Dan Hanrahan - live webcast from Silhouette

lysolqn

Question about Smoking

Dan mentions that Celebrity has some of the best policies in the industry. Feels current policies keeps both smokers and non-smokers happy.

Question about Dress Code

Dan said they ask Crew to enforce dress codes as written, but acknowledges over time, things change and evolve. He also says it is a challenge for the crew, but they will continue to stay focused on maintaining the current code.

Question about Crew interactivity

Dan talked about existing programs and 1 feature where Ship officers play volleyball in the pool - in uniform. mentioned something new called "Damien's Egg Drop" not sure what that is, but sounds strange LOL

Also mentioned Celebrity will be posting many photos of Silhouette on Facebook in the coming days.

Thanks Andy. Wish I was one of those guests!

Anne Maria

Hi Anne Maria,

I was proud to be invited to the naming Ceremony for Celebrity Solstice. It was so moving, and an incredible ceremony. I do not believe there was a dry eye in the house. I will never forget it.

FYI, the naming Ceremony has stayed fairly constant with Solstice's 3 sister ships.

Hi Anne Maria,

I was proud to be invited to the naming Ceremony for Celebrity Solstice. It was so moving, and an incredible ceremony. I do not believe there was a dry eye in the house. I will never forget it.

FYI, the naming Ceremony has stayed fairly constant with Solstice's 3 sister ships.

I wonder what they are going to name her?

Well done, Andy. But I guess some of us were also hoping for some real news.

Hi Dave,

I agree. While I truly appreciate the live sessions... I was hoping for something more substantial. The only real "news" I heard, was of new features coming to Reflection. FWIW, I can't blame Dan, as this was intended to be a Q & A session - from questions asked by Facebook members. From what I observed, many of the posts were not Silhouette questions, as well as several off-topic comments. Perhaps there wasn't all that much to choose from ? While I have a Facebook account, I do not spend more than a few minutes a day there. I know that many love it, but it has little appeal to me.

Personally, I'd rather they didnt go strictly the Q & A route in the future, and have Mr Hanrahan just tell us what's going on at Celebrity. A live tour of Silhouette would have been fantastic.

Keep in mind, this is only the 2nd time this has been offered by Celebrity. Hopefully, it will improve over time.

I thought the galley tour was free????

I believe Celebrity still offers the complimentary tours to Captains Club members. This is a premium tour they have recently been offering. I've been trying to find out more about it, with no luck. It sounds like a more detailed "behind the scenes" tour.

I believe Celebrity still offers the complimentary tours to Captains Club members. This is a premium tour they have recently been offering. I've been trying to find out more about it, with no luck. It sounds like a more detailed "behind the scenes" tour.

Thanks Andy! I know when we were on the Equinox in '09 we took the galley tour for free and we are Captains Club members but it was just a quick tour but still informative.:)

Would like to know Celebrities plans for the Northeast USA, particularly Cape Liberty, Bayonne?

It is my understanding the port was sold and that the new owners intention is to use the port for more super barge type ships. Channels and berths will be dug deeper, but will cruising continue past 2012 at the port?

Also, why doesn't Celebrity use Brooklyn Red Hook Terminal or the Manhattan Terminal. Seems NCL, HAL and Carnival have Manhattan locked up and Princess is the only one using Brooklyn although after next year that is also going the way of the dodo bird.

We need new blood in the NE!!

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (RCCL) has a long (I think 30 year) lease on the pier. If I am not mistaking they have a $30 million investment. Unlikely they will give that up nor is it unlike that new owners will throw them out. I always thought the pier was owned by the city

One of the original plans was to dredge the channel but the environmental group got envolved and they have been fighting since the start.

When the terminal first opened up for RCCL ships, first ship Empress of the Seas after renovations and re-naming (was Nortic Empress), I saw an artist conception of what was planned for the entire pier. It showed store, hotel or Motel, resturants, a park etc. The current check-in terminal was suppose to be temporary.

The Brooklyn Red Hook terimnal is leased by Carnival Corporation, used by HAL, Cunard and Carnival on occastion.

Years ago the cruise lines asked New York to fix up the Manhatten cruise terminals (55th & 12th Ave). Typical politics they messed around and dragged it our with nothing happening. That is when RCCL leased the Bayonne terminal (use to be a military wharehouse) while Carnival Corporation leased the Booklyn Rd Hook pier. Right after Carinval and royal Caribbean move the State, in Albany dedicated money to fix the cruise terminal in Manhatten. To little to late

I have spoken to some of the RCCL big shots and asked about putting more ships in Bayonne. Problem that most said is the depth of the water near the terminal and of course environmental isssues are still their. Also if they wanted to put the Oasis or Allure in Bayonne they have have to rebult the terminal to be able to handle to large number of passengers.

Remember Fort Lauderdale built a terminal for the Oasis class ships

Carnivals Corp Brroklyn terminal can only handle one ship at a time and if you have ever tried gettin their from NJ what a pain. Get out of Holland Tunnel drive through lower Manhatten (heavy traffic) go through Brroklyn Battery tunnel exit out into Brooklyn streets. The terminal itself is very nice but traffic congestion dropping people off and/or getting to the parking lot (which is expensive) is a hassle. Because it can only have one of its ships in Brooklyn at a time the Manhatten terminal is still used

No reason for RCCL to move ships back to NY when Bayonne is doing fine and I am sure at much lower cost. I have seen a Royal Caribbean ship and the Azamara ship at the terimlal at the same time.

On my last Celebrity Captains Club Elite members got invited free to a Bridge Tour, Galley tour, and Backstage tour.

Not 100% sure if it is ONLY elite members or all members

I agree. I think there was very inadequate storage space on the Equinox, and I suspect the Silhouette will be the same, based on pictures I have seen.

We have done 2 Transatlantic cruises on Solstice class ships and not had a problem with storage. The hanging closet space is a bit tight, but really wasn't a problem.

The one thing I don't like is that because the closet has sliding doors, you can only get into one side at a time.

The big plus is that the bathrooms have tons of storage space and the showers are awesome!!

We have done 2 Transatlantic cruises on Solstice class ships and not had a problem with storage. The hanging closet space is a bit tight, but really wasn't a problem.

The one thing I don't like is that because the closet has sliding doors, you can only get into one side at a time.

The big plus is that the bathrooms have tons of storage space and the showers are awesome!!

I agree, I love the storage in the bathroom. In fact I love the S-Class bathrooms full stop. Aside from the closet that seems smaller on the S-Class ships is the lack drawer space in the standard cabins, exacerbated by the bedside cabinets that are no more than stands. The overbed cupboards are roomy and fine for me at 6', but maybe a challenge for some. There is a large disparity between the standard cabins and the S2s. Having stayed in one of those there is a huge amount of storage, not least very large drawers. I'd never be able to fill all the available space in an S2, even if I was Imelda Marcos.

Phil

From NJ to Brooklyn Red Hook Terminal, take the Goethals Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing into Staten Island, then to the Verazzano, 10 minutes from the bridge. Takes me 1 1/2 hours from Pt. Pleasant, NJ

I have seen some terrible traffic on the Belt Parkway, especially as it get closer to the Battery tunnel, where you have to get off.

The bottom line is that the Brooklyn Red Hook Terminal is leased/owned by Carnival corporation. Very unlikely that Royal Craibbean, Celebrity or Azamara will ever use it, except a posible emergency.

With all that Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines invested in Bayonne I would venutre a guess that it will be here for a long time.

Archived