canada vs. us customs....

only1deejay

So Im arriving at Canada Place.... I assume I will be greeted by canada customs and then on my back to Seattle, WA. met by US customs....

my question is this....do I need to have on hand receipts for all my electronic gadgets???

HD camera, IPOD, 35mm camera???

just to be safe or can I bring along one of these??? Its a declaration form for personal effects taken abroad.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

If you are concerned about this issue then you want to go with the certificate.

We have never registered our items in all our traveling and have never had a problem. With that said that doesn't mean that we might now have a problem so if you have a lot of electronics with you or are just concerned go with the form although most people will say not to worry about it.

Keith

Are you asking about airports or simply arriving at the cruise port in Vancouver? For the airport in Canada, yes you will clear immigration and customs upon arrival, and I have never had anyone, anyplace in the world examine my electronics. I think this is a non-issue. If you are asking about customs when you board the ship, I don't recall any. Perhaps someone else has a difference experience, but you would have already cleared customs when you entered Canada.

If you are flying home, you would preclear US immigration and customs at YVR, so you will not be greeted by anyone in Seattle. You simply walk off the plane and go to baggage claim.

We drive thru this point 3 or 4 times a year with an SUV full of kids, skiis and sometimes bikes too and everything else one bring; computer, cameras, iEverything.

100% of the time for us rolled down the window gave them our passports, asked where we are from, where we are going, how long and why, do we have food/produce and passed thru with not a stop or inspection, YMMV.

If you have a 'declaration of personal effects' the I would carry that just to be on the safe side.

We travel all over the world and have never had our items questioned but I have heard of persons who have. The items could be seized and held until you show proof of purchase if you run into someone having a bad day.

My high end DSLR is registered with US Customs, my mid-level and lower end ones aren't.

I travel with a netbook, they aren't going to question a banged up $500 computer with stickers all over the lid (I "inherited" it from a former coworker) but when I used to travel with a new $5K IBM Thinkpad courtesy of a different job, I registered it before I left the US.

If you have receipts then by all means bring them....in this day of age it is highly unlikely that you will be asked for them but you never know. To put it in perspective I used to cross the border as often as twice a week and have never been asked.

I live 30 miles from the Canadian border near Niagara Falls, NY. We frequently fly out of Canada if we are going overseas as they have better flights and often cheaper for packages. Anyway, when we go through customs at the border in our car, we are asked where we are from, citizenship, where we are going (airport), how long will we be staying (3 hours if flight is on time) and if we are bringing anything into Canada for a Canadian citizen (like cigarettes, money, etc.).

We take our trip overseas and arrive back at the Toronto or Hamilton airport. We go to the non-Canadian customs line (it is always very short). We are asked how long we are staying in Canada (1 hour to get to the border), if we are bringing anything into Canada for a Canadian citizen (no). We are told to have a nice day and come back soon. We get our car and drive to the US border. We hand over our passports. How long have you been in Canada? 2 hours. Are you bringing into the US anything you purchased in Canada worth over $200.00? No. (by this time the computer has run our license plate and it tells the customs agent we crossed into Canada 2 weeks ago.) Where in Canada did you go? Airport? Where did you travel to? Dominican Republic. Did you have a good vacation? Yes, we loved it. Are you bringing back more than 2 bottles of alcohol or more than $800.00 in merchandise you purchased? No. Are you bringing in more than $200.00 worth of foreign currency? No. Well, you have a great tan and welcome back to the US! End of story.

We always have receipts in our hands ready to hand them over to the US border agent when we drive up in addition to our passports. We have never been asked to hand them over.

• 4 weeks later...

The issue is to prove that you purchased the items in the US. A copy of your sales receipt should accompany all such items just in case.

The days of cheaper electronics outside of the US have diminished as other countries pile on the taxes.

Canadian customs does not care if you are US and leaving their country. US customs at the border doesn't have the time to inspect anyone because of the mass of vehicles and the limited number of agents. Now if you have a 65 VW minivan painted with psychedelic colors........

Archived