Anyone every taken a bicycle on a cruise?

LML101

I'm combining a cruise with a bicycle tour, so I'll be bringing my bicycle with me. I was originally thinking that I would leave the bike in the box that it will be packed in when I fly. I was hoping that it could be stored somewhere till I'm ready to debark.

Now I'm thinking that it would be nice to have the bike when I'm in port. So I'm wondering how easy it would be to take it on and off when I'm in the ports.

I'm guessing that it will depend on the crew and how flexible they will be. Hoping that they would store it down in the luggage area, and someone might be able to access it for me when I get to port. Or maybe I could keep it in my stateroom (I'll have a balcony).

Has anyone brought a bike with them, and anyone try to take the bike on and off in port?

I've worked on a ship here in Seward, in the luggage area, so I know there is room down in the luggage area, and the crew has a number of bikes that they use in port that are stored that.

The ship is the Splendour, and the ports will be in the Canary Islands.

I'm actually doing a cruise, then biking for 10 day, then another cruise, then another 3.5 weeks biking. So the second cruise (Holland America), my bike won't be boxed, and I won't have a balcony.

When the Monarch was in Los Angeles, a friend and his wife brought their bicycles on board. We boarded together so I actually saw the bikes come on board. I understand that they did it quite often. Not sure if permission is granted case by case but I'd call RCI and Holland and ask what you need to do to bring along your bike. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Pamela

(Tucson, AZ)

I would love that...I am a Bike rider...biking 100 miles a week....20 miles a day 5 days a week to work and home....we are leaving on that Crazy Liberty TA cruise next Saturday and am having a hard time finding Bike rentals....sure wish i could bring it on this cruise though!

Mike

While looking for a folding bike, and after reading the reviews for the bikes, I was amazed how many people take them on cruises. I do not remember where they kept them and no specific cruise line was mentioned.

Considering the cost to check a bicycle on most airlines, you'd probably be money ahead to rent a bike in the ports where you'd like to ride.

They are going to need their own bike for the next part of their trip. You wouldn't use a rental for a bicycle tour. It's not an uncommon practice to pack up a bike and ship it to another location (typically you go to your local bike shop and they send it to another one). I have a friend that did a sea to sea trip on his bike... started in California and then ended in North Carolina and then decided to finish riding the rest of the way back up here to Ohio. He had his bike shipped from Ohio to California to start that trip out.

On our last cruise ExOS a group of bikers brought their Harleys on board.

So, I would say if you can arrange to take a motorcycle, you should be able to take a bicycle.

Yes, the biker cruises are not uncommon but they only accept a very limited number of people for it.

Guests cannot bring bicycles on board. Bicycles cannot be rented from the ship; however, they may be rented in most ports.

Yes, people have taken bicycles on board, so I guess it is allowed.

Two diametrically opposed answers. Pretty soon we will start to get the reputation of RCI's customer service reps.:eek:

Two diametrically opposed answers. Pretty soon we will start to get the reputation of RCI's customer service reps.:eek:

Well, as I said, motorcycles were brought on EOS. That is a fact. I have pictures in my review.

Well, as I said, motorcycles were brought on EOS. That is a fact. I have pictures in my review.
Those are granted access onboard because they are part of the group that has booked as part of the Hogs at Sea or similar.

I would call both cruiselines, and would, if possible, have a copy of my FULL itinerary, including the bike tours, on hand to fax to them. Or invoices/itineraries for each leg (flight/bike/ship/bike/flight). I would be hesitant to ask if I could bring my bike to my room because of the problems with either riding elevators which are very crowded when coming back to the ship/getting off the ship in the ports. Same for the stairways, and the halls can be pretty tight too--like 2 people across. I would, if anything, see if they can store it for you, but not plan on riding it in port--stick to rentals..

It's worth a shot...I have a friend who has done several of these bike tours-one through the UP of Michigan, and one from Albuquerque to Denver. On the first, he bought a "bike box" which is a piece of luggage that fits the bike broken down, and locks like luggage. Box alone was about $400, and airline fees were like 75-100$. On the second one, he actually ended up just buying a new bike in Albuquerque..and had a friend in Denver that put it on Craiglist for him when he was done. Funny thing was he actually MADE money on that one, because the buyer paid more for it than he had paid. :eek:

But seriously, you should call RCI customer service. They will know for sure whether you can bring it on the ship.

If you get the verbal ok from RCCL, I wold suggest you get it in writting.

Get an email followed up by an ok on RCCL letterhead.

You want to have something in your hand if challanged by a crew member,

as prior posts have shown "there are different answers to the same question".

You definitely dont want to get refused as your trying to check in and board for the cruise :(.

Jeff

If you are allowed, you need to store it in your room. The ship does not take responsibilty if you say you can't find it and the crew took it.

And just where would the crew take it?

Do you seriously think that a crew member is so dumb to atttempt to steal a bicycle?

I know for a fact that the motorcylces on my cruise were not stored in the owners' cabins.

And just where would the crew take it?

Do you seriously think that a crew member is so dumb to atttempt to steal a bicycle?

I know for a fact that the motorcylces on my cruise were not stored in the owners' cabins.

Little different, they made arrangements for the motorcycle. With a bicycle, why would the cruise line accept responsibly if something would happen?

So, tell me how much extra you paid for your motorcycle and where they stored it?

Did I say that motorcycles would need to be stored in the cabin?

Did I say that the crew would steal it? All I am trying to point out is that the cruise line would not accept any responsibility if something happened.

Archived