Beware of Luggage Express

Crystalbast

First of all I will say I have used the program when it works and it was great. However, I used it on my last cruise and I have no idea what happened to my luggage. I received the temporary scan tag to put on my luggage and put it out side my cabin on the last night. That is the last time I saw it. When I arrived in OKC, no suitcase and Continental Airlines did not show in their records that my luggage was checked in. I called Carnival and talked to the luggage office and they gave me the number of the company doing the luggage express. By the way, it is not a toll free number. I called 3 times yesterday and was told twice that they would email their port guy to find out what happened and they would call me back. No return call. I know that the port is hectic on Saturdays and Sundays but there should have been no problem with them finding out what happened on their end on a Monday. I am frustrated beyond belief because I cannot get an answer from the luggage express company and, so far, no one will take responsiblity for that happened.

People need to beware that when the program does NOT work it becomes a nightmare. If you are going to use it I would recommend still going to the check in counter when you arrive at the airport and have your airline verify that they show that your luggage has actually been checked in. Had I done that perhaps I might have been able to get them to find my luggage that day.

Who do you think should be liable when your luggage goes missing using Luggage Express?

1. Carnival

2. the Luggage Express People

3. your airline

Here is some additional information. I talked to the luggage section of Carnival and they gave me the telephone number for the entity handling the luggage express (which was not toll free). I did a reverse phone lookup and it showed up as located in the Orlando area and no business name came up which makes me wonder if it is a Mom and Pop type of operation. The fact that no business name came up associated with the phone number gives me a lot of concern about the problems that occur when your luggage goes missing. Is this entity even bonded? The paperwork that Carnival gives you does not really identify this entity and you aren't given any information up front on how to contact them. I am getting a sinking feeling that Carnival and this entity just assumes that your airline will pay any claim for lost luggage even if it is not the airline's fault. I think that I should be able to be reimbursed for the long distant phone calls that I can incurring trying to get action on my missing luggage.

Who do you think should be liable when your luggage goes missing using Luggage Express?

1. Carnival

3. your airline

Here is some additional information. I talked to the luggage section of Carnival and they gave me the telephone number for the entity handling the luggage express (which was not toll free). I did a reverse phone lookup and it showed up as located in the Orlando area and no business name came up which makes me wonder if it is a Mom and Pop type of operation. The fact that no business name came up associated with the phone number gives me a lot of concern about the problems that occur when your luggage goes missing. Is this entity even bonded? The paperwork that Carnival gives you does not really identify this entity and you aren't given any information up front on how to contact them. I am getting a sinking feeling that Carnival and this entity just assumes that your airline will pay any claim for lost luggage even if it is not the airline's fault. I think that I should be able to be reimbursed for the long distant phone calls that I can incurring trying to get action on my missing luggage.

Luggage express people.

Unlike an airline or cruiseline....Airline flies you and you have luggage,or ship sails to ports and you have luggage, the purpose of luggage express is to transport your luggage,so they have created a direct contract in the transportation of your bags.

1. Carnival

3. your airline

Another thought.

Who did you pay for this service and how did you pay? If credit card, dispute it asap. This whole thing should not cost you anything now.

If you wait it will be harder later.Right now you paid got no bags so payment for services that have not been rendered.If you wait,you will get your bags and then whats the gig deal,you got them eventually.

Another thought.

Who did you pay for this service and how did you pay? If credit card, dispute it asap. This whole thing should not cost you anything now.

If you wait it will be harder later.Right now you paid got no bags so payment for services that have not been rendered.If you wait,you will get your bags and then whats the gig deal,you got them eventually.

The $20 fee was charged on my sign and sail card by Carnival while on board. I will call Chase today and talk to them.

First of all I will say I have used the program when it works and it was great. However, I used it on my last cruise and I have no idea what happened to my luggage. I received the temporary scan tag to put on my luggage and put it out side my cabin on the last night. That is the last time I saw it. When I arrived in OKC, no suitcase and Continental Airlines did not show in their records that my luggage was checked in. I called Carnival and talked to the luggage office and they gave me the number of the company doing the luggage express. By the way, it is not a toll free number. I called 3 times yesterday and was told twice that they would email their port guy to find out what happened and they would call me back. No return call. I know that the port is hectic on Saturdays and Sundays but there should have been no problem with them finding out what happened on their end on a Monday. I am frustrated beyond belief because I cannot get an answer from the luggage express company and, so far, no one will take responsiblity for that happened.

