"Travel in Russia" tours of St Petersburg

torty

We are booked on Star Princess 23 August Baltic cruise and because I use a wheelchair, we feel using a private guide/vehicle for our shore tours in St Petersburg would enable us to make the most of our time there. We've read many message boards praising the services of Red October and Denrus from whom we've had similar quotes but have had a more favourable quote from "Travel in Russia" whose website shows very good customer reviews. However we've seen no mention of this company on any message boards and would be very glad to hear from anyone who has had experience (good or bad) of this company or has any knowledge of them.

I am not familiar with "Travel in Russia" I used DenRus on my August 2004 Grand Princess cruise (another satisfied customer). One word of caution - make sure this company is "licensed" so that you do not need to have individual visas to enter Russia. My recollection is that the visa costs about $100-150 per person if it is not included (there is also a bit of a bureaucratic dance that you have to go through to get the visa). So, if you have to get visas, you may want to add the cost to the total price. With DenRus and RO, they are, in effect, your visa.

A couple of years ago, a group of us used another Tour Operator that I can highly recommend. His name is Kolya Blotski and he is EXCELLENT! The following is his contact information:

mobile +7 905 286 6377 new #

office & fax +7 812 314 2141

home +7 812 310 1080

email odyssey@sky2.spb.ru

He speaks excellent English and will meet you at your ship around 9:30 a.m. His tour is extremely personal and will work with you to insure that all your requirements are met. He does provide visiting vouchers to get into St. Petersburg and the cost is $150 per person for the whole stay. I am not sure exactly the cost of his (2) day tour so you would need to write to him. I have sent many of my friends and colleagues to him for their visits to Russia and they all come back with glowing reports. Just let him know that Debbie referred you.. hopefully he will remember me.

Regards,

Debbie

• 4 weeks later...

What a conincident, we are a group of tourist going on the Star Princess this summer!

I have the same question about who is "licenced" and who is not.

I have contacted a company called Baltic Travel Company, They seem to be quite experienced and I think they are the company that is used by Radisson and HAL.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this company. How can we be sure they work the same way as RO?

does anyone know which tour operator does Princess use??

Henry

What a conincident, we are a group of tourist going on the Star Princess this summer!

I have the same question about who is "licenced" and who is not.

I have contacted a company called Baltic Travel Company, They seem to be quite experienced and I think they are the company that is used by Radisson and HAL.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this company. How can we be sure they work the same way as RO?

does anyone know which tour operator does Princess use??

Henry

Hi Henry

I believe Arctur took over the HAL and Raddison tours because they control the docks and none of the others are permitted to bring big buses there. Same with Princess. I know Baltic Travel still lists HAL and Raddison on their web site but that has not been updated for 3 years.

Ask for bid from the majors and you will not have any problems with group visas and licensing, or early entrance to museums

I see that your original post was on April 5th and no one has recognized "Travel in Russia" to date. I gathered that you're trying to avoid the "penny wise and pound foolish" mistake by gathering information and not just choosing the company with the lowest quote. I don't think I would be comfortable booking with a company that has a great web site unless I had a personal recommendation too. We've had a great experience working with Denrus and have a wonderful tour planned.

I see notes from passengers from time to time who have some special needs in touring St. Petersburg and think that additional info and guidance on the subject is sorely needed. I hope you have a great trip and will post your findings on your return.

Donna

Our ship, Jewel of the Seas, will be in St. Petersburg June 2 and 3.

My question regards the "White Nights" from an article on St. Petersburg; quote "The famous White Nights with their legendary midnight sun, fall in June each year, lending the City an intriguing and exotic mood,". Can you tell us a little about this?

Thanks,

Bobby

Our ship, Jewel of the Seas, will be in St. Petersburg June 2 and 3.

My question regards the "White Nights" from an article on St. Petersburg; quote "The famous White Nights with their legendary midnight sun, fall in June each year, lending the City an intriguing and exotic mood,". Can you tell us a little about this?

Thanks,

Bobby

White Nights is nothing less than the spiritual and emotional rebirth of the entire population who have been hibernating for a long winter:>) The days in the winter are short, very short with the sun rising above the horizon, barely, as late as 11:30 am and setting as around 3:40pm. During White Nights, the time the days reach their longest with sun rise at about 5:30 and sets at about 01:00am but remains dusky for the remainder of the morning, is a time that people come out to party, pair up for romance, have boundless energy and stay out all night and generally have a good time. It is not like MadiGra as a wild party, St Petersburg is too conscious of its image for that, it is festivals of music, art festivals, late night strolls along the rivers and canals, some wild parties for sure but not officially promoted or recognized by anyone who will admit it. Cafes and restaurants stay open until the last guest...or 6am or whatever is later.

There are several traditions that remain today, one being the person with whom you watch the opening of the draw bridges at about 2am will be the person you will be with for the year or longer. So if someone invites you to watch the bridges, you will know it means more than hanging out and looking at a pretty bridge open for river ship traffic. The river will be lined with floating cafes and bands or music, and many thousands of strollers enjoying the weather, dim sun light and magical appearance of the sky and everything iluminated by the bluish'purple sky glow. The colored lights of splashed over the palaces and grand buildings lining the river either side of the palace embankment are breathtaking. It is easy to see how St Petersburg is considered one of if not The most romantic city anywhere. Paris is not bad either however. But at least no one in Russia gets testy if you do not speak Russian;>)

There is a performance series each year called the Stars of White Nights where famous top performers and artists in classical music, ballet, opera and drama return to St Petersburg (if they have moved on to other areas) so it is "old home week" for many of the world famous artist who trained or lived in St Petersburg or current St Petersburg stars come to perform in their artistic and emotional home. Major ballet dancers, drama actors, concert soloist disappear from their contract companies all over the world to return home for the events. It is amazing how many artists and stars were trained in or grew up in St Petersburg. No major ballet company in the world without at least one importance cast member from St Petersburg.

Yeah, White Nights is a cool time to be in the city. Most visitors are Russians from other regions or other countries returning home so it is crowded but never a hassle except to get tickets for the Mariinsky Theater.

Although official White Nights dates are usually June 21-July 11 or so, changes by the season, the atmosphere last most of the summer. Rock concerts, fireworks, street dances, midnight swimming and a lot of proposals occur during this time so there is a lot to enjoy after the tours.

So what IS White Nights, I think my description of emotional rebirth is about as good as any.

Unfortunately your dates do not fit the official dates but there will be no lack of late night activities at the beginning of June but the sun does set a little earlier, around midnight. Many people think of White Nights starting at the beginning of June and judging by the activity it is easy to see why they think that. I used to write about history, culture and cultural events for a glossy monthly in St Petersburg and I remember the difficulty in paring down the events lists to fit the number of inches I had to work with. In mid summer, there were are least 50 festivals or special world class events from classical music to flower festivals and parades and everything in between....every day! By the time I listed the programs at the major theaters for their formal events, and included a few general interest festivals, my 1/2 page A3 sized paper of lisiting in tiny sized print was filled leaving another 20 or so unpromoted. One day in July I counted 18 classical/chamber concerts on one night. Every night of the summer until late into the fall there is a spectacular fireworks display over the the River near Peter and Paul Fortress across from the Palace embankment.

Have fun, it is easy to have fun in St Petersburg.

Thank you for your interesting (as usual) commentary on the White Nights in St. Petersburg. So, it's not just a matter of daylight and darkness but also a "joyful awakening" after a "winter's hibernation" so to speak. I wish our ship would be there longer than 2 days but ............. :(

We do have a busy 2 days and 1 night at a folklore show including a canal ride to which we are looking forward. :) :D

Bobby

Archived