If tips are so important, include them in the cost of the cruise

mk695

You forgot the "from"

Doesn't "from" imply there is a start at that price and then all prices go up from there.

That is what your definitions says.

The problem is that the price doesn't start at $179 because that is a unreal price. Because there will be fees and tips added on to that later.

So, the real "from" price is $256.38 and that is what Carnival should only advertise.

We need to change as a society and make it more clear up front what things cost. All of those examples a examples of what has gone terribly wrong in our society. They are bloated with tons of fine print and hidden fees.

Why? All because business wants to pretend and advertise a very low price and then rake in all the cash later.

I'm sure there is a business guy somewhere that is thinking: Maybe I can add a transaction fee of 5 shells after I tell the guy it costs 20 shells. He won't know, I'll just tell him 25 shells after we agreed on 20.

So your grand point is 'society has to change'? Good luck with that.

Thank you. This helps continue to keep this thread to the top of the screen.

So more people can read it. Speaking of reading it, a large percentage of people simply read this thread and don't post. The few that post, post a lot.

I'm trying to reach the passive reader.

Because we as a society need to change how Carnival advertises prices. They need to advertise the true cost of the cruise.

Ok this is all a big joke for you Ha Ha Ha Ha........troll........

Thank you for posting that. As you can see Carnival posts a price that is misleading. They say something costs one price, but it actually costs more.

They pretend to hide behind these low false prices in order to capture sales and then later put all kinds of add-ons onto the price.

Don't be fooled into the $179 cruise. It's not real and it doesn't exist.

Doesn't "from" imply there is a start at that price and then all prices go up from there.

The problem is that the price doesn't start at $179 because that is a unreal price. Because there will be fees and tips added on to that later.

So, the real "from" price is $256.38 and that is what Carnival should only advertise.

You pay Carnival $179 for a berth on that cruise.

You pay the government the sales tax on that cruise.

You pay the various port authorities port charges on that cruise.

Carnival is selling you something for what they advertised. They are merely collectors of 3rd party levies in the other cases and should have no responsibility to factor that into their advertised prices. It is YOUR job as a diligent educated consumer to find out the other costs.

Thank you for posting that. As you can see Carnival posts a price that is misleading. They say something costs one price, but it actually costs more.

They pretend to hide behind these low false prices in order to capture sales and then later put all kinds of add-ons onto the price.

Don't be fooled into the $179 cruise. It's not real and it doesn't exist.

See above post

:confused: Starts at $179 and the total is $259. What are the other fees? Tips are optional

Ok this is all a big joke for you Ha Ha Ha Ha........troll........

No, I'm very passionate about this. I'm not here to name call or give people a hard time. Something you appear to be doing. I'm hear to discuss the topic.

I just want people to understand how Carnival is misleading the public with their prices.

How they advertise a very low call price, but then at the point of sale they add on tons of fees, taxes and tips. Making the cruise cost very different from the advertised price.

They should be required to advertise the actual cost of the cruise rather than some fake low ball price.

No, I'm very passionate about this. I'm not here to name call or give people a hard time. Something you appear to be doing. I'm hear to discuss the topic.

I just want people to understand how Carnival is misleading the public with their prices.

How they advertise a very low call price, but then at the point of sale they add on tons of fees, taxes and tips. Making the cruise cost very different from the advertised price.

They should be required to advertise the actual cost of the cruise rather than some fake low ball price.

Do you give them your credit card number before getting the final cost to you inclusive of all port charges and taxes. If so, that is stupid.

:confused: Starts at $179 and the total is $259. What are the other fees? Tips are optional

Currently there are port fees and taxes. And tips are optional to remove not optional to add, so those are added on first and then you can optionally remove them. That doesn't really seem fair.

There isn't anything from stopping the cruise line industry from becoming like other industries from continuing to add new fees and taxes or change the costs of their add ons.

But, at the same time keeping their advertised price low. It's like they never have a price increase.

Let's stop this madness and require cruise lines to only advertise the actual cost of the cruise.

Next time you see a commercial that says 'from $179' go ahead and pause it and look at the bottom. You'll see a bunch of fine print that says something to the effect of 'taxes, fees, and possible fuel supplement extra, other fees may apply'. That's called small print. You'll see the same thing in car commercials, etc. They've been doing it for oh.....lets see, forever. If you're foolish enough to see $179 and ASSUME that's the total, shame on you. That's how you market a product. Do you bo buy a 12 pack advertised for $15 and then complain when you have to pay tax and deposit on the bottles and the total is $18.39? Sue! Sue!!:rolleyes::confused:

This is exactly the problem. When does it end? The advertised price should be what you pay.

