If tips are so important, include them in the cost of the cruise

mk695

That is truly part of the problem too. This is a complete lie and Carnival should be sued. There is no cruise that exists for $179. You try to buy this for $179 I want to see the receipt.

The reality is that $179 doesn't exist. The from price should start at what it actually costs with all the required add-ons added in.

We've been discussing this for many posts now and you're not understanding my point. I can totally understand that you don't agree or accept my point. I just want you to understand where I'm coming from.

It says FROM $179.00. It's in plain English, and visable for all to see who can see.

The "from" price should start at the total:confused: What part of that makes sense:confused:

It says FROM $179.00. It's in plain English, and visable for all to see who can see.

The "from" price should start at the total:confused: What part of that makes sense:confused:

What doesn't make sense is there is nothing that is starting from $179.

Maybe we could put from $79 and then add a fee for $100.

The from should be $523.64 the actual cost of the cruise.

I believe what Carnival is doing is misleading the public into believing that they can get a cruise for $179. Which you can't. It makes it feel like they are from this price but they aren't.

What doesn't make sense is there is nothing that is starting from $179.

Maybe we could put from $79 and then add a fee for $100.

The from should be $523.64 the actual cost of the cruise.

How come you never answer a question:confused: What part of the "from" should start at the total? What part of that makes sense.. Your statement........answer please.

Is that an actual place:confused:

Let's stay on topic and discuss the topic here.

The fact that Carnival cruise lines misleads the public into thinking they can get a cruise for $179 when instead it will really cost them much more.

How come you never answer a question:confused: What part of the "from" should start at the total? What part of that makes sense.. Your statement........answer please.

the from price would be the total cost for the cheapest cabin and the prices for up from there.

I've got all day to continue to post. Do you?

No matter how hard I try, people continue to try to take this discussion off-topic and make it largely about trying to either get out of paying tips or if we make them required then staff won't perform. Or the other reasons people have tried to fragment this discussion.

My point is that cruise lines offer low-ball advertising prices to entice shoppers to buy and then add on tons of fees, taxes and other costs in order to get the money they would have really needed to operate as a business.

What I'm advocating is that cruise lines are required to PUBLISH / ADVERTISE / MARKET the actual cost of the cruise. This advertised price is irrelevant how the final bill looks. For all I care everything could remain the same on the back end -- even the ability to adjust tips.

I just want to see the advertised price to be $512.35 instead of $399.

I wouldn't be opposed to even inflating the price higher and then it becoming less when you check out!!

I think this should be for all businesses and not just cruise lines.

This would be for fixed costs that you have to pay (or forced optional charges). This wouldn't be for optional, discretionary charges like bar charges or bingo.

Imagine seeing a cell phone plan advertised as $63.46 instead of $39.99 because with no discretionary optional charges it will cost everyone $63.46 in the end.

I think all businesses should be forced to do this.

Why? Because they way the system is now, any business can continue on the path of breaking out more and more charges in order to keep the advertised price the same.

Imagine is McDonalds needed to raise prices for their business, but rather than this they added .25 to every ATM transaction. Now, it costs an extra 25 cents every time you use an ATM but you learn this at check-out or are in a rush and don't see.

This is to protect the consumer and make it truth in advertising.

Business owners will never get this nor accept it.

When I see "entertainment staff" I don't think "headliner" but the guy that's schlupping the stuff around the stage who is probably a waiter in his off time trying to earn a little extra money. I imagine clarification will be forthcoming.

Like the magicians they have running around the dining rooms for instance.

Carnival advertises a price of $179 and that is what Carnival gets.

Gov't Fees and Taxes money that the Government gets not Carnival.

No business is required to included taxes in their advertised prices. Anyone with a microgram of sense knows the Gov't is going to pile on.

That is it for mandatory cruise fare costs.

Everything else is onboard expenses and discretionary.

Carnival advertises a price of $179 and that is what Carnival gets.

Gov't Fees and Taxes money that the Government gets not Carnival.

No business is required to included taxes in their advertised prices. Anyone with a microgram of sense knows the Gov't is going to pile on.

That is it for mandatory cruise fare costs.

Everything else is onboard expenses and discretionary.

This is about misleading the public into thinking the cruise cost is less than what it is.

Carnival cruises should "ADVERTISE" the actual cost of the cruise. Carnival has all kinds of business expenses they pay to others, such as lighting, electrictiy, garbage. Should they back those out too? Because they don't get that money either.

Anyone with a microgram of sense knows the Gov't is going to pile on.

The personal attacks on consumers is a shame. Shame on you. Let's keep to the topic.

Besides no one know what the government piles on when it comes to cruises.

Tell me what exactly is the port fee? Is it the same for all ports? Or is it different? What are the other taxes? Does customs get any money?

This is a hugely loaded question.

The consumer really don't KNOW AT ALL what gets added in until there cruise cost doubles in price from the advertised price.

An that is a shame!

This is about misleading the public into thinking the cruise cost is less than what it is.

Carnival cruises should "ADVERTISE" the actual cost of the cruise. Carnival has all kinds of business expenses they pay to others, such as lighting, electrictiy, garbage. Should they back those out too? Because they don't get that money either.

