If tips are so important, include them in the cost of the cruise

mk695

I, for one, saw your 47 posts and I didnt respond because each time you said it was as silly as the last time... but if you want a response...

You don't have to forfit for your name, address, city, zip code, telehone number, etc before being told about a fee at the local 7-11! Do a mock booking and show me where this is stated before they ask for your personal information.

Why on every page all the costs (and potential future costs - fuel supplement) up to after them asking for your info is all this other info layed out for the customer, but the autotip thing is missing? Do you honestly think just happens to be coincidence? If so, do I have a deal for you....:cool:

I have never had to put in personal information before getting the full breakdown including taxes and port fees. It is always crystal clear to me what I am paying for long before I make my final decision to purchase.

When I go to a restaurant, just like on the ship, I always know tips are an additional cost to my purchase and that they are at my descretion. Why would you be surprised at these items being there and not plan for it? Isn't that what your saying...If they don't bundle it into one amount then can't plan on what to spend? Really :confused:

The auto tip is a suggested amount that is added to S&S card or can be prepaid for your convenience. I prefer it to the old way of doling out envelopes at the end of the cruise. It makes things simple and when I am on vacation I prefer it to be simple. There is NOTHING stopping you from removing the autotip and doing things the old fashioned way if you wanted to do so. Anyone who does their research and reads the cruise documents knows that the autotip is there before they get on the ship and can make adjustments based on their own preference for tipping. All these people whining have a simple solution if the increase in the auto tip really bothers them that much....go to guest services, remove the auto tips and tip anyone however much they want to. Problem Solved. Let's move on to the next issue please.

I have never had to put in personal information before getting the full breakdown including taxes and port fees. It is always crystal clear to me what I am paying for long before I make my final decision to purchase.

When I go to a restaurant, just like on the ship, I always know tips are an additional cost to my purchase and that they are at my descretion. Why would you be surprised at these items being there and not plan for it? Isn't that what your saying...If they don't bundle it into one amount then can't plan on what to spend? Really :confused:

The auto tip is a suggested amount that is added to S&S card or can be prepaid for your convenience. I prefer it to the old way of doling out envelopes at the end of the cruise. It makes things simple and when I am on vacation I prefer it to be simple. There is NOTHING stopping you from removing the autotip and doing things the old fashioned way if you wanted to do so. Anyone who does their research and reads the cruise documents knows that the autotip is there before they get on the ship and can make adjustments based on their own preference for tipping. All these people whining have a simple solution if the increase in the auto tip really bothers them that much....go to guest services, remove the auto tips and tip anyone however much they want to. Problem Solved. Let's move on to the next issue please.

If only it was that easy.

Just because it is an edit, doesn't mean that I think you are right. I stand by my comment in 395.

Ok, sure... but the argument by most (maybe you , maybe not) is this is not really optional at all, is it? Seems a lot of people here come to a conclusion (auto tips = good) and then scramble to find ways to justify it and use the fact it is optional to try to both justify Carnival doing it automatically and then if someone exercises that option, they are satan. So, to me, your comment on 395 made no sense.

But whatever, I do agree on your comment about no one's mind will be changed here.. so trying is pointless... but, do disagree that it is not fun!

Anyways... have a great day.

Ok, sure... but the argument by most (maybe you , maybe not) is this is not really optional at all, is it? Seems a lot of people here come to a conclusion (auto tips = good) and then scramble to find ways to justify it and use the fact it is optional to try to both justify Carnival doing it automatically and then if someone exercises that option, they are satan. So, to me, your comment on 395 made no sense.

But whatever, I do agree on your comment about no one's mind will be changed here.. so trying is pointless... but, do disagree that it is not fun!

Anyways... have a great day.

Regardless of feelings, doesn't change the fact that it is still an option..

I said many, not all. I'm very impressed at the restaurants you've been to. Wow! You must be so successful. Any other point in your expletive filled rant?

LOL LOL LOL LOL @ "expletive filled rant". Really ? :p

The point I was making was that you - when stating that many restaurants charge an automatic 18% gratuity - are talking out of your ass sir. I mean buttocks.

I challenge you Mr. elcuchipo24 to name one "nicer" national chain restaurant that charges parties of 6 or under an 18% gratuity. You are guilty of stretching the truth to try and prove your point and you are 100% totally and completely wrong.

Name just one my friend ! One !

You people arguing that this auto tip policy is OK because you can drop the tips or because it is there in the fine print or whatever are convienently omitting the fact that this information is not easily obtained and if you have an even an elementry understadning of business, you must see this is for a reason and that reason must be that if the customer knows this, they are less likely to book the cruise... PERIOD! Any intellectually honest person would come to this conclusion given these facts. You can agree the ship workers deserve all the auto tips and more and still agree that Carnival is acting in a less than stellar way here, not the people who disagree with the policy.

