Transport food products from NY to St. Thomas on cruise ship?

NoName

Hi everyone,

Here is a question that I haven't seen asked before.

I have a friend who moved from NY to St. Thomas a few years ago. There are 2 things they miss from home, Crogan bologna and cheese curd. I am sailing on the explorer of the seas from NJ to St. Thomas. We are driving to the port, so I am going to transport the food in a cooler. I then plan on putting it in the minibar frig on board. My only question is if I will have any problems taking this food off the ship in St. Thomas?

The food products will be in their original packaging, however, it is a local delicacy, so the packaging is not the sort of mass product packaging they may expect. I know that we are prohibited from taking food from the ship. What is my best bet on getting these treats from home to my friend? Do I hide it in a backpack, or declare the products as I leave the ship?

Anyone have any experience in this? They have wanted me to bring this for the last 3 years, but I have always had to fly. This is my first opportunity.

Kim

Hi everyone,

Here is a question that I haven't seen asked before.

I have a friend who moved from NY to St. Thomas a few years ago. There are 2 things they miss from home, Crogan bologna and cheese curd. I am sailing on the explorer of the seas from NJ to St. Thomas. We are driving to the port, so I am going to transport the food in a cooler. I then plan on putting it in the minibar frig on board. My only question is if I will have any problems taking this food off the ship in St. Thomas?

The food products will be in their original packaging, however, it is a local delicacy, so the packaging is not the sort of mass product packaging they may expect. I know that we are prohibited from taking food from the ship. What is my best bet on getting these treats from home to my friend? Do I hide it in a backpack, or declare the products as I leave the ship?

Anyone have any experience in this? They have wanted me to bring this for the last 3 years, but I have always had to fly. This is my first opportunity.

Kim

Not going to happen. I wouldn't even think about trying to sneak it on. You would be in very deep if (when) caught

Check the laws in St. Thomas. In most countries, it's a crime to bring in meats, milk products, veggies, plants, etc. You could be fined, or even, arrested. The reason is bringing in pests and microbes that are NOT indigenous to that country. Sure...it may be a U.S. territory, but they are an isolated island...they don't need our "bugs" there!

Not going to happen. I wouldn't even think about trying to sneak it on. You would be in very deep if (when) caught

What rule is being broken? I have brought food on board before, no problem. (although I never intended to keep it very long) St. Thomas is a U.S. territory, so it wouldn't seem like a customs issue, and the food is packaged. Just trying to figure out why this is an issue. FWIW, I once brought a sausage back from Budapest. I wasn't sure if it was an issue, and I just asked when I got to the US. It was, I tossed it, and went on my way. No problem at all. Maybe you should ask RCI?

Ok, I did a web search and found the appropriate web site. From reading the regulations, all the law says is that I MUST declare when bringing in any animal products. If I declare and it is NOT allowed, they will simply take it away from me. If I fail to declare and they find it, I can be fined 1000.00. The web site also provided an email address from questions, so I have sent an email to:

AskNCIE.Products@aphis.usda.gov<AskNCIE.Products@aphis.usda.gov>;

I will let everyone know what I find out.

Kim

Another thing I'd be worried about is the temperature of the mini-fridge. They don't seem to be cold enough to safely store meats.

yes yes Yes ... this was my second thought - after: you shouldn't introduce foodstuffs period . . .

btw, I was Captain of a ship that called at this port, and I wouldn't do it without the proper authorizations

Really, you think it would be a big problem? I was thinking it may be ok since the food was from the US and St. Thomas is a US territory? Anyone else have any thoughts?

Kim

California and Hawaii are both US states - just try bringing a piece of fruit into either and see what happens to you.

I don't think people are aruging about the severity of the penalty ... just that a) the law says you shouldn't do it and b) the laws are, believe it or not, there for a reason ... no one ever intends to introduce a foreign pest/parasite, but lo-and-behold ....

Beyond that, I'll echo the comments that the mini-fridge will not keep those meats cool enough.

What happens? Do they have death squads standing by, or do they toss it into a trash can and send you on your way?

Well, they could do that - or they could hit you with a hefty fine - guess it depends on their mood at the time. Don't remember exactly where it was, but there was a report on these boards about a year ago - small child took a bite out of an apple on the plane and slipped the rest into mom's tote without her noticing. Cost $300.

Archived