How important is a window or a balcony room?

mouse78

We are going on our first cruise and we were just wondering just how important it is to have a balcony? I know it depends on lifestyle, preferences etc. Basically- is it worth 300-400 more per person? Is having an interior cabin a really big deal? I am mostly there to see the port cities, so I am not sure how much time we will spend on the ship anyway. However, this is going to be our BIG vacation and the last one for awhile. What do you think?

For me, a balcony is VERY important! I like to be able to access the outside without having to dress and primp before going outside!

I would never do just a window cabin again...did it once...hated it! The only saving grace was the natural light...don't expect a relaxing viewing space!

Some folks spend all their time on the balcony....we don't spend a ton of time on it, but it's sure nice to have! We like being comfortable in our cabin when we are in there!

However, my mom would NEVER pay for anything but an inside cabin....it's fine with her! So it's really a personal preference!

We are going on our first cruise and we were just wondering just how important it is to have a balcony? I know it depends on lifestyle, preferences etc. Basically- is it worth 300-400 more per person? Is having an interior cabin a really big deal? I am mostly there to see the port cities, so I am not sure how much time we will spend on the ship anyway. However, this is going to be our BIG vacation and the last one for awhile. What do you think?

We went on our first cruise last February, and decided to go the cheapest route on the cabin, and spend most of our money on excursions and other fun things. I didn't regret it. We booked an interior cabin and ended up with one with doors that opened to a view obstructed by a lifeboat. I didn't mind, because we paid for the lowest category, and we still got to open the doors for some air at night, we got to listen to the ocean, and we got to peer out under the lifeboat in the early mornings to see how close we were to our destinations. I wouldn't mind it even if we didn't have the doors, but they were nice. I think a balcony would be very nice, but if you're not planning on spending a lot of time in your cabin it's not really worth the money to me.

When I was younger I used to think that an inside room was fine, after all how much time do you spend in your cabin? After our last cruise I will never sail without a balcony again. Getting up each morning, having room service deliver coffee, and sitting out on the balcony...That's relaxation!

Whatever you decide....ENJOY

Bon Voyage!

I'm a total germphobe and the idea that there is no fresh air circulating in inside cabins puts me off. Even though things are dusted and vacuumed, that air needs to go somewhere too. I have no idea how clean and well-circulating the air ventilation system is either. Also, there is no natural UV light to kill a few microbes here and there. Call me crazy, but I'll take the balcony room any day and continue to bring along my disinfectant wipes even with the fresh air!

We have been on many cruises but tried only one with a balcony (Oriana) - did not like it as there was too much wind noise at night. We found out that this is quite common but it hardly ever mentioned.

with 15 balconies-- I have never experienced the wind when we were in the cabin- I think the seal on the door needed to be a tad tighter.

I do not believe that the wind is a common factor on a balcony cabin.

Now-- the slamming of those doors-- thats another con with the balcony cabins-- the people around you will slam that door day and night

yes I quite agree, I also think it depends on where you are going, I went on a 7 day transatlantic cruise and wasn't able to use the balcony as the weather was not good, but when I was in the carribean there was nothing better than sitting on the balcony first thing in the morning with a nice warm breeze, listening to the waves....... wish I was there now!

For me, a balcony is VERY important!use t I like to be able to access the outside without having to dress animp he balconybefore going outside!

I would never do just a window cabin again...did it once...hated it! The only saving grace was the natural light...don't expect a relaxing viewing space!

Some folks spend all their time on the balcony....we don't spend a ton of time on it, but it's sure nice to have! We like being comfortable in our cabin when we are in there!

However, my mom would NEVER pay for anything but an inside cabin....it's fine with her! So it's really a personal preference!

We have only done five cruises and have chosen an inside cabin each time. It is always dark inside, but we leave the bathroom light on during the night.

