Beware of Luggage Express Program

Crystalbast

I just came from from sailing on Carnival Valor Sunday and used their Luggage Express program (known as Airport Bags Plus on the Internet). I have used the program before and when it works it is great, when it doesn't it is an absolute disaster.

As you can guess, my experience this time was not a good one. When I arrived in OKC, sans luggage, the lady at Continental baggage claimed checked their records and they did not show that I had any luggage checked in (I saw the screen myself). I filed a notice of lost luggage with Continental.

I called Carnival the next morning and Guest Serivces referred me to the Luggage Express people (not a toll free call by the way). They were to email their Miami Port agent to find out what happened and call me back. The second call went the same way. A total of four calls later (now 48 hours after I got off of the ship, they finally heard from their port guy. He does not show that a airport tag was printed off and put on my luggage. Now they are trying to blame Carnival. They tell me to let Continental find it (how they will without them putting a Continental check in tag on the luggage I don't know).

I have called everyone I can think of: Carnival Guest Service, Continental, Luggage Express and even emailed the Miami Airport Lost and Found the the Corporate HQ for Luggage Express. The last lady that I talked to at Continental is trying to call someone she knows at Carnival to get a phone number for the pier (at least she is trying to help).

It dawned on me (too late) that when you participate in this program you are doing it on a wing and a prayer that things will work out. I have found out (again too late) that when it does not work out it is an absolute nightmare. Unlike when you check your luggage in by yourself at the airline where you get a checked bag sticker with identifying info, you don't get the same comfort level with Luggage Expree. The only proof I have that I participated in the program is that I have the envelope that my valet sticker and bording passes came it, I kept the boarding passes and printed new ones at the airport when I changed my seat assignment, and the charge on my sign and sail card.

If you do choose to participate in the program I would seriously recommend that you still go to the check in counter of your airline and ask them to confirm that your luggage has actually been checked in. I can tell you that I will never use the program again.

Our experience last week with Princess totally different. Night before

disembarking, we received boarding passes and luggage tags.We put the tags on our luggage.

These tag numbers were also on our boarding pass. Our luggage was waiting on arrival in San Diego (we boarded plane in Ft. Lauderdale with a change in Texas). I did notice that when we claimed our luggage

the original tags were changed to different ones. First tags didn't have destination. The letter that came with them said all the info was in bar code and wouldn't show destination.New tags showed the change in Texas and final destination.I think Princess uses a different service than Carnival.

This is the second time we used Luggage direct and both went smoothly. I can see where it could fail. Luggage could be collected on the ship and not go to the Luggage direct people. Then there may be

no way to track it but the cruise line should be able to find the luggage.

Is Luggage Direct vs Luggage Express just a difference in semantics, or is it two different companies?

Roy

Carnival calls it Luggage Express but the company is Airportbags.com on the internet.

When it works it is great but if anything goes wrong, like the company not putting the actual airline tag on your luggage, you can probably kiss your luggage goodbye.

We have used this service on HAL as well as the equivalent on NCL in Hawaii and did not have had any problems. Not sure how different Carnival may handle the logistics.

IIRC on the ship they print your boarding passes and give you the lugagge tags that you have to put on your bags before putting them out; I don't think the cruise line adds the luggage tags.

I also think the luggage tag numbers should be on the boarding pass - unfortunatley I just threw out my NCL boarding passes from our Hawaii cruise a few days ago so I can't confirm that.

Luggage can get lost somewhere between the last place you had it and where you expect it to show up. I am not sure how your situation is much different from what could also happen if you dropped it off at the airport yourself.

We have priority handling with our frequent flier program and Mrs. K's advanced standing so we've never been tempted to use the service but have wondered about exactly what happened to the OP. Always has made me a bit nervous to leave the terminal without our bags in our control. Understand that it's a great service for some folks but not for us.

Huge difference. When checking luggage in with an airline one has a claim ticket that proves that the airline handled (and lost) the luggage. When one uses a secondary convenience service you have no proof of which company lost the luggage. You can be sure that the airline and the luggage handling company will be blaming each other.

igraf

Luggage can get lost somewhere between the last place you had it and where you expect it to show up. I am not sure how your situation is much different from what could also happen if you dropped it off at the airport yourself.

I just came from from sailing on Carnival Valor Sunday and used their Luggage Express program (known as Airport Bags Plus on the Internet). I have used the program before and when it works it is great, when it doesn't it is an absolute disaster.

