Junior Suite Hump Balcony- is it really bigger than the other JS balconies?

kms118

Thank you for the reply. That's true. We had an aft balcony cabin on our last trip (Carnival Conquest), but there was always a tiny bit of soot on the balcony and I felt a bit of vibration back there that I didn't like.

So, what about regular JS balconies vs the hump balcony (Mariner of the Seas)?

Only on Radiance Class ships do the "hump" balconies vary in size...and the largest balconies are NOT the center humps....it's the ones on the edge of the hump that have more space. The cabin itself will be the same size as any other cabin of the same catagory. Voyager class (Mariner) hump balconies are the same size as any other side balcony in that catagory.

The aft balconies are deeper than a side balcony...same width, but deeper. Again, with very few exceptions, the cabins are the same size as any other of the same catagory.

The hump area is very, very convenient...no long hallways to traverse every time you come and go to your cabin...the hump area is nice. If you plan on having alot of guests on your balcony, then the aft is what you want...plenty of space for lots of folks, but a long walk to get there!

Our hump balcony is at the very start of the hump. I'm just not sure I want another aft cabin after our last one (as much as folks love them). The hike was also a pain (to get to and from anything). I just really wanted to be closer to my family. Poo. Tough decision.

The hump cabin balconies on Mariner are slightly larger than the ones on the sides. I doubt that you'd notice the difference that much. The hump is a great location so I'd stick with the hump cabin. Sometimes it's better to be further away from family. My next family cruise, I have 9624 (hump JS) booked on Adventure. The rest of the family is on deck 4. :p They don't have a balcony so I'll be nice and share some of my space with them.

After doing a little research, it looks like it's unusual for a deck 10 aft JS to even be available. Should I snatch it up? I would be switching from 9614. I was a little concerned with getting 9614 because it is at the front of the hump and I hear that it can be windy. I feel like I'm being picky. ; ) Also, the aft cabin has a sofa bed and the hump room does not. That might be more useful for our 18 month old. Is the sofa itself bigger? Hmmmm...... I put the cabin on a 24 hr reserve and will ask hubby when he wakes up.

Just want to add how helpful these boards are. I really appreciate it when people reply. It has helped me plan better and I also feel like I enjoy my cruise more, knowing what to do etc. Thanks!

You got a tough one! If it were a Radiance class ship instead of a Voyager, I would say grab the aft cabin! However, Voyager class ships are a little different.

I assume you have a hold on either 1694 or 1394 on Mariner. Both of those are connecting cabins, but so is 9614 so no change there. I'm not a fan of connecting cabins. I had one once and it seemed like we could hear the neighbors more than usual, but may have simply been noisier neighbors. Are your family in the connecting cabin? If so, you can tell them to quiet down without seeming offensive.

From a balcony standpoint, it looks like you have a little more space on the deck 10 aft than on deck 9 hump. However, on the Voyager afts, you have the back end of the ship and structure that obscures part of the view. When I booked, I had a choice between a deck 7 aft JS or the deck 9 hump JS on Adventure. I decided on the hump JS because I had seen pictures of the view from deck 7 aft and didn't like the amount of deck between the edge of balcony and the ocean or the beams coming down. Deck 10 doesn't seem to have as much open space as deck 7. I might have taken a deck 10 JS if one had been available.

You bring up a good point about the couch and a toddler. Cabin 9614 shows that it is for 2 people so no couch or pullman for a third person. The aft cabins on deck 10 both have a pull-out couch. Cabin 9614 should also have a couch, but it doesn't pull out to make a bed. Having the pull-out would be easier with your child.

If I were in your situation, I would probably make the switch, mostly because of the kid/couch and a little more balcony. See what your hubby says. If he's anything like mine, he'll just say, "Book whatever one makes you happiest, dear." ;):p

Thank you so much! I think things are resolved over here. Apparently the JS aft will be more $$ and we are already paid and don't want to pay any more. I do with that the JS on the hump had a sofa bed, though. Sigh. It will still be lovely and the location will be awesome!!!

We have Aft JS 1706 on an upcoming Freedom cruise in November -- and wouldn't give that cabin up for all the tea in China. Great cabin ... incredible large balcony ... the great view of the wake ... an very quiet in the hallway outside, as there is limited foot traffic.

Michael and Silke

I'm curious - why is an aft JS more than a hump JS? I've switched cabins several times if I see one that I like better open up. As long as I stay in the same category (JS to JS), I've never been charged more, even after final payment. New policy?

After doing a little research, it looks like it's unusual for a deck 10 aft JS to even be available. Should I snatch it up? I would be switching from 9614. I was a little concerned with getting 9614 because it is at the front of the hump and I hear that it can be windy. I feel like I'm being picky. ; ) Also, the aft cabin has a sofa bed and the hump room does not. That might be more useful for our 18 month old. Is the sofa itself bigger? Hmmmm...... I put the cabin on a 24 hr reserve and will ask hubby when he wakes up.

Just want to add how helpful these boards are. I really appreciate it when people reply. It has helped me plan better and I also feel like I enjoy my cruise more, knowing what to do etc. Thanks!

The balcony on the stern will be larger, but the interiors of the hump cabins are a little bit larger. Both will have oversized love seats, not full sofas (I think that only the center hump JS cabins have full 3-section sofas, but I haven't seen every single cabin).

Thank you so much! I think things are resolved over here. Apparently the JS aft will be more $$ and we are already paid and don't want to pay any more. I do with that the JS on the hump had a sofa bed, though. Sigh. It will still be lovely and the location will be awesome!!!

You should be able to switch to any other JS without paying more, even if the price has gone up.

I really enjoy the location of a hump JS. The balcony provides unobstructed views and its location is super convenient to elevators/stairs.

Maybe one idea is to keep the hump JS and have family visit/hangout in your cabin/balcony sometimes for all to enjoy the view (trying to think of ways for you to have your cake and eat it too). :)

Archived