This keeps it clear for the consumer and makes it easy to understand.

The trickery of advertising a lower price and then hiding the extra charges till later is trickery. It's the same thing eve did to adam. "Here's look at this delicious fruit, take a bite, it won't cost you anything... it's free."

And look at where that "free" got us. I say don't hide anything in any dealings or transactions with people. Tell them up front what it truly is.

Taxes and Gov't surcharges. (Not port fees as some suggest as these are included in the fare).

Taxes and Govt. fees are in the total charge. Which I was assuming was the $259. So the only other charge is auto tips which are optional as we have all been saying all along........

Currently there are port fees and taxes. And tips are optional to remove not optional to add, so those are added on first and then you can optionally remove them. That doesn't really seem fair.

There isn't anything from stopping the cruise line industry from becoming like other industries from continuing to add new fees and taxes or change the costs of their add ons.

But, at the same time keeping their advertised price low. It's like they never have a price increase.

Let's stop this madness and require cruise lines to only advertise the actual cost of the cruise.

What is that $80 dollar charge? from $179 to $259?

You pay Carnival $179 for a berth on that cruise.

You pay the government the sales tax on that cruise.

You pay the various port authorities port charges on that cruise.

Carnival is selling you something for what they advertised. They are merely collectors of 3rd party levies in the other cases and should have no responsibility to factor that into their advertised prices. It is YOUR job as a diligent educated consumer to find out the other costs.

Take your logic elsewhere!:):rolleyes:

My point is there are no hidden fees

It all depends on how you define "hidden".

I define it as something not given up front. And if you have to even take 1 extra second to find it then it's hidden.

Which is why I say carnival should be required to post the actual cost of the cruise in their advertising material. Rather than publishing a low ball fare and hiding the rest of the charges on other pages and in fine print.

It's made VERY clear that you can remove/change the grat. It's also very easy to do. But apparently you're not interested in reading any kind of fine print, cruise contract, etc.

It's made VERY clear that you can remove/change the grat. It's also very easy to do. But apparently you're not interested in reading any kind of fine print, cruise contract, etc.

I actually think they should be mandatory and just include them in the cost of the cruise.

But, why the games? Why are the added and then optionally removed? Why not just optionally added?

I'll tell you why, because the tips pay for their labor and they are that important. They really need to require everyone to pay for them.

That's why I say just include them in the cost of the cruise and advertise it as such.

This is exactly the problem. When does it end? The advertised price should be what you pay.

This keeps it clear for the consumer and makes it easy to understand.

The trickery of advertising a lower price and then hiding the extra charges till later is trickery. It's the same thing eve did to adam. "Here's look at this delicious fruit, take a bite, it won't cost you anything... it's free."

And look at where that "free" got us. I say don't hide anything in any dealings or transactions with people. Tell them up front what it truly is.

I'm just guessing, but it seems like you are personally vested in this idea, and your bad experiences probably have nothing to do with crusing but you are projecting your past problems onto this forum. I really don't know what you expect to get out of this. Advertising/small pring is the way it is. It will not change, no matter how much you say it should. Don't kid yourself. You will never see "cruises starting for $238.54 per person!" advertised. A semi-literate 8 year old understands that his 50 cent candy bar is going to cost him 54 cents, I guess you're just going to have to have that realization yourself.

But apparently you're not interested in reading any kind of fine print, cruise contract, etc.

No, I'm not because fine print is used to hide costs.

I say include them all in the cruise cost make them mandatory and advertise it as such. Rather than advertise a low ball price and then have to add it all back in with fine print, just put it in the first place and advertise reality.

Heh... that's a new twist. Advertise Reality!

It all depends on how you define "hidden".

I define it as something not given up front. And if you have to even take 1 extra second to find it then it's hidden.

Which is why I say carnival should be required to post the actual cost of the cruise in their advertising material. Rather than publishing a low ball fare and hiding the rest of the charges on other pages and in fine print.

So I guess the answer is to have Carnival list every cruise it has available with the full fare for each cabin category right on it's front page so you don't have to do anything else to find your cruise. (And they do have a cruise that starts at $179 per person plus tax and if you select that room your total is right there for you to see).

Archived