Conquest or NCL Spirit??

tinner

DW and I are trying to plan our 2nd cruise for this winter in either Jan or Feb. Our first was on the Crown Princess last year out of Ft Lauderdale, and we are addicted to cruising now!

However, this year, since we have both always wanted to see New Orleans, we are trying to find a cruise out of there, and these seem to be the two ships and itineraries that we are most interested in.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Also one major question...do either offer refrigerators in Balcony staterooms, and who has the best room service?

Thanks!

I would do the Conquest. We did the NCL Spirit several years ago and just did not enjoy the ship. It was originally built for Star Cruises out of Asia and the beds were low and short as were the counters and sinks. Carnival cabins are much larger and the food is better on Carnival. We ended up with a big bill for eating at the alternative restaurants on the NCL Spirit because the food in the dining room was inedible.

After 8 cruises with carnival, we thought we woulkd try another line. We chose NCL Spirit and it was the worst cruise we ever took. I guess we were spolied with being with carnival and expected at the very least, the same quality of a cruise. But we were disappointed with the cruise and the only thing I liked better with NCL was their shows. But I do think no matter which ship you choose, you will have a good time. You might want to consider Norwegian. They also have a ship that leaves N. O.

Totally different experiences for two vastly different ships!

I've sailed on both (Conquest in 05'-the last sailing out of NO before Katrina hit) and (NCL Spirit December 2011). There is just NO way to compare the two ships. The conquest is great! It's huge and your typical Carnival Ship. We had a balcony and loved it! We also had a balcony on the Spirit. Much smaller than on Conquest. Balcony staterooms on NCL have coffee pots-a plus if you want to drink a cup without ordering room service. I LOVED the bathrooms on the spirit! They really are the best! You have doors to the shower AND the toilet. You could technically have three people in the bathroom at the same time. The tv in the room is old and tiny! Yes, the food in the main dining room was less impressive than Carnival. We found that we LOVED the italian place the best. We tried the Japaneese grill-It was ok. The steakhouse, to me, seemed less impressive than Carnival. The quality of the shows on NCL was WAY better! We LOVED the ships decor on the spirit. It really is a unique ship. The staff on the ship had a certain sense of pride being on that ship. Hands down, we thought the Spirit was the best decorated ship we have ever been on. Like I said, the ships themselves just don't compare. I wouldn't hesitate to go on the Spirit again!!! I do think everyone needs to try NCL at some point. True, you spend more going to the different dining places, if you choose. But that gives you way more options. I like mixing things up by going on a smaller ship. Oh, if you want a suite-NCL all the way. We toured the suites on the cabin crawl. We've had suites on Carnival (Glory and Ecstasy) before. I really want to do a suite on NCL soon-you have a butler, the rooms are immaculate, etc, etc.

Our next ship...The MAGIC! We leave in 8 days!!!

Hope this helps!

I'm trying to make the same decision.

I also look at pricing to help decide. People keep mentioning that on NCL the cost of the specialty restaurants make it more expensive. Just looking at the price to book, if you compare Early Saver on Carnival to NCL then Carnival will be less of course you booke early saver several months out.

If you book closer to sailing, I think the prices for NCL are slightly lower which would leave money to cover other items like a specialty restaurant or two.

Carnival and NCL both recently went to new menus so older comments on the food may not be valid if the complaint was variety or choice.

Carnival's room will be bigger. NCL has one extra port day.

That's my little bit of input.

Archived