You really, really need to take an accounting course and learn the difference between revenue, expenditures and fees collected on behalf of 3rd parties.

Oh, and tipping is an onboard expense and discretionary, not part of the fare.

I believe what Carnival is doing is misleading the public into believing that they can get a cruise for $179. Which you can't. It makes it feel like they are from this price but they aren't.

I have never bought anything before I knew what the final price was. In the end, the consumer knows the total before plunking down the plastic. You would have to be pretty dim to buy something without getting the final total wouldn't you:confused:

And I am fairly certain as well, if you spent sometime rummaging around Carnival's site you will find a cruise for $179 pp. You will be on the ship, sleeping in bunkbeds in a cabin under the galley and beside the ginormous garberator that runs 24 hours a day. You will be cruising during hurricane season but that cruise is most certainly available somewhere.

I say get rid of all fine print. Why is it fine print? To HIDE IT and make it difficult to find and understand.

If there is any fine print, then there is a problem.

If the price is quote up front the actual cost of the product, then no fine print is needed.

I'm asking the industry to simplify and make this more efficient for the consumer.

Not bury tons of details in the fine print.

This is a philosophical decision and has nothing to do with economics.

Maybe you should take philosophy or logic 101 again.

Get rid of the fine print eh? Ever bought a household appliance? Gotten a mortgage? Purchased a car? Taken a shore excursion? Enrolled in your employers health care, 401k? Purchased life insurance? Or done pretty much anything in this country that requires payment of more than $50? We live in a small print society. Get used to it. Or move to though south pacific and barter with pork meat and shells.

I have never bought anything before I knew what the final price was. In the end, the consumer knows the total before plunking down the plastic. You would have to be pretty dim to buy something without getting the final total wouldn't you:confused:

And I am fairly certain as well, if you spent sometime rummaging around Carnival's site you will find a cruise for $179 pp. You will be on the ship, sleeping in bunkbeds in a cabin under the galley and beside the ginormous garberator that runs 24 hours a day. You will be cruising during hurricane season but that cruise is most certainly available somewhere.

After all this time you still don't understand my point.

THERE IS NO CRUISE FOR $179 YET CARNIVAL ADVERTISES IT THAT THERE IS.

And the point of sale is no time to learn about all the fees and taxes that have been added on to your purchase.

Yes, when shopping at Kmart it's pretty easy, because we all know that sales tax will be added.

But, this isn't about Kmart, this is about cruise lines that add on all kind of unsusual, fees, taxes, tipping, etc. Something that isn't clear up front.

So, cruise lines should be forced to only advertise what it actually costs.

the from price would be the total cost for the cheapest cabin and the prices for up from there.

I've got all day to continue to post. Do you?

from

   /frʌm, frɒm; unstressed frəm/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[fruhm, from; unstressed fruhthinsp.pngm] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

preposition 1. (used to specify a starting point in spatial movement): a train running west from Chicago.

2. (used to specify a starting point in an expressionof limits): The number of stores willbe increased from 25 to 30.

Get rid of the fine print eh? Ever bought a household appliance? Gotten a mortgage? Purchased a car? Taken a shore excursion? Enrolled in your employers health care, 401k? Purchased life insurance? Or done pretty much anything in this country that requires payment of more than $50? We live in a small print society. Get used to it. Or move to though south pacific and barter with pork meat and shells.

We need to change as a society and make it more clear up front what things cost. All of those examples a examples of what has gone terribly wrong in our society. They are bloated with tons of fine print and hidden fees.

Why? All because business wants to pretend and advertise a very low price and then rake in all the cash later.

I'm sure there is a business guy somewhere that is thinking: Maybe I can add a transaction fee of 5 shells after I tell the guy it costs 20 shells. He won't know, I'll just tell him 25 shells after we agreed on 20.

Next time you see a commercial that says 'from $179' go ahead and pause it and look at the bottom. You'll see a bunch of fine print that says something to the effect of 'taxes, fees, and possible fuel supplement extra, other fees may apply'. That's called small print. You'll see the same thing in car commercials, etc. They've been doing it for oh.....lets see, forever. If you're foolish enough to see $179 and ASSUME that's the total, shame on you. That's how you market a product. Do you bo buy a 12 pack advertised for $15 and then complain when you have to pay tax and deposit on the bottles and the total is $18.39? Sue! Sue!!:rolleyes::confused:

from

   /frʌm, frɒm; unstressed frəm/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[fruhm, from; unstressed fruhthinsp.pngm] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

preposition 1. (used to specify a starting point in spatial movement): atrainrunningwestfromChicago.

2. (used to specify a starting point in an expressionof limits): Thenumberofstoreswillbeincreasedfrom25to30.

Thank you. This helps continue to keep this thread to the top of the screen.

So more people can read it. Speaking of reading it, a large percentage of people simply read this thread and don't post. The few that post, post a lot.

I'm trying to reach the passive reader.

Because we as a society need to change how Carnival advertises prices. They need to advertise the true cost of the cruise.

Archived