Fly into EWR or not??

rabelgirls

I am just so torn about which airport to fly into. I have never sailed from Cape Liberty and will for the first time in February. I live in a small town with a small airport and can fly into Newark for $380. I can fly into Laguardia for $215. However, what about the transfers to the port? I think I can get transfers from Newark from Celebrity with my cruise, but not from Laguardia. Can anyone help me with this? Please and thank you!!

A taxi from LaGuardia to the Port will cost over $70 plus you have to pay for tolls and a tip. But since the airfare is so much cheaper, it might make sense. Depending on traffic, it could take up to an hour though.

Don't negate the concerns about weather issues in February -- if you are flying in the day of your cruise, you might want to take the flight to EWR. Are the prices you quoted for round-trip? Then figure transfers in both directions. And if the cruise begins on a week-day you'll be at Cape Liberty lots quicker from EWR than from LGA.

I am just so torn about which airport to fly into. I have never sailed from Cape Liberty and will for the first time in February. I live in a small town with a small airport and can fly into Newark for $380. I can fly into Laguardia for $215. However, what about the transfers to the port? I think I can get transfers from Newark from Celebrity with my cruise, but not from Laguardia. Can anyone help me with this? Please and thank you!!

I would definitely fly into Newark. Not only will getting to the port from LaGuardia be hellish on a week day morning, Newark is a larger airport and it just makes more sense to fly into it rather than LGA. Many flights are cheaper into and out of LGA but that's not necessarily the best option.

I'd also consider flying in the day before. If the weather is bad, your flight will be one of the first to be cancelled. Keep in mind, last February NJ had two major snow storms within a few weeks of each other.

We're taking the February cruise on the Silhouette on 2/10 and I'm already looking at possible hotels in the area in case the weather is iffy. We live in NW NJ and weather can change drastically between us and the port.

Hope this helps.

Definitely Newark! We also live in NJ and only about 1 1/2 hrs. from Newark, south on 95, and we have booked a hotel right at the airport for shuttle to Cape Liberty in March.

A great example of weather here is the last storm we had a few weeks ago, north Jersey was socked in with 19 inches of snow, south of Trenton we had nothing, little sleet and mostly rain. You can go from the western part of the state in a blizzard and be in rain around the ports.

The best thing would be fly in the day before and I'd also avoid LaGuardia. It's small and you have to get thru the city on a weekday. Not a good idea.

Have a great cruise.

Pat C

Fly in the day before and definitely fly into Newark. The transfers will cost you as much as the difference in flights...

A taxi from LaGuardia to the Port will cost over $70 plus you have to pay for tolls and a tip. But since the airfare is so much cheaper, it might make sense. Depending on traffic, it could take up to an hour though.

Just flew into EWR two weeks ago to sail out of Bayonne and the taxi fare was $47 (fixed fare from the airport booth) + $2 tolls. So not that much different.

Thank you all for your responses... coming in a day early may be my best bet. And yes, flying into Newark is definately worth the extra $$ regardless of the situation. Anyone know how much transfers are through Celbrity from the airport to the pier?

Thank you all for your responses... coming in a day early may be my best bet. And yes, flying into Newark is definately worth the extra $$ regardless of the situation. Anyone know how much transfers are through Celbrity from the airport to the pier?

If you fly in the day before and do not intend to do any site seeing, staying at the airport is the best bet. There really are no hotels in Bayonne and you do not want to pick a hotel in Newark proper. Most of the hotels at the airports are listed as being in Newark or Elizabeth.There are some good hotels in Staten island but it would be an added expense if your only looking for sleeping quarters.

There are hotels that provide complimentary shuttle from airport to hotel, and from hotel to cruise port. Two of them are on Staten Island, Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn. EM

If they have free shuttles, grab them in a minute if the price is right...

There are hotels that provide complimentary shuttle from airport to hotel, and from hotel to cruise port. Two of them are on Staten Island, Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn. EM

I'm on the Hampton Inn Staten Island site right now and don't see anything about a shuttle to and from the cruise port. What about parking? We would have to leave our car there for 12 nights of the cruise?

I just want to add my strong recommendation to fly into Newark. I live only 20 minutes from the airport and use it exclusively for all my many flights. It is a hop,skip and jump to the Bayonne port.

Forget La Guardia it will be a big mistake even if you can save a little money.

If you are considering a hotel, I suggest the hotel in the airport which I think is a Marriott. Nice hotel and very convenient.

Just flew into and out of EWR for the 2 night Silhouette. I have had bad experiences (and heard of others also having them) with taxis to and from this port. I prefer a car service. Won't cost you much more and the service is much better.

Last time I stayed overnight I used the Hampton near the airport. I did not need parking but if you do try buyreservations.com. All reservations come with 7 to 14 days of parking. I haven't used them in NJ but I have used them in many other cities and states with no problems.

I would suggest you contact your travel agent or Celebrity and have them guide you. If it were me, I would spend the extra and fly into Newark. In the long run it will be less stressful. We never fly in the day of the cruise. It's too risky. We always go in a day early. Enjoy your cruise

Archived