Knitting needles

Tetra

Here's your weird question of the week... :)

Does RCCL allow knitting needles to be brought on board? I know I can't bring scissors or anything with a blade. I've got a pair of socks half done and figured it would be a nice thing to do while watching the ocean go by.

I know the TSA allows knitting needles in checked or carry on bags, just not sure about cruise ships.

Thanks!

Yes, I've taken my knitting on several cruises. I have even taken scissors, the child's blunt point ones, on planes and cruises. Loved sitting in the Solarium on the Jewel Transatlantic a few years ago, watching the ocean go by and knitting away on all those sea days!

I've brought my knitting on board (usually using Addi Turbo needles) without any problems.

As far as scissors, Royal Caribbean does actually allow shorter scissors ("Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed."). Another item that you might consider if you don't want to bring scissors is a "Yarn Cutter Pendant" (shown below). It allows you to cut the yarn, but is otherwise safe to carry since the blades themselves aren't exposed. Plus, it's fashionably decorative. :)

415e5LR7GAL._AA300_.jpg

I might also bring some knitting, but just to avoid the occasional employee who is either misinformed or just overzealous (and they are out there), I'll stick to circulars/flexible needles and figure there's less chance of an issue. Easy enough to knit from what you're currently using, onto a pair just before leaving on trip.

Archived