We only use the cabin to get washed and ready for the day or evening. I can understand people wanting privacy, but there are quiet areas on a ship you can go to away from the noise.:)

My wife and I always opt for a balcony on longer cruises. We'll get an inside on a short cruise if we just want to sail and save some money, and if we're cruising somewhere that we've been before. But sitting on the balcony and drinking coffee in the morning and watching the early morning light come up, that's one of the many great delights on a cruise. My advice: since this is a big vacation, get the balcony.

I have done both inside and balcony. If the weather is great every day, you will use room service a lot and will stay in the cabin because you have to or have agoraphobia, get a balcony, they are bigger too.

We like a dark bedroom, hang on deck swimming or sunbathing, we socialize outside the cabin and rarely use room service. We use the money we save more drinks and better excursions, those things are what we remember! The beds, and baths are the same.

I've cruised a couple of times in an inside. The last time in an inside DH said we would at least HAVE to have a window next time, he couldn't take it without it. So I surprised him on the next cruise and we got an aft balcony. NOW, he will not cruise unless he has an aft balcony. Talk about spoiled!

So, to answer the question, it depends on the individual. Since my DH smokes, a balcony (on a ship that permits smoking on a balcony) is a must.

For me, I love a balcony but wish I could cruise more and would take an inside in a heartbeat just to be able to do so.

The extra room in a cabin for a suite really doesn't interest me unless I would be having 4 to a room or could get a good deal.

All depends on your priorities.

As a solo cruiser, I have had ocean view and inside cabins. I quickly realized (while cruising in very hot weather with the drapes closed) that the "ocean view" was an unnecessary expense. Often the beds are positioned so that it's not possible to sit near the window anyway.

While I would like to have a balcony, the cost is prohibitive for a solo passenger. I take inside cabins on the promenade deck, which means I have quick access to the biggest verandah on the ship. If I want to know what's going on outside, the TV cameras will show me. You can let the TV screen be your "window."

We are going to cruise on the Norwegian (NCL) Spirit for the first time leaving on Nov. 20th 2011 for a Thanksgiving cruise out of New Orleans (this Sunday) and we booked a balcony for the first time, so we will see. I can tell you more after we cruise. I have read a lot of reviews about it being wonderful, etc.. I am concerned about the smokers on the adjacent balconies since I am NOT a smoker....but I have a feeling since I like open spaces I will LOVE the balcony. Will come back to you on this. :D

I am of the same view as a previous person I would rather do an inside cabin than not cruise at all, up to now I've done 2 balcony cabins and 2 ocean view, I wouldn't go for a balcony again unless I was somewhere warm such as The Caribbean where we had one and loved it our other balcony was going out to the Canaries in April when most of the time it was too cold out at sea to enjoy it. Our 2 ocean view cabins were fine and we spend very little time in our cabin so with retirement approaching fast we're going to try an inside cabin in January I know i can cope with it OK but my wife's not so sure, I've suggested to her leaving the TV on with the sound muted on the channel that shows the view from the bridge but I don't know if that will work or not.

I've never had an inside, I know I need natural light and I love to look out the window. Having said that, for your first time an inside should be fine. I find most people gradually move up the ladder to a balcony slowly. It definitely is hard to go back down the ladder. The balcony is wonderful for that first view every morning and to be able to go outside in your pj's in the morning or late at night and watch the stars and feel the breeze. My husband goes to bed earlier than me and I love to just sit out there and think about the day and what is ahead for tomorrow. Oh, I want to go on a cruise NOW!!

OH, never had an issue with the wind being too loud, must have been a problem with the door.

We have been on 14 cruises and have found that it doesn't matter that much. We only recently switched to insides after going primarily with oceanview. We have also tried one suite, which was nice, and a couple of balconies. My wife likes to sleep in and I get up early, so me on the balcony early doesn't work too well for us. I find a spot on deck that I like and go have coffee there and enjoy the early morning in that spot. Initially, we thought we might feel "closed in" since our first inside was a 12 night cruise in the Caribbean, but it turned out to be one of the best we have taken. That cruise convinced us that inside was fine. We just like being on a ship and having the most pressing thing to consider, be where and when we will eat next.

Archived