We will be visiting again in a few weeks...can't wait.

We have visited Jamaica twice, some years ago. Rented a villa and a car. Our favorite thing was to just get in the car and go......explore. It was always a treat to find a neat little restaurant on the shore, cold beer and reggae.....

Costa Rica we were exploring in our rental car, found a cool restaurant/bar back in the jungle...... river with 10 ft crocodile behind it..... we were the only tourists there...... went back twice after that !!!!

I can't imagine living my life scared of my shadow. I will say we are always careful and don't take uneccesary risks. A smile and "gracias" goes a long way..... treat people how you would like to be treated and people respond.

BTW: if you miss the ship the world will not stop turning and the sun will come up the next day....... we always make sure we have the means and id to get to the next port - just in case. Hasnt happened but if it does we will just do what we need to do...... and look at it like an adventure.

PS: always take the front page of the daily with the port agent info into port with you. Very handy !

cool stories.... I want to cruise with you next!!:D

Frequently although not cruise related, when travelling abroad there's nothing better than mixing with the locals. Situations are more often than not a lot less dangerous than you perceive them to be. My latest one was in Mexico last year.

Fell asleep on a bus in Cancun and when I woke up the bus was empty and was in the middle of nowhere with all the lights off. Ended up in a rough looking little bar with the bus driver and a load of rough looking Mexicans until it was time for the bus to make the return trip about an hour later. Lovely people who refused to let me buy a drink.

Excellent story....

Not on a cruise , but driving down the I95 in the NY area. We saw a hotel from the highway so we turned off then quickly realized that it did not appear to be a safe area. The we stopped at a gas station and were quickly told to get back on the highway as it was not a safe place to be. I pulled off the highway in Florida for a hotel which was in the Roomsaver book and found myself in a scary run down slum. The motel looked like it had been close for years. I fast tracked back to the highway!! That was in 2009. The people I saw there scared me. I was actually afraid in both of these place and have never felt that way in any ports!

We were walking on a back street in St. Thomas near downtown when a police officer told us to turn around because we were in a dangerous neighborhood...it just looked like a quiet seaside residential neighborhood to me. On the main street in St. Thomas, a guy with lots of silver chains and gold teeth tried to solicit me for a "date" while I was with my husband and other people...this guy followed us for several blocks and really scared me. My mother in law had a thick chain and pendant removed from her neck while walking with a group of people in the middle of town in one of the southern Caribbean islands. Jamaica is the only island where I've been offered drugs...I have heard that there are also people there who offer private walking tours and then take you to shops that pay them a commission and they bully you to buy something.

Years ago we stayed at a fantastic bed and breakfast just outside the French Quarter in New Orleans. The owner told us in no uncertain terms that when we went out the gate, we were to turn left, NOT right! She said, put a stone in your left pocket if you need to, but don't forget.

After a few days, we ventured out, turned right, found a church carnival where they were serving the most delicious jambalaya for like $3.00, an impromptu Dixieland band came marching down the street, we bought some great hand crafted souvenirs, all because we turned right!!

Texancruiser - love the way you think! So many wonderful adventures can be had by getting "lost" and doing your own touring. I tend to go a little bit nuts when people say they stay on the ship or won't go to into town. So very sad.... Why do they bother travelling? They might as well stay home in Peoria, Cleveland, or wherever.... And, this is not an insult to those towns!

These place are no better or worse than places in this country. I dont understand how some people can be so petrified of exploring. So someone harasses you. Walk away. It happens all the time in these countries. Unemployment is high, and to think that you will never run across some not so desirable people or areas, is not realistic. Before you set out for the day, make sure you have the local law enforceent # in your phone. Dont act scared, and people will leave you alone. Of course if your in jamaica, people are going to try and sell you pot, as it is quite abundant there.

Yep, there are drugs everywhere. They may even be in the house next door :eek:

We also need to remember that what is norm for us doesn't always equate to what is norm for others.

I remember while visiting the Jerk Shack (that's like BBQ to you and me) in Montego Bay my husband was "offered" a guys sister..... And he was with me, our two kids, my Mom and Dad ! We were offered drugs numerous times. A simple no thanks took care of it. We laugh about it now.

It is true that you have a better chance of mugging in a tourist area than in a less desirable area. That's where the $$$ is......

Again, we don't do something "crazy stupid" but not get off the ship ??????

I can't even fathom that idea :eek:

"In Egypt last November our guide would take us and 2 other couples out at night (the older couples went to bed early) and we had a blast. We were with our guide tho..... can't wait to go back to Egypt."

I lived in Saudi Arabia for five years (81-85) and had several Egyptian friends. I visited Egypt twice in that period. Even then, Egypt was not a place to gamble going off on your own.

My first visit there, I got in a taxi at the Cairo Airport and before leaving the airport, the cab had to go through a security check. The police officer took the taxi driver's name and registration as well as my name (looking at my passport) and destination.

REASON--I was told by Egyptians that this measure was instituted because many tourists leaving the airport in taxis had been taken to the desert, left there, robbed and sometimes the women raped.

Going to third world countries on your own can be risky.

On a humorous side this thread reminds me of the movie "Vacation" where the Griswolds get off at the wrong exit at St. Louis.

Some of our best experiences have been walking around on our own in ports that some claim are "dangerous" and should only be explored on an organized excursion. Limon, Costa Rica; Cartagena, Colombia and Belize City, Belize come to mind. We have had no problems just walking around in these cities, despite the dire warnings.

I'm in the "Get Out There and Explore" camp. My partner and I rented a scooter for the day in Jamaica and had it break down in a faraway neighborhood. Locals came out to help - and one family even provided us with homemade goodies to take back with us. No money was ever exchanged or requested.

Archived