VIP Embark - Freedom - Fort Lauderdale

thunderbaycruiser

For the first time, we have booked a suite for our upcoming cruise. I have never had VIP embarkation, and want to make sure we go to the right place!

A few reviews recently have mentioned chaos at the port Freedom uses in Fort Lauderdale - long lines to get through security and THEN being directed to a VIP area. This doesn't sound very VIP'ish! Is there some sort of bypass for VIPs to miss the long lines when you first arrive at the port?

Not trying to be a snob, but since we are paying for VIP this time, I just don't want to miss where we are supposed to go as "VIP newbies".

The one and only time I had the chance to fly Business Class, the bypasses at every step (including security at the airport) blew my mind! Oh how the other half lives!!!

OMG! The CC roll call is stalking me! LOL!

I'm really excited to try out a Suite for the first time! Can't believe its just 2 weeks away!

I just have this fear of standing in a long line, not knowing any better since its the first time as a VIP, and then finding out after "oooooohhhh, VIPs go over theeeerrrrreeeeee"!!

The last time I embarked from Ft Lauderdale there was a line for VIPS marked with a red ribbon instead of the blue ribbon for the normal lines. A Canival employee checked your boarding documents and directed you to the appropriate line. Near the security check point the merger of the lines was controlled by another employee.

After the security checkpoint the VIPs are directed to a VIP desk for checkin while everyone else went to another set of desks for checkin. VIPs then waited in a roped off seating area. That area lined up and loaded first. It's hard to call the VIP checkin a room, it's more like a partitioned area in a warehouse but it is separated from the regular checkin. A Carnival employee seated the VIPs in the order they checked in and they lined up to board in the same order.

We arrived around 10:30am and at that point the lines were not long and everyone was being routed through the VIP desk (but not the lines or seating) with priority given to the VIPs, separate line with the same red ribbon. About the time we were next in line, 10:55 or so, the non-VIPs were moved to the bigger room with more checkin desks and the VIPs then had their checkin desks all to themselves. The VIPs were loaded, then the people that had checked in early, then they started checking the rest of us in and we boarded as soon as we had checked in.

It did look like chaos but it was pretty well controlled. The only hassle would be the merger at the security machines but all the ports I went through are like that. So far the new Miami port is the best at the VIP treatment but the priority checkin and boarding is nice no matter where you're at.

We have cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale 10 times as VIP and only once had a problem, and for that problem I got $100 OBC on our next cruise.

At pier 19 & 21 which are Carnivals normal pier's (they were using pier 2 for awhile) they have large VIP signs. Just walk to the front of the normal line and you will see them.

Inside the VIP door they will check your FunPass and passport or BC. Then you go through VIP security line and to the VIP (so called) lounge. Get your Sail & Sign and on board you go. Have fun.

The last time I embarked from Ft Lauderdale there was a line for VIPS marked with a red ribbon instead of the blue ribbon for the normal lines. A Canival employee checked your boarding documents and directed you to the appropriate line. Near the security check point the merger of the lines was controlled by another employee.

Thanks for the detailed info!! Much appreciated! The second part (roped off area, own checkin desks) seemed to go smoothly for the reviews I was reading.. just confusion about the first bit! I will make sure I look for the RED ribbon!

I'm pretty sure that every port has a sign that says "VIP", and that's the line you go to. Then there is a separate waiting area.

Thanks! That is what these other VIP passengers were expecting, but did not seem to find the VIP signs. Its becoming clear the signs are there, so just have to look carefully for them!! Thanks again for your help!

I'm really excited to try out a Suite for the first time! Can't believe its just 2 weeks away!

I just have this fear of standing in a long line, not knowing any better since its the first time as a VIP, and then finding out after "oooooohhhh, VIPs go over theeeerrrrreeeeee"!!

LOL! You betcha!!;):p

With the help of these kind posters, we will fumble through it and find the VIP! It was pretty easy in NY, but that's the only time I've been VIP...and haven't ever sailed out of Ft Lauderdale yet. As long as I can smell that DOD with my name on it, I will power through all those lines:D

Thanks, everyone!

For the first time, we have booked a suite for our upcoming cruise. I have never had VIP embarkation, and want to make sure we go to the right place!

A few reviews recently have mentioned chaos at the port Freedom uses in Fort Lauderdale - long lines to get through security and THEN being directed to a VIP area. This doesn't sound very VIP'ish! Is there some sort of bypass for VIPs to miss the long lines when you first arrive at the port?

Not trying to be a snob, but since we are paying for VIP this time, I just don't want to miss where we are supposed to go as "VIP newbies".

The one and only time I had the chance to fly Business Class, the bypasses at every step (including security at the airport) blew my mind! Oh how the other half lives!!!

We are vip and all you have to do its to tell one of the people with carnival who will greet you and tell you where to go, you get those perks but that is it, unless you are a REAL Platinum and then there are some other goodies! Have fun!

:eek:

OMG..I swear I'm not stalking!! :p The thread title drew me in because this is my 10th CCL cruise and I will have VIP embark as well.

I guess I'll see a lot of you at check in!!! :D

We were out of Ft Lauderdale 1 yr ago. Things could have changed....

VIP boarding is to the left side (south???) of the building compared to general boarding. It is next to the luggage drop off. Even though you are VIP, you will stand in some lines so dont be surprised--rest assured, you will be in shorter lines. They check your boarding info and passport, then you go thru security (similar to the the airport). You then go to the next floor of the building where to the left, there will be a smaller, walled off room. In this room, they will place your name on a list and you can sit and have a snack until they call your name. At this point, they officially check you in and hand you your SS card. Next, is your security picture (VIP line for this) and then you are practically on the ship.

We like VIP boarding--much easier and quicker!

Also, we are on the same sailing :D

Archived