Flag Ship?

Krazy Kruizers

For years we all have known that the Rotterdam was originally the flag ship of the HAL fleet. And then the Amsterdam was given the title of co-flag ship.

But recently I heard that the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam have been named co-flag ships of the fleet.

Has anyone heard anything like this?

I have always thought Rotterdam a beautiful ship but have not seen her since her 'upgrade' which took away her aft pool. Amsterdam is nice but I always preferred Rotterdam.

They are/have been world cruisers and I think that fitting for flagships.

JMO.......

I'm wondering, KK, if the reference you heard might have come from the speaker's misunderstanding of "flagship"?

We all hear the term in business/advertising as shorthand for the newest, shiniest, something with a little extra: flagship store, flagship hotel in the chain.

The marine meaning doesn't come to mind as often.

So, maybe some was a little sloppy with words, and used "flagship" as shorthand for "newest"?

Just a thought....

I'm wondering, KK, if the reference you heard might have come from the speaker's misunderstanding of "flagship"?

We all hear the term in business/advertising as shorthand for the newest, shiniest, something with a little extra: flagship store, flagship hotel in the chain.

So, maybe some was a little sloppy with words, and used "flagship" as shorthand for "newest"?

Just a thought....

I rather suspect this is the case. "Deflagging" a flagship I suggest would not be a good PR thing for that ship. Besides Rotterdan VI is my favourite in the fleet so hands off!!!!!!!!

I rather suspect this is the case. "Deflagging" a flagship I suggest would not be a good PR thing for that ship. Besides Rotterdan VI is my favourite in the fleet so hands off!!!!!!!!

We loved the Rotterdam too - she is hands down far superior to the NA (sorry - personal opinion - no flames please). I hope that the two remain the flagships as I think they both deserve it:D

Just a thought....

It came from a "Host" on that site -- he thought that he had read somewhere that when the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam arrived -- they became the new flagships of the fleet.

Just a thought....

I agree.

Sure sounds like the 'host' didn't have a clue what they were talking about. When you get to the third tier of 'I heard', somehow it loses any weight .

IMO

The Amsterdam and the Rotterdam are my two favorite ships. (However, I haven't been on the Rotterdam since she was refitted so I'm not sure how I'd feel about her now.) I would really feel bad if they opted to take that designation away from the Rotterdam and the Amsterdam!

Flagship in naval terminology is the ship where the fleet, squadron, etc commander flies his flag and uses as his headquarters. I'm not sure there is a common definition for flagship from one cruise line to the next. In some cases in the past the most senior captain of a line was the captain of the lines flagship but I don't know that to be true these days unless perhaps Cunard carries on that tradition. With so many ships these days using the same design flagship doesn't seem to mean much except bragging rights. I can think of an exception or two in the past where one ship unquestionably stood out from the rest of the fleet, like the old Rotterdam or the old Royal Princess for that line, but not so much anymore.

The first one didn't get the year right; the E-dam inaugural was July 2008.

When such a factual detail is wrong right out of the starting gate, how much faith can you have in the rest of the article?

I agree this source is 'lacking' at best.

Considering the source is important IMO

There's a lot of folks, and many other cruise lines that will refer to the newest as the flagship. While I understand why they may take this approach (fann1sh hits all those points), rest assured that Amsterdam and Rotterdam are the twin flagships of our fleet.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I knew I was right and really hated to tell a "Host" that the information he/she had gotten was not accurate.

Archived