People need to beware that when the program does NOT work it becomes a nightmare. If you are going to use it I would recommend still going to the check in counter when you arrive at the airport and have your airline verify that they show that your luggage has actually been checked in. Had I done that perhaps I might have been able to get them to find my luggage that day.

That sounds like a great suggestion. Did you have travel insurance? That might help offset the loss. I also believe that the liability belongs to the luggage express company, unless it can be shown (somehow) that the luggage was not delivered to them by CCL or that they delivered the luggage to the airline.

That sounds like a great suggestion. Did you have travel insurance? That might help offset the loss. I also believe that the liability belongs to the luggage express company, unless it can be shown (somehow) that the luggage was not delivered to them by CCL or that they delivered the luggage to the airline.

I did get the travel insurance offered by Carnival plus insurance for my airline flight. I am not sure which one would be used in this situation.

I did get the travel insurance offered by Carnival plus insurance for my airline flight. I am not sure which one would be used in this situation.

I'd start with CCL if it were me as they are the ones that made the arrangements (or shotgun it and file a claim with both simultaneously).

Unless you can prove either that the airline hired the luggage express company, or that that the luggage was delivered to the airline, you can forget about looking to the airline for compensation.

The next issue is can you prove that the luggage got to the luggage express company? If not then Carnival is who you go after.

Your best course of action is to assume that the luggage never got to luggage express and look to carnival for compensation.

Unless you can prove either that the airline hired the luggage express company, or that that the luggage was delivered to the airline, you can forget about looking to the airline for compensation.

The next issue is can you prove that the luggage got to the luggage express company? If not then Carnival is who you go after.

Your best course of action is to assume that the luggage never got to luggage express and look to carnival for compensation.

I was with the lady from Continental when she looked me up on the computer and I saw that Continental did not show any luggage checked in.

I do hope that your luggage turns up. I would imagine that the Luggage express people are liable, but if Carnival did not get your luggage to them so are they. I wouldn't want your headache at all.:eek:

I did find out this morning that my luggage is not at the pier.

Sorry you had a problem with Luggage Express. We've used it twice...once on RCCL (Mariner) and once on CCL (Dream), and both times it worked perfectly. Both of those cruises were out of Port Canaveral where they really seem to have their act together.

The latest is that the Luggage Express company's records DO NOT show that the actual airline tag was put on my luggage in place of the valet tag. Right now they are inferring that Carnival did not do the paperwork right.
Do you have any other identification on the bags, like those little card slot ID things most suitcases have? Hopefully whatever lost luggage office they end up in will have a way to track you down.

Do you have any other identification on the bags, like those little card slot ID things most suitcases have? Hopefully whatever lost luggage office they end up in will have a way to track you down.

Yes I do have a name tag on my luggage. As of now, Carnival still indicates that it is not at the pier. Luggage Express (aka Airport Bags Plus on the Internet) indicates that the received an email from their Miami Port guy and he indicated that he had no record of my luggage being received (it would have been with all of the other Luggage Express bags). Continental still has no record of it but I am currently on hold with someone from Continental who is trying to get someone from Carnival on the line.

I have called and emailed everyone that I can think of (even Airport Bags Plus' Corporate HQ and the Miami International Airport Lost and Found). I also now know which cruise lines uses this service and will be very busy tonight posting on the other cruise line's section a Beware of Luggage Express thread. I told the last lady I talked to at Carnival's Guest Services that Carnival does have to take some of the blame for contracting with a company that is not that reliable. Luggage Express is currently trying to put the blame on Carnival claiming that Carnival didn't do the paperwork right.

And before anyone asks, I am not asking for a free cruise out of this because, frankly, I don't have the clothes to go on a cruise now anyway. :D:p

I would be totally happy just to be my luggage back.

Yes I do have a name tag on my luggage. As of now, Carnival still indicates that it is not at the pier. Luggage Express (aka Airport Bags Plus on the Internet) indicates that the received an email from their Miami Port guy and he indicated that he had no record of my luggage being received (it would have been with all of the other Luggage Express bags). Continental still has no record of it but I am currently on hold with someone from Continental who is trying to get someone from Carnival on the line.