As you can guess, my experience this time was not a good one. When I arrived in OKC, sans luggage, the lady at Continental baggage claimed checked their records and they did not show that I had any luggage checked in (I saw the screen myself). I filed a notice of lost luggage with Continental.

I called Carnival the next morning and Guest Serivces referred me to the Luggage Express people (not a toll free call by the way). They were to email their Miami Port agent to find out what happened and call me back. The second call went the same way. A total of four calls later (now 48 hours after I got off of the ship, they finally heard from their port guy. He does not show that a airport tag was printed off and put on my luggage. Now they are trying to blame Carnival. They tell me to let Continental find it (how they will without them putting a Continental check in tag on the luggage I don't know).

I have called everyone I can think of: Carnival Guest Service, Continental, Luggage Express and even emailed the Miami Airport Lost and Found the the Corporate HQ for Luggage Express. The last lady that I talked to at Continental is trying to call someone she knows at Carnival to get a phone number for the pier (at least she is trying to help).

It dawned on me (too late) that when you participate in this program you are doing it on a wing and a prayer that things will work out. I have found out (again too late) that when it does not work out it is an absolute nightmare. Unlike when you check your luggage in by yourself at the airline where you get a checked bag sticker with identifying info, you don't get the same comfort level with Luggage Expree. The only proof I have that I participated in the program is that I have the envelope that my valet sticker and bording passes came it, I kept the boarding passes and printed new ones at the airport when I changed my seat assignment, and the charge on my sign and sail card.

If you do choose to participate in the program I would seriously recommend that you still go to the check in counter of your airline and ask them to confirm that your luggage has actually been checked in. I can tell you that I will never use the program again.

First of all, I hope you get your luggage back, and soon. I did read the thread on the Carnival board where you asked, who is to blame, the airline, Carnival or Luggage Express. As other posters have said, I also believe it starts with the cruise line. I think you said there were no airline tags to affix to your luggage. When we used the service, we received the Southwest airline tags to put on our luggage.

Because there is no record of the luggage, how do you know for SURE that Luggage Express received these pieces? I also agree with a poster on the

the Carnival board that it may not be wise to "slam" as they put it, Luggage Direct (Express) on all the boards until you are sure they are they are the problem.

Again, please let us know on this board any new developments, and good luck with securing your luggage.

I'm confused. I think I just read the exact same post only Celebrity was the cruise line, not Carnival. Also saw the same post in the RCI forum. What gives? If the problem is with Carnival why not post there?

I think the goal was to report a problem with the company that provides the service not Carnival. If the same company services a number of cruise lines then it makes sense to post it a number of places.

All I know, is I have been using this service aboard HAL's ships, and NCL as well since 2000, and never have had an issue. I have my boarding passes, luggage tags, I run the bags through customs, drop it off at the truck, and relax.:) I have had a bag arrive on a later flight and had it delivered to my house, and I have also had luggage arrive at my home airport on a earlier flight than the one I was on, but they always made it, and that's something like 15 times. I'm pretty confident in the service, and plan on using it on my next venture aboard the Zuiderdam.;)

The one time we tried using the service the truck didn't show up to haul the luggage to the airport. It wasn't a problem getting our luggage and handling it as well normally would, the problem came when trying to get a refund. HAL wouldn't issue a refund because it's ran by an outside company. It was difficult getting in touch with the company, but we finally did and got a refund about a month later. I've been leary of using the service ever since.

To the original poster, I hope your situation turns outs well for you.

Unfortunately it sounds like the problem was in not getting luggage tags delivered to the cabin. Without luggage tags to direct the bag to the airport, the bag would presumably have been taken down to baggage claim at the pier, where it would have gone unclaimed.

Presumably the bag should be located in the Carnival lost and found.

If they are not found - that is matched up to the OP - they will end up being sold by the pound to the Unclaimed Luggage Store in Scotsboro, Alabama. Let's hope someone can find them somewhere before they go there. I'm betting Carnival has them floating around somewhere.

PS - been there, no great bargains even though everything is "used"

We used Luggage Express this Aug. for the first time. Were on Carnival Spirit in Alaska. It worked perfectly!! When we got to San Diego ours was the first luggage off the carrosel. (spelling? ) The tags were in our room the night before. We were told over and over NOT to use regular luggage tags if they were delivered to our cabin by mistake. Hope you find your things.