So enough with the whole, if you dont agree with Carnival's policy you are cheap, shouldnt cruise, blah blah blah...Let's let common sense pervial here.

Regardless of feelings, doesn't change the fact that it is still an option..

I think many resturants charge a manditory tip for large parties, BUT also inform you CLEARLY of this at time of booking the reservation, not after you get to the resturant and order your meal.

As the old saying goes ... "for those who get it, no explaination is necessary... for those who dont, no explanation is possible" , i guess.

The point I was making was that you - when stating that many restaurants charge an automatic 18% gratuity - are talking out of your ass sir. I mean buttocks.

I challenge you Mr. elcuchipo24 to name one "nicer" national chain restaurant that charges parties of 6 or under an 18% gratuity. You are guilty of stretching the truth to try and prove your point and you are 100% totally and completely wrong.

You people arguing that this auto tip policy is OK because you can drop the tips or because it is there in the fine print or whatever are convienently omitting the fact that this information is not easily obtained and if you have an even an elementry understadning of business, you must see this is for a reason and that reason must be that if the customer knows this, they are less likely to book the cruise... PERIOD! Any intellectually honest person would come to this conclusion given these facts. You can agree the ship workers deserve all the auto tips and more and still agree that Carnival is acting in a less than stellar way here, not the people who disagree with the policy.

So enough with the whole, if you dont agree with Carnival's policy you are cheap, shouldnt cruise, blah blah blah...Let's let common sense pervial here.

:confused: I understand why Carnival started the auto tip.....and I am ok with that as many others are. And it is not because the customer is less likely to book a cruise.......that my friend is paranoia...and just to make it clear I never said people that disagree with this policy are cheap. I said you have the option to remove, adjust, flush or throw them overboard....it is still an OPTION PERIOD.......no matter what people think or feel.

I think many resturants charge a manditory tip for large parties, BUT also inform you CLEARLY of this at time of booking the reservation, not after you get to the resturant and order your meal.

As the old saying goes ... "for those who get it, no explaination is necessary... for those who dont, no explanation is possible" , i guess.

Not all restaurants inform you of the 18% auto tip. So please make sure you check the bill before you pay to avoid double tipping.....been there done that......Bubba Gumps in Miami come to mind.

I certainly wouldn't include any chain restaurants in that group. Good to see you back though, I thought you'd abandoned the thread. And what happened to OP, I thought they stated they'd 'be here all day' posting. Oh well.

:confused: I understand why Carnival started the auto tip.....and I am ok with that as many others are. And it is not because the customer is less likely to book a cruise.......that my friend is paranoia...and just to make it clear I never said people that disagree with this policy are cheap. I said you have the option to remove, adjust, flush or throw them overboard....it is still an OPTION PERIOD.......no matter what people think or feel.

What? You do not make any sense... and don't call me and others you dont agree with names, that sort of uncious behaviour takes away from your argument.

From what I can extrapolate from that post is you think I belive Carnival Carnvial started the auto tip policy because without it the customer less likely to book??!?! But but you and most others know the real reason (which is what) ??? I dont have a clue where you got this from, but whatever.

My point was Carnvial is sneaky about it and makes it difficult to see until after booked and the most obvious reason is because if people knew this up front many would then make alternative plans because perhaps a vacation they thought was $$$ is now $$$+$ and could not afford it (or go elsewhere on principle).

Let's agree to disagree.

When I say "Auto tip policy" i am not only referring to the fact they auto charge you $10 or 11.50 per day. The way they enforce this, to me, is where they run into problems. And they do it this way because if they were straight with the customer, it would hurt their bottom line, it would, there is no question there would be less bookings.. I hear people complaining on here all the time they booked before realizing this auto tip and say this will be a factor when choosing a vacation next time. Just google carnival tipping policy and read all the complaints, it would hurt Carnvial if this policy was as public as the cruise rate and taxes.

AND I am sure many people who get stuck in this situation do not feel it is optional at all... if they exercise that option, they might feel they are slighting these employess and therefore, to them, it is not an option and if they are booked ES, they have no option to cancel the cruise out of principle either, now do they???

What? You do not make any sense... and don't call me and others you dont agree with names, that sort of uncious behaviour takes away from your argument.

From what I can extrapolate from that post is you think I belive Carnival Carnvial started the auto tip policy because without it the customer less likely to book??!?! But but you and most others know the real reason (which is what) ??? I dont have a clue where you got this from, but whatever.