I have called and emailed everyone that I can think of (even Airport Bags Plus' Corporate HQ and the Miami International Airport Lost and Found). I also now know which cruise lines uses this service and will be very busy tonight posting on the other cruise line's section a Beware of Luggage Express thread. I told the last lady I talked to at Carnival's Guest Services that Carnival does have to take some of the blame for contracting with a company that is not that reliable. Luggage Express is currently trying to put the blame on Carnival claiming that Carnival didn't do the paperwork right.

And before anyone asks, I am not asking for a free cruise out of this because, frankly, I don't have the clothes to go on a cruise now anyway. :D:p

I do understand your frustration but mistakes happen at the best of companies. It might not be too wise slamming them all over the internet (especially since they are still looking for your luggage:eek:;)).

Just because Continental has no record doesn't mean those bags aren't sitting in their lost luggage office. The trick is finding someone willing to physically look, and not just in the computer.

That goes for Carnival, and the baggage handlers at the pier as well.

Good luck! Hopefully somebody will eventually find your name tag on those bags and call you!

As of right now, Luggage Express IS NOTactually doing anything to find my luggage. They emailed their Port guy who said that he has no record that an airline tag was printed. They are telling me that 1) Carnival messed up the paperwork (I did receive the Valet tag and boarding passes and I did put the valet tag on the luggage) and 2) I should let Continental find the luggage. How can Continental find my luggage when 1) Luggage Express won't even admit to picking it up at the pier and 2) they did not put the Continental check in tag on the bag. It becomes a needle in the haystack. I have even emailed the Miami Airport Lost and Found myself. I now feel that I need to find out what other airlines that Carnival sent luggage to that day and contact them directly to see if it ended up there.

What I am angry about is the total lack of anyone assuming responsbility for this mess. I will assume responsiblity for making a poor decision to use the program. I also think that people who are likely to be targeted by the cruise lines should know what can happen when the program does not work as advertised. Remember, outside of the envelope with the Luggage Express information, a charge to your sign and sail cards, copies of your boarding passes (if you print new ones at the airport) are the only proof you have that you participated in the program.

If Luggage Express had put the airline luggage tag on the bag there would be a reasonable chance that it will show up. It is such a disaster with EVERYONE claiming that they KNOW NOTHING (kind of reminds my of Sgt. Schultz on the old Hogans Heroes show). The more that time goes by the greater the chance that it will never show up. I do not have any positive hopes on the situation at this time.

I don't understand did CCL not give you the actual airline tags to put on yourself?

It is my understanding thats how it is done on Royal Caribbean, my daughter did this and they gave her the airline tags to put on herself and then they put the bags out.

With Carnival all you get is a scanable Valet Tag and your boarding passes. Luggage Express is supposed to scan it into their records and print out the actual airline luggage tag. If that airline tag is never put on the luggage I don't know how the heck your airline is supposed to find it. There is no record that Continental (in my case) ever received it. It sucks that Luggage Express isn't actually doing anything but blame Carnival and tell me to wait for Continental to find it. My luggage would have been with all of the other luggage express luggage so I can't figure out how they messed it up.

You asked who should be responsible. My answer is the person you paid. You paid carnival for this service and they subcontract through another company. I would call carnival and find someone who will take ownership and have them find your luggage. I would be so angry if I were you because everyone is passing the buck. I would call the person you paid and say I paid you for this service and am not getting help. I am sure there is a customer resolution department that can help but the average phone person worry more about sales. I would also send a tweet to http://twitter.com/#!/MickyArison and also one to http://twitter.com/#!/CarnivalCruise and one to http://twitter.com/#!/CCLSupport asking for help. Good luck and I hope you find answers soon

With Carnival all you get is a scanable Valet Tag and your boarding passes. Luggage Express is supposed to scan it into their records and print out the actual airline luggage tag. If that airline tag is never put on the luggage I don't know how the heck your airline is supposed to find it. There is no record that Continental (in my case) ever received it. It sucks that Luggage Express isn't actually doing anything but blame Carnival and tell me to wait for Continental to find it. My luggage would have been with all of the other luggage express luggage so I can't figure out how they messed it up.
It's possible then that Luggage Express never picked it up and it's still sitting at the port. Right?

I think a Certified Letter to the Carnival HQ is in order. In my mind, ultimately, they sold you the service and collected the fee so they bear the responsibility. However, I have cruised many time and have often wondered what would prevent someone from picking up my luggage once I set it out of the cabin. In reality, it would be quite simple to grab a bag, take it to a cabin, change the labels and carry it off the next day. Hopefully, it will show up soon.

Archived