Another medical evacuation on the Oosterdam

billroddy

Previously reported the November 5 SD departure of the Oosterdam was delayed a day becuase of evacuation of three ill passenbers off Hawaii.

We sailed San Diego on Sunday, Nov 6 for Puerto Vallarta.

Then on Tuesday morning the captain annouced that an ill crewmember would have to be taken off the ship at Cabo San Lucas.

We diverted to Cabo and a tender came out for the evacuation of a female crew member who was able to walk aboard the tender.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Saw the Oosterdam pull into Cabo Tuesday for the medevac. Only here about an hour at the most.

Kudos to the HAL crew for the Hawaii medevacs though. 5 crew members gave blood to assist in the care of one of the passengers. Outstanding gesture!

... Kudos to the HAL crew for the Hawaii medevacs though. 5 crew members gave blood to assist in the care of one of the passengers. Outstanding gesture!

Nothing about the amazing HAL crews surprise me ... but this is SO far above and beyond. Fantastic!

Previously reported the November 5 SD departure of the Oosterdam was delayed a day becuase of evacuation of three ill passenbers off Hawaii.

We sailed San Diego on Sunday, Nov 6 for Puerto Vallarta.

Then on Tuesday morning the captain annouced that an ill crewmember would have to be taken off the ship at Cabo San Lucas.

We diverted to Cabo and a tender came out for the evacuation of a female crew member who was able to walk aboard the tender.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Lisa reported on another thread that the crewmember was supposed to return to the ship when you made you "normal" stop. Do you know if she did?

I found out that it was actually a crew member that I know :o and they will be returning to the ship today. It sounded like it was a bit scary at the time but they are thankfully alright now.

I have done the Mexico run many times and it is actually rare not to make a medical stop in Cabo. I think only one cruise that I have been on that they did not. It actually makes it better for them to stop at Cabo last that way the person has a chance to reboard the ship on the return.:)

Kudos to the HAL crew for the Hawaii medevacs though. 5 crew members gave blood to assist in the care of one of the passengers. Outstanding gesture!

Just another testament to the incredibly dedicated crew on board the HAL ships! Thanks for sharing that information!

We just returned from a week's stay in Cabo. We were sitting poolside when we observed the Oosterdam make her pit stop. I then watched a few days later the Oosterdam, a Carnival ship and a Disney ship all in port. I was not in town at the time. This week the Carnival Splendor actually spent two consecutive days in the port. Just watching the ships got us anticipating our Panama canal trip that will include a day in Cabo.

Saw the Oosterdam pull into Cabo Tuesday for the medevac. Only here about an hour at the most.

I didn't read about this. What happened that the person needed so much blood?

Good job crew!

Two thumbs WAY UP!!

I didn't read about this. What happened that the person needed so much blood?

Good job crew!

Wasn't one passenger reported to have had internal bleeding (like a bleeding ulcer)? That would certainly explain the need for blood transfusions.

Archived