My point was Carnvial is sneaky about it and makes it difficult to see until after booked and the most obvious reason is because if people knew this up front many would then make alternative plans because perhaps a vacation they thought was $$$ is now $$$+$ and could not afford it (or go elsewhere on principle).

Let's agree to disagree.

What name calling:confused: "My friend":confused:

The reasons they changed it to auto tips was because people would not show up on the last night for dinner in order to avoid handing out the tip envelopes. So in essence alot of employees got screwed. I can't honestly say why? Perhaps they spent the tip money on other things and on the last night they had no money to give out and were embarrased to come to dinner.. The auto tip allows you to add it to your bill in order to avoid this AND make it more convenient for all. It was a hassle to count out and separate money to put in the evelopes. I love the convenience.

There is no sneakiness about it....most people know about tipping and if they don't and it is a cost that will avoid them from cruising then yes they should not be booking.....

referred to me as paranoid ... and were you not the person who said " to the op, blah..... TROLL! " in this or the other tip thread?

The reasons they changed it to auto tips was because people would not show up on the last night for dinner in order to avoid handing out the tip envelopes. So in essence alot of employees got screwed. I can't honestly say why? Perhaps they spent the tip money on other things and on the last night they had no money to give out and were embarrased to come to dinner.. The auto tip allows you to add it to your bill in order to avoid this AND make it more convenient for all. It was a hassle to count out and separate money to put in the evelopes. I love the convenience.

There is no sneakiness about it....most people know about tipping and if they don't and it is a cost that will avoid them from cruising then yes they should not be booking.....

When I say "Auto tip policy" i am not only referring to the fact they auto charge you $10 or 11.50 per day. The way they enforce this, to me, is where they run into problems. And they do it this way because if they were straight with the customer, it would hurt their bottom line, it would, there is no question there would be less bookings.. I hear people complaining on here all the time they booked before realizing this auto tip and say this will be a factor when choosing a vacation next time. Just google carnival tipping policy and read all the complaints, it would hurt Carnvial if this policy was as public as the cruise rate and taxes.

AND I am sure many people who get stuck in this situation do not feel it is optional at all... if they exercise that option, they might feel they are slighting these employess and therefore, to them, it is not an option and if they are booked ES, they have no option to cancel the cruise out of principle either, now do they???

And that brings us right back where we started.....if people can't afford to tip they shouldn't be booking a cruise.

The reasons they changed it to auto tips was because people would not show up on the last night for dinner in order to avoid handing out the tip envelopes. So in essence alot of employees got screwed. I can't honestly say why? Perhaps they spent the tip money on other things and on the last night they had no money to give out and were embarrased to come to dinner.. .....

that actually was the cruise line's fault. when alternative dining was first offered, that venue was always cloased on tip night. when they decided to open it, i could not believe the wasteland i saw in the mdr that last night. and the looks on the helps faces knowing they were being screwed (but i also came to learn they did this so that those that were in the mdr would tip more).

and i agree with your other point. people just out and out spent too much, and come tip night, had not put enough aside.

You know this how? How the heck do you know what other people "know". You make statements with no evidence to back it up. This assumes everyone who books a cruise visits cruisecritic (or elsewhere to research) and looks at this stuff, CC is great, but check the stats of how many people cruise each year, most arent CC members... I would hazard a guess many first time cruisers do not have a clue until they get onboard how could they when Carnvial is obviously making this information tough to find (for reasons I have stated several times already which you ignore).

Anyways, I would love to keep going round and round with you, but have more important things to do (son is calling me to play legos):D

referred to me as paranoid ... and were you not the person who said " to the op, blah..... TROLL! " in this or the other tip thread?

I was referring to the thinking that Carnival implemented the auto tip to trick people is paranoia......

Someone that just talks in circles on a message board and avoids all questions are trolls...

Gottcha! How can they make that decision without the information being laid out ahead of time in a honest manner????????? This argument ONLY applied before the ES rate came about.

Many assume it is part of the package, nieive, maybe, but they do (I DID 8 YEARS AGO:p)

ANYWAYS, LEGO CALLS!

And that brings us right back where we started.....if people can't afford to tip they shouldn't be booking a cruise.

I’m still trying to catch up. Is the salesman sleazy or does he sale sleazy cars?

May be the charges are not hidden. Just camouflaged.

Then there are the asterisks. I just hate smart asterisk.

Hotels quote you a room rate. Then pile on extras. At least Carnival tells you what the extras are in advance. Yes they do.

What now. We can cruise as usual as the majority of Carnival passengers will. That includes the cheap people who take the tips off any way. Or don’t cruise any more.

Book Early Saver. It may be possible to get some of the money you have paid back. Then tour total would be less even with the $1.50 increase.

It’s $1.50 a day. Deal with it.

Archived