Advice for hubby?

alpenglow

He's a clothes-challenged male who cares not one whit for fashion, and I'm just as clueless about men's clothing as he is. :o Due to some serious biomechanical problems, there's just one pair of shoes - plain black - that he can wear for any length of time without enduring a lot of pain. Dress shoes are out of the question. So, dear hubby goes to buy his first new dress clothes in about 10 years, just for this cruise, and all the people at the store are telling him he must not wear black shoes! One suit is semiformal and a beautiful deep charcoal shade, almost black. He also got a medium weight, light gray sport jacket with a subtle pattern in blue and brown thread, matched with a pair of navy pants. The store clerks say he must have burgundy shoes with these outfits. :confused: I can see the gray/navy/burgundy combo but it is true that he shouldn't wear black shoes with the charcoal suit?? Help, dear fashionistas ... we are looking to you for expert, unbiased guidance!

Burgundy shoes? Um, not necessary, especially if he has foot problems and needs his comfortable shoes. Black will work fine.

I haven't even heard of burgundy men's shoes, unless they are meaning the kind of cognac colored, brown with a deep red tinge that you see sometimes.

With problem feet, comfort trumps fashion!

He's a clothes-challenged male who cares not one whit for fashion, and I'm just as clueless about men's clothing as he is. :o Due to some serious biomechanical problems, there's just one pair of shoes - plain black - that he can wear for any length of time without enduring a lot of pain. Dress shoes are out of the question. So, dear hubby goes to buy his first new dress clothes in about 10 years, just for this cruise, and all the people at the store are telling him he must not wear black shoes! One suit is semiformal and a beautiful deep charcoal shade, almost black. He also got a medium weight, light gray sport jacket with a subtle pattern in blue and brown thread, matched with a pair of navy pants. The store clerks say he must have burgundy shoes with these outfits. :confused: I can see the gray/navy/burgundy combo but it is true that he shouldn't wear black shoes with the charcoal suit?? Help, dear fashionistas ... we are looking to you for expert, unbiased guidance!

I am a fashionable dresser and yes burgandy shoes would look better but black will be fine. Let's not cripple the guy by having him wear shoes that won't be comfortable. Your on vacation so just dress comfortable and have fun.

If he has medical reasons for wearing his shoes, who cares what other people think. The ignorant clerks are also trying to make a buck, too.

I would make sure however, that the shoes are cleaned, shined, and polished.

My DH is also fashion-challenged, but he always follows the black shoes/black belt or brown shoes/brown belt rule, and he looks just fine.

He also has a pair of cordovan loafers but I think of those as business casual rather than suit-worthy. JMHO.

On vacation, comfort trumps fashion in my book. Here in NY, black is always our first fashion choice. :)

I am not clothes challenged.

It is very appropriate to wear black shoes with gray slack and of course black slacks and I would not wear any other color with it.

With navy pants you can wear black shoes as well.

Maybe the guy was trying to sell him some shoes but black shoes will be fine.

Yes burgundy like shoes, and cordovan shoes and brown shoes have their place but he is fine with the black shoes with the pants you described.

He should match his belt to the shoes so he should wear a black belt.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Grey and black always great. Hmm grey is just a light black. Burgundy no way. I would pair a brown or even burgundy with navy myself. But... If the black look fine who cares. I would actually have him return the navy pants and get light grey to match the jacket and go with black shoes. If he has shoes he loves and wears why buy something he will not love as much.

Black shoes are fine.

Fashionistas... before you poo poo the burgundy shoes, think of the Ferragamo dark burgundy loafers with their great buckle. They are almost dark bourdeau and go with almost everything. They are more neutral than black.

JMHO..... :)

Black shoes with the charcoal is perfectly acceptable. The black with the navy/brown combo isn't going to look very good at all.

By the way, "burgundy" is just a shade of brown that's a little more ruddy then chocolate-y.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shopping/Results.aspx?N=4294957708+4294965945+6208

Black shoes are fine.

Fashionistas... before you poo poo the burgundy shoes, think of the Ferragamo dark burgundy loafers with their great buckle. They are almost dark bourdeau and go with almost everything. They are more neutral than black.

JMHO..... :)

I couldn't agree more! :)

Please tell him to dress comfortably. We promise not to look at his shoes - and considering what I have seen some folks wear, neither will anyone else!

• 2 weeks later...

I bet by burgundy they meant cordovan, a very dark shade of red brown, which is a pretty traditional colour for men's shoes. The Spouse always has a pair in his closet. So the sales clerks might not have been as clueless as they seemed.

That said I can't imagine that anyone would think twice about black as a fine option. And if that is what he can wear in comfort then by all means!

I will offer up a general tip on men's dress shoes; Cole Haan makes really nice looking men's shoes, plenty dressy enough for suit wear with the nike air sole built in. Amazing shoes.

I bet by burgundy they meant cordovan, a very dark shade of red brown, which is a pretty traditional colour for men's shoes. The Spouse always has a pair in his closet. So the sales clerks might not have been as clueless as they seemed.

That said I can't imagine that anyone would think twice about black as a fine option. And if that is what he can wear in comfort then by all means!

Totally agree ~

Archived