I'm confused. I think I just read the exact same post only Celebrity was the cruise line, not Carnival. Also saw the same post in the RCI forum. What gives? If the problem is with Carnival why not post there?

I was able to find the name of the company behind Luggage Express and find out which cruise line they listed as working with for luggage express types of programs. Then I poste my warning on each of the listed cruise lines. If you saw my post on a cruise line section, that cruise line was listed on the company's website. It is just a cautionary tale of what can happen when things go wrong. It can work great most of the time but when things go wrong it DOES become a nightmare to deal with. It is a use it at your own risk program.

It sounds like the OP didn't put any type of luggage tags on their bags - so the Luggage Direct people never received them. If they didn't receive the luggage tags along with their boarding passes, it's up to them to find out why and have them re-printed.

I had my own luggage tags on my bag. Carnival issues a scanable tag (which I personally put on the bag). The company is supposed to scan the tag to get it into their computer system and then print out the airline luggage tag. This did not occur. Unfortunatley, Carnival does not hand out the actual airline luggage tag. If the, in this case, Luggage Express people do not handle the luggage per the policy there is NO WAY to track your luggage and you deal with 3 entities, the cruise line, the luggage company, and your airline. Let me tell you it is not a fun experience. In my case I can just about kiss my luggage good bye. The claim that I will end up filing will be more than $1,000 easily. The only good news is that I always checked two suitcases in the past and I downsized to one this time.

I was able to find the name of the company behind Luggage Express and find out which cruise line they listed as working with for luggage express types of programs. Then I poste my warning on each of the listed cruise lines. If you saw my post on a cruise line section, that cruise line was listed on the company's website. It is just a cautionary tale of what can happen when things go wrong. It can work great most of the time but when things go wrong it DOES become a nightmare to deal with. It is a use it at your own risk program.

Doesn't your travel insurance cover lost luggage? We had a similar problem with a code share flight where neither airline wanted to take responsibility for having lost one of our bags. We called out travel insurance company and they took over from there. We just faxed them a copy showing that we had paid our luggage fee and and copy of our complaint form from the airline. I don't know what they did but we had our bag back in less than week.

......I called Carnival the next morning and Guest Serivces referred me to the Luggage Express people (not a toll free call by the way). They were to email their Miami Port agent to find out what happened and call me back. The second call went the same way. A total of four calls later (now 48 hours after I got off of the ship, they finally heard from their port guy. He does not show that a airport tag was printed off and put on my luggage. Now they are trying to blame Carnival. They tell me to let Continental find it (how they will without them putting a Continental check in tag on the luggage I don't know).

I have called everyone I can think of: Carnival Guest Service, Continental, Luggage Express and even emailed the Miami Airport Lost and Found the the Corporate HQ for Luggage Express. The last lady that I talked to at Continental is trying to call someone she knows at Carnival to get a phone number for the pier (at least she is trying to help)......

......The only proof I have that I participated in the program is that I have the envelope that my valet sticker and bording passes came it, I kept the boarding passes and printed new ones at the airport when I changed my seat assignment, and the charge on my sign and sail card.

Crystal - 1. Use your cell phone to make your calls for 2 reasons. You will always have a record of when you made your calls. If you need that info later, you can always check your phone records on-line or have your carrier send you a detail. And there are no long-distance charges when you use a cell phone. :)

2. I'm trying to follow your posts & am not quite sure I'm understanding it all. We are just home from Noordam (11-11-11 in Ft. Lauderdale) & had a great experience using Luggage Direct.

When it works it is great but if anything goes wrong, like the company not putting the actual airline tag on your luggage, you can probably kiss your luggage goodbye.

Yep.

It sounds like the OP didn't put any type of luggage tags on their bags - so the Luggage Direct people never received them. If they didn't receive the luggage tags along with their boarding passes, it's up to them to find out why and have them re-printed.

I think I get it now - in Crystal's last post (I couldn't re-quote it) she indicates she had her own personal luggage tag & Carnival's scannable tag. She says Luggage Direct is supposed to scan Carnival's tag & then print the airline tag. Carnival does not issue the airline tag. Just my opinion, but this system is just begging for SNAFUs.

On HAL, we were issued the airline tags & the numbers were printed on our boarding passes. When we put the bags out in the hallway at midnight, they were tagged for the airlines & ready to go. If the bags had been a no-show at Baltimore, we would have had some recourse because we have the bag numbers so they can be traced. Poor Crystal does not have this. :(

I think that if I had read (and understood :confused:) on the Luggage