TENS Muscle Stimulator

jennim

This may not be an issue but I am on a TENS muscle stimulator for my back. (it's that or pain meds all day) I'm not sure what to do with it getting on cruise ship. It's a small box (3 x 5 x 1) that clips to my side that has 4 long wires that that are attached to sticky pads on my back. My issue is I need it for the trip to the port (can't make the 6hr drive with out it) I can... 1) leave it on but I'm not sure what will happen when I go through the check point. 2) take it off and put it in my carry on bag but again check point 3) put it in my checked bag but risk it getting taken away which will mean I will have a really painful trip. I don't have a RX for the machine and my DR has just left the country for a month and will not return until after my cruise so I can't get a letter stating what it is or what it's for. I get asked all the time "What's that???" I can just imagine what I'll get at the port. Any suggestions or comments will be helpful

Does this thing look like a small bomb?! :eek: :D

Be sure to bring the original box, manual etc. (if you still have it) which you can show to anyone who might have questions.

First off though, email Carnival through their web site, including FULL details of it, and ask for an email reply confirming that it's ok, and the best procedure when boarding. Keep the email with you when boarding.

If still not satisfied you could try contacting John Heald through his blog. He seems to be Mr. Helpful to a lot of people. :)

Good luck.

Please check with your physical therapist, occupational therapist, or doctor regarding how often your pads should be changed. I typically change the pads between every patient and recommend that people should change the pads as soon as you notice they are not sticking or if there is something on them that would cause a rash.

Were you getting a rash initially? You may be allergic to the adhesive.

I simply took mine off and put it in the carry case it came with. Placed in in my carry on for both our flight and cruise.

No problems at either.

Since you are driving you can stop and use the restroom to get yourself straight then after going through security at the port use the restroom again and put it back on.

I had no letter and was not even asked for one. Just make sure you pack the charger, LOL

There wont be an issue. Its Durable Medical Equipment and therefore allowable. I travel with my nebulizer, and no one other then one TSA agent has ever asked me about it. I carry it on in my carryon. You can get a letter of medical neccessity but I dont think you will need it.

I have one too...one does have to change pads..they get yucky for that eariler question, because your skin is real..organic and well voila...I rinse them..put them on sticky paper etc..and keep them in zip lock bags once bag is opened have not used mine in quite a while..but never had trouble traveling with it..I put it in the tray to miss xray..i suppose a note and call to Carnival is good idea..can not remember if i have traveled with it after 9/11 on an airplane..the pads are spendy but just must replace after awhile..put on clean skin and rinse them after each use carefully with a real we clean rag..do not run faucet on them...Sarah

Thanks everyone for you responses.. Didn't think about calling/emailing Carnival, will do that today. I do have a carrying case with all the paper work that it is stored in (option 2) for my carry on I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be taken away. (I have to explain what it is to 19 of of 20 people because it's hard to hide the wires sometimes) I figured someone on this post had taken it on the ship and could tell me if they had issues...

Thanks again :)

I take a "TENS" with me when ever I travel. I do not have to wear it all the time and it has never been a issue traveling anywhere in the world even flying domestic or over seas. The security people in Italy did take a very close look at it to make sure it was what I said it was.

Just an aside . . . I have a similar unit, but after repeated use, I ended up with an itchy rash under the pads. How often must one buy new ones and how do you prolong the life of the ones in use?
You may be senstiive or allergic to the adhesive. I have never had red marks, unless yours were super sticky and left a mark life a bandaid. But, you said a rash. Perhaps gently wash pads with cloth with warm soap and water--this also refreshes the "stickyness".

The pads should last depending on use at least 6mo. We have a AED unit at work with pads, and those don't expire for two years, so I am pretty sure it is not that pads were expired.

For a rash try benedryl (oral) and a cortisone creme to relieve it possibly.

I too put mine in the case and put it in the carry on. I put it on as soon as I get to my cabin or if flying as soon as I have cleared security. I also bring extra 9V batteries and extra patches. The adhesive seems to get funny in really hot weather so I usually have to change out the 4 contacts once on a 7 night cruise. I've never had a problem with security at an airport or seaport over my TENS. I love my TENS and would be a zombie on meds without it.

I too put mine in the case and put it in the carry on. I put it on as soon as I get to my cabin or if flying as soon as I have cleared security. I also bring extra 9V batteries and extra patches. The adhesive seems to get funny in really hot weather so I usually have to change out the 4 contacts once on a 7 night cruise. I've never had a problem with security at an airport or seaport over my TENS. I love my TENS and would be a zombie on meds without it.

Thanks for security info. Just started using a tens unit sometimes, and for flying will be a big help for the back.

I used to wear one.. if they check it out, just make sure they don't turn the dial!! :eek:

I would end up writhing on the floor when I accidentally knocked mine. ! :mad:

Mine thankfully has a protective cover for settings, and one for the dials.

One also learns quickly not to "adjust" the pads when unit still turned on! finger zap..

Thanks SWACK... I will definitely be sure to check the dials before I put it back on. I have been zapped once or twice... Not a good feeling. :eek: And I don't want to be a Zombie on this trip that's what I wanted to make sure do this right. I did email carnival, Hoping to get a response in a few days, I'll be sure to pack the response in the carrying case. Thanks again everyone...

Thanks SWACK... I will definitely be sure to check the dials before I put it back on. I have been zapped once or twice... Not a good feeling. :eek: And I don't want to be a Zombie on this trip that's what I wanted to make sure do this right. I did email carnival, Hoping to get a response in a few days, I'll be sure to pack the response in the carrying case. Thanks again everyone...

Would you kindly post Carnival response? It may help us all in same situation. Thanks.

I use an insulin pump and it too has the wires. You can wear it through security. If you don't want to walk through the scanner, ask for a pat down rather than taking the TENS through the scanner if you are concerned about that. If you don't mind going through the scanner with the TENS on, just show them the unit before you go through the scanner so they are aware of it. They won't have a problem with it.

Just an aside . . . I have a similar unit, but after repeated use, I ended up with an itchy rash under the pads. How often must one buy new ones and how do you prolong the life of the ones in use?

If the pads start to lose the stickiness rub a drop of water on them and it will get sticky again

This may not be an issue but I am on a TENS muscle stimulator for my back. (it's that or pain meds all day) I'm not sure what to do with it getting on cruise ship. It's a small box (3 x 5 x 1) that clips to my side that has 4 long wires that that are attached to sticky pads on my back. My issue is I need it for the trip to the port (can't make the 6hr drive with out it) I can... 1) leave it on but I'm not sure what will happen when I go through the check point. 2) take it off and put it in my carry on bag but again check point 3) put it in my checked bag but risk it getting taken away which will mean I will have a really painful trip. I don't have a RX for the machine and my DR has just left the country for a month and will not return until after my cruise so I can't get a letter stating what it is or what it's for. I get asked all the time "What's that???" I can just imagine what I'll get at the port. Any suggestions or comments will be helpful

my Mother In Law has a Surgically Implanted unit in her back. She carries a Special Identification Card with her and she makes sure to turn it off as she goes through the Security Check b/c it could damage the Unit. As far as the Boat Metal Detectors is concerned she had no problems as she gave the card to the officer and then patted down and was able to proceed. Check with your Doctor as far as the Medical side of things are concerned.

Archived