Microwaves?

alpenglow

Does the Island Princess have them in balcony rooms? We're cruising newbies and hope that this hotel-room standard is also available on the ship!

Related question - if there is no microwave, where could we get water sufficiently hot enough to make coffee (we're bringing a French press) and tea?

Many thanks in advance!

Does the Island Princess have them in balcony rooms? We're cruising newbies and hope that this hotel-room standard is also available on the ship!

Related question - if there is no microwave, where could we get water sufficiently hot enough to make coffee (we're bringing a French press) and tea?

Many thanks in advance!

The water in the HC or from Room Service is hot enough for coffee or tea. There is a reasonably good choice of tea bags in the HC. FWIW, DW needs her morning coffee and uses a French Press most mornings at home. We brought one on a cruise and dealing with the grounds was such a hassle that she didn't do it again. She buys the coffee card and/or brings Starbucks VIA.

Many thanks in advance!

I've never seen microwaves in any hotel room except for extended-stay hotels... :confused: and certainly not on a cruise ship.

I bring an auto off kettle, it's small and light weight. It turns off the second it boils and use a melita coffee cone for drip brewing. Here is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-17-Ounce-Cordless-Electric/dp/B004EBV0IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319723211&sr=8-1

edited to say that the hot water from room service is not hot enough to brew good coffee. The steward will keep your cups clean for you, but we clean up after ourselves. Be sure to dispose of your grounds in a baggie, the trash cans are unlined and it's not fair to have a mess for your steward. :)

Microwaves are common in hotels that cater to the business crowd like HI Express and Hampton Inn.

I remember having a microwave at the Seattle HI Express. That was nice to have when we got some take out nearby but didn't eat it all at once. But if it's either a fridge or a microwave, I would take the fridge. But then I'm not a coffee drinker.

I've never seen microwaves in any hotel room except for extended-stay hotels... :confused: and certainly not on a cruise ship.

Quite a few hotel chains now have microwaves and minifridges in them for their guests. Even Super 8 has them in quite a few.

I have been in quite a few hotels that have microwaves but have never seen one on a cruise ship.

HOT water on the cruise ship is another thing. The room service and HC water is not very hot for making tea or coffee.

Technically you can not bring a kettle or cup heater on board.

Good one!

I see you caught the joke as you edited your reply. I certainly wouldn't want to bring one.

Some people want to bring everything but the kitchen sink. I have seen magic bullets, blenders to make drinks in your room etc.

For newbies that was not meant towards you as you really have no idea what to expect.

I just get a tickle from those replies.

the less I have to pack the better.

I also like the post about the ladies who have 4 suitcases just for themselves for a 7 day cruise.:)

Bill

Archived