Anyone every taken a bicycle on a cruise?

LML101

Little different, they made arrangements for the motorcycle. With a bicycle, why would the cruise line accept responsibly if something would happen?

So, tell me how much extra you paid for your motorcycle and where they stored it?

Did I say that motorcycles would need to be stored in the cabin?

Did I say that the crew would steal it? All I am trying to point out is that the cruise line would not accept any responsibility if something happened.

Here is your exact quote:

If you are allowed, you need to store it in your room. The ship does not take responsibilty if you say you can't find it and the crew took it.

How is it that you know that arrangements cannot be made that the ship will not store the bike and take responsibility for it?

Princess allows bikes...friends had them on a rt San Francisco cruise...No tender ports. They just walked them on and off. Kept them in the cabin, on balcony most of the time, they brought some tarps. Only problem was with the tool kit, was taken at embarkation and then returned at some point during the cruise.

I used to get a magazine called Budget Travel, and it recommended bringing a bicycle on a cruise as a way to have cheap transportation on the islands. Personally, I thought it was a bit of a whacky tip. First, where are you going to store those bikes? Second, you know what the crowd's like at islands -- it doesn't seem to be convenient.

Yes, I've seen Captain Johnny riding his bike back onto the ship from port. My husband was very jealous!

Well, as I said, motorcycles were brought on EOS. That is a fact. I have pictures in my review.

We are talking about bicycles right? Somehow you bring motorcycles into the mix that are brought on the ships by special groups on special sailings. They don't just show up at the gangway. The whole point is that people had better make sure of what they are doing before they show up with their bike, find that they can't brig it aboard, and then have to do something with it before they leave on their cruise.

Funny story about the bike box that I'm going to use, and a suitcase. Normally when I do a bicycle tour, I pack what I can in the bike box along with the bike, and put the rest in the panniers, which I check in as a second piece of luggage. This time, I was thinking of buying a throwaway suitcase for the cruise, and putting everying in there. But I was working on the Radience this summer, and saw a couple who had disembarked off the ship here in Seward. They were putting bicycles together. I spoke with them, and they had boarded the ship in Vancouver, where they live, and were going to spend six weeks cycling from Seward back to Vancouver. I asked them how the heck they had packed for the cruise (I know how to pack extremely lightly in the clothes department for the bicycle tour), but it's been a stretch thinking how to manage the cruise with extremely limited wardrobe. They brought a few extra things and were heading to the Post Office to mail them back home. They had a suitcase, and I asked what they were going to do with it, and they said they were going to leave it there or toss it, so I took it, and that's what I'm going to use to put all my bicycle panniers, camping gear, and clothes in. Then I'll also leave it Sao Paulo. I also took their bicycle boxes, and will reuse them.

Funny thing, a few weeks later, I was hosting two other bicycle tourist through Warmshowers, and they were telling me that they had met a couple, a few hundred miles away, who had taken a cruise to Alaska and were biking back to Vancouver. They mentioned that they had met a women who was also going on a cruise/bicycle tour, and they had given her their suitcase. We had a laugh when I told them that I was that woman!

They also told me that they 'found' this suitcase on the street a few blocks from their house, so this suitcase has quite a story!

You worked on Radiance and you are asking us about RCI's policies and how easy this bike thing would be to pull off?:confused::confused:

I've seen several bikes on the ship, but what I was asking about was whether anyone had brought their bikes, and if they were able to take them on and off in the port.

I've seen several bikes on the ship, but what I was asking about was whether anyone had brought their bikes, and if they were able to take them on and off in the port.

I have no idea, but if I brought my bike I wouldnt let it out of my sight. I'm sure you have a nice bike for all the riding you do

Have been on a cruise in the Caribbean were there several motor bikes on board. They were driven off at each port. This was arranged before the cruise. Even the captain had one.

So contact RCCL and Holland America and say what you want to do. Have seen the large battery operated wheel chairs in the coridors outside staterooms so a bike shouldn't be problem storing it on board.

The problem will be getting it through the x-ray machines and security.

Two diametrically opposed answers. Pretty soon we will start to get the reputation of RCI's customer service reps.:eek:

Spoken with and seen guests with bikes last year on Independence, they had folding bikes and cycled in all the ports.

On my 10-2-2011 Freedom of the Seas cruise there was a large group of bicyclist's on board. They brought their bicycles on board and they were stored somewhere on the first deck. The group did riding tours in Jamaica and Cozumel. There were about 40-50 people in this group and they had to make special arrangements with Royal Caribbean for boarding and storing the bicycles. I noticed in Falmouth that all the cyclists debarked at the same time and had to go through a special customs clearance so that the tires on the bicycles could be treated with a chemical so as not to bring any contamination into Jamaica or back on the ship when they returned.

Archived