How do they do it?

All4fun&fun4all

We sailed Carnival Spirit to Alaska in May and the Mexican Rivera last week. Our stateroom was next to our last one and I wondered if we would have the same room steward as the last time. And even if we did I doubted that he would remember us. The first day when I answered a soft knock on the door I saw his familar face and after a milla second he lit up in recognetion as he blurted out "Patrick, you came back." I was embarrassed that I didn't recall his name (Dewa) and had to look at the card on the wall with his name. I did tip him and his assistant several times during the previous cruise and at the end but not so much that I thought he would remember me just for that.

Out of 6 cruises in 3 years, on 5 different carnival ship, we met the same counsellor at camp 3x.

She always remembered my son's name and our family name.

The fact that we are french canadians may have help.

If 25 people in a group introduce themselves one by one and tell me something about themselves I can remember their names by association for a day or two while still interacting with them. It is association with whatever they said about themselves or something about their name eg: Jerry Wright in my head becomes jerry writes, but drop the s or Sara Holmes was a homemaker for most of her life so Sarah is home add an l. I use this in work seminar settings.

The problem is remembering them after we have all gone our seperate ways. That I don't know how they do. Maybe I need to brush up on my Dale Carnegie..lol

Archived