Can you see the pitons from the ship?

angel61

Hi Everyone,

Which side of the ship can they be seen from when arriving and departing? On our S. Caribbean cruise we've got a balcony cabin on the starboard side. If it makes a difference, we are arriving in St Lucia coming from St Martin and departing going in the direction of Grenada. We're hoping for an UBD on that night with views of the pitons as we sail away. If not, I guess it'll have to be early morning coffee! :)

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Which side of the ship can they be seen from when arriving and departing? On our S. Caribbean cruise we've got a balcony cabin on the starboard side. If it makes a difference, we are arriving in St Lucia coming from St Martin and departing going in the direction of Grenada. We're hoping for an UBD on that night with views of the pitons as we sail away. If not, I guess it'll have to be early morning coffee! :)

Thanks!

We've always seen them on the starboard side of the ship in the morning. I don't recall seeing them during our departure. I think I woke up around 5:30 or so to see them from our balcony. Taken from the Serenade of the Seas last August:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Since you're heading South you should see the Pitons soon after departure - on the port side.

You won't see them in the morning if you are arriving from the North.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Very likely you will be heading south out of the port to head to Grenada, as such, the Pitons would be on the Port side of the ship. Depending on what time your ship leaves though, would make a big difference. Sunset around here is around 5:45-6 every night - and it is full dark by about 6:15-6:30. If your ship leaves port at 6, you won't see much of the Pitons at all as it will be dark! If your ship leave at 5, you will probably be able to see them, about like the pics above.

We'll be on the Noordam and it leaves port early on St. Lucia day to do a daylight cruise by the Pitons and actually anchors for a while at Soufriere (I think it's called) to pick up passengers. That's pretty much right at the foot of the Pitons.

I have looked at a map and see that the port is in the north and the pitons are in the south. So since we are coming from the north and returning to the north, seems like we will not pass by the pitons. Maybe the ship will go around the island?

Archived