Let's Bring the QE2 back to Southampton, Feel Free to Join in.

oldsilverfox

Over at wearecunard, Peter Shanks has a blog about his recent visit to the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA.

He appears quite misty eyed about the memories it still evokes and quite enthusiastic about its potential.

My two cents worth in the replies, is well why not bring her back to the UK and have a similar facility here?

She could be used for pre-cruise accommodation, as a tourist attraction and/ or conference centre (crew training centre?).

I understand that she is in relatively good condition and before some of you carp, o.k. she would need significant work to bring her up to modern standards of fire-proofing, but as she wouldn't be going to sea, presumably she would come under SOLAS regulations.

Let the arguments begin !!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more! I'm a newbie to Cunard and I've been reading up on the history and to be honest I've become really addicted to anything Cunard, having never sailed on her or laid eyes on her for that matter, there's nothing I'd like more to be able to explore her! Im 30 and she's captured my iamagination, how cool if she could capture the imagination of even younger being dovked in her home country. I didn't even know what the Qe2 was a few years ago! (head in shame I know) and now there's nothing I want more to see her in the UK.

Couldn't agree more! I'm a newbie to Cunard and I've been reading up on the history and to be honest I've become really addicted to anything Cunard, having never sailed on her or laid eyes on her for that matter, there's nothing I'd like more to be able to explore her! Im 30 and she's captured my iamagination, how cool if she could capture the imagination of even younger being dovked in her home country. I didn't even know what the Qe2 was a few years ago! (head in shame I know) and now there's nothing I want more to see her in the UK.

This link has many pictures of the interior of the QE2.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/QE2-6.html

Whilst a lot of people on here have fond memories of the QE2, most would probably agree that she's had her day, and it really was time for her to retire.

Liner fanatics aside, I doubt her interiors won Cunard many new fans in her last couple of years. Her outward appearance however was stunning, she truly was a beautiful ship.

This link has many pictures of the interior of the QE2.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/QE2-6.html

Whilst a lot of people on here have fond memories of the QE2, most would probably agree that she's had her day, and it really was time for her to retire.

Liner fanatics aside, I doubt her interiors won Cunard many new fans in her last couple of years. Her outward appearance however was stunning, she truly was a beautiful ship.

Wow what a collection very impressive, thank you for sharing. I wish I coul have sailed in her! But I'll settle for a visit when renovations are complete or whenever they decide what's going on with her. I came across some news today in reference to its Dubai status! Take a look - http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/renovations-begin-on-qe2

I'm sure that Nakiel(sp?) whould like to be disemcumbered of this poor investment. They might even take 50 cents on the dollar. that would leave a price of only $50,000,000. Shall we pass the hat?:D

Ha ha indeed! But I fear we would be passing that hat perpetually!

An interesting discussion on bringing the ship back home to Southampton, permanently locating her in the King George V drydock has been discussed.

http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3640.0.html

One has to wonder the timing of the articles outlining the renovation work commencing onboard, which came out just shortly after this idea was floated out for discussion.

Interior decor is one thing, and it is true that poor QE2 suffered through some ill thought out improvements over the years - why were the stairs green, and why was so much of the carpet turquoise in later years for instance!? Decor can be easily altered, as Cunard proved.

However the general design of her interior spaces - that is a different thing. Those lovely wide promenades are special. There is nothing like them on the new Cunarders. The Queens Room was a special room, whether lit brightly for daytime dance classes, or dimly lit at night for an intimate evening. The Lido and Yacht club with large windows on 3 sides of the room. There are lots of special places.

Someone with the sort of design vision that turned SS Rotterdam into the wonderful Cruise Hotel could make QE2 a truly fantastic static attraction.

But where? And who will pay in these very troubled times?

Snap!

I am new to Cunard, have two bookings on the QM2 for next year and am pretty much addicted to anything Cunard related now. I must have watched every video on YouTube to do with the current ships and have started looking at the history of the line now... I wish I had been able to sail on the QE2 at some point, but it just never happened...

Oh, and hello from a fellow Geordie, although now firmly ensconced in the South... :)

T5LHR

Snap!

I am new to Cunard, have two bookings on the QM2 for next year and am pretty much addicted to anything Cunard related now. I must have watched every video on YouTube to do with the current ships and have started looking at the history of the line now... I wish I had been able to sail on the QE2 at some point, but it just never happened...

Oh, and hello from a fellow Geordie, although now firmly ensconced in the South... :)

T5LHR

I know what you mean, I myself have spent hours trawling the Internet on anything and everything I can. I even manged to get my hands on a old copy of the queen Mary's cross section which I'm Having framed and hung, also started collecting vintage postcards of old cunarders (again framing and hanging) . I've gone all nautical lol.

And yes hello fellow Geordie! Homeland of the famous Mauritania no less.

(Just learned that too lol)

I know what you mean, I myself have spent hours trawling the Internet on anything and everything I can. I even manged to get my hands on a old copy of the queen Mary's cross section which I'm Having framed and hung, also started collecting vintage postcards of old cunarders (again framing and hanging) . I've gone all nautical lol.

And yes hello fellow Geordie! Homeland of the famous Mauritania no less.

(Just learned that too lol)

Oh lord! I have not quite started framing things yet! :D

I never knew that about the Mauritania though!

My dad sent me some old pictures that a friend had copied from negatives, picture of the Tyne, whaling ships and small cruise ships, apparently from Fred Olsen line that were based on the Tyne... Thought it was really cool!

I remember going to see some ships being launched when I was little, we lived south of the Tyne and had a great view of them being launched from the north side... Sad to see the river now, compared to what it used to be!

Over at wearecunard, Peter Shanks has a blog about his recent visit to the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA.

He appears quite misty eyed about the memories it still evokes and quite enthusiastic about its potential.

My two cents worth in the replies, is well why not bring her back to the UK and have a similar facility here?

She could be used for pre-cruise accommodation, as a tourist attraction and/ or conference centre (crew training centre?).

I understand that she is in relatively good condition and before some of you carp, o.k. she would need significant work to bring her up to modern standards of fire-proofing, but as she wouldn't be going to sea, presumably she would come under SOLAS regulations.

Let the arguments begin !!!!!!!

Personally, I'd lke to have Saga Cruises take the ship back & fix her up. Most of their managers are from Cunard(many didn't like the Carnival methods)so I feel they'd know how to properly run the ship.

Oh lord! I have not quite started framing things yet! :D

I never knew that about the Mauritania though!

My dad sent me some old pictures that a friend had copied from negatives, picture of the Tyne, whaling ships and small cruise ships, apparently from Fred Olsen line that were based on the Tyne... Thought it was really cool!

I remember going to see some ships being launched when I was little, we lived south of the Tyne and had a great view of them being launched from the north side... Sad to see the river now, compared to what it used to be!

Yes indeed the Tyne was the place to build ships, nothing compared to Clyde bank of course..... But we put out another famous ship and that was the "Carpathia" the famous ship that rescued the survivors of the Titanic...... God bless the Tyne.

Yes indeed the Tyne was the place to build ships, nothing compared to Clyde bank of course..... But we put out another famous ship and that was the "Carpathia" the famous ship that rescued the survivors of the Titanic...... God bless the Tyne.

Again! Never knew that... Cleverer than you look! ;)

I'm seriously disappointed never to have been able to do QE2. I would have loved to have taken my Mum for a voyage before both their days were over. However, I hope that means I can be business minded and objective about the old girl rather than dewey eyed.

The fact is, Southampton isn't and never will be anything faintly approaching the sort of tourist destination where someone could do a variation on the QM/Long Beach theme. Nor is Tyneside, the Clyde, Liverpool or anywhere else with a maritime history. Pre-cruise accomodation wouldn't have a high enough occupancy rate 7 days a week and the UK is already overflowing with conference venues cutting each others' throats to compete on price.

I guess the only option might be moored on the Thames, smack bang in the middle of the capital. Foreign tourists might lap it up. But the numbers would be against it.

The financial reality is that Cunard got a remarkable deal for selling QE2 (and the name) at a time when UAE money was running like water. Those days are gone, possibly for good. If the present owners are procrastinating on the massive cost of a refurbishment to bring up to modern day hotel standards, it isn't going to be financially viable in the UK.

Anything short of the fate of the original QE would be a good result.

Hi,

I was fortunate to have sailed aboard the QE2 seven times (1984, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2005). I have traveled aboard 44 different ships, but the QE2 was my all-time favorite. I have a fairly large collection of items from this ship, including two of the famous "sled" dining room chairs that were used on the ship for 30 years. It would be great if a good use could be found for the QE2 and this wonderful ship preserved.

Chuck

Oh... I am sure it will cause much concern and trouble... :D

Do you work/live near the river?

We live right on the quayside, practically under the Tyne bridge... And work just a 3 minute walk to work, it's great I love Newcastle so much, and very proud of its heritage. True Geordie through and through!

Hi,

I was fortunate to have sailed aboard the QE2 seven times (1984, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2005). I have traveled aboard 44 different ships, but the QE2 was my all-time favorite. I have a fairly large collection of items from this ship, including two of the famous "sled" dining room chairs that were used on the ship for 30 years. It would be great if a good use could be found for the QE2 and this wonderful ship preserved.

Chuck

Wow I'm so envious of your chairs!! I bet they would sell for a fair few bob!

We live right on the quayside, practically under the Tyne bridge... And work just a 3 minute walk to work, it's great I love Newcastle so much, and very proud of its heritage. True Geordie through and through!

Don't get me wrong... I love my home city and love to go home to see family and the city, but just not for me any more.

I do still work the Newcastle Shuttle flights from Heathrow and always revert to a more pronounced Geordie accent when making the onboard PA's... :D

I do love the heritage of the area and what the city once was. When you think what Swan Hunter used to turn out, it was amazing.

Nice place to live too, right on the Quayside, I would imagine living there if I still lived in Newcastle.

Archived