Lidl to enter the cruise market.

insidecabin

Loads of article around here is one link

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2011/10/lidl-muscles-in-on-cruise-sale.html

I think the original source focus.de a german news site.

Not clear yet what will actualy happen yet,

Looks like it might be block booking/part charter with Lidl branding.

I suspect it will be selected dates and probably the slow selling cruises that cruise lines will be glad to offload early for known revenue.

Might shake up pricing a bit, something to look out for.

Loads of article around here is one link

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2011/10/lidl-muscles-in-on-cruise-sale.html

I think the original source focus.de a german news site.

Not clear yet what will actualy happen yet,

Looks like it might be block booking/part charter with Lidl branding.

I suspect it will be selected dates and probably the slow selling cruises that cruise lines will be glad to offload early for known revenue.

Might shake up pricing a bit, something to look out for.

Just imagine buying a cruise through Lidl at knock down prices when others would have paid the original price.

Would the cruise line refund the difference I wonder ? Otherwise there are going to be a lot of disgruntled passengers as soon as they realise Lidl is selling 'their' cruise at half the price they paid.

If Lidl did offer different cruises at 'knock down' prices then it can't happen quick enough for me. I really think that Brits get a raw deal from cruise lines compared to Americans and Canadians - low deposits, ability to cancel (up to full payment date) without penalty, price drops after booking, etc. In the majority of cases we're not even allowed to book through US travel agents. So, come on Lidl, stir it up a bit!

Just imagine buying a cruise through Lidl at knock down prices when others would have paid the original price.

Would the cruise line refund the difference I wonder ? Otherwise there are going to be a lot of disgruntled passengers as soon as they realise Lidl is selling 'their' cruise at half the price they paid.

No different from the situation now - there are always deals to be had, and it's not at all uncommon for people with similar grades of cabin to have paid vastly different sums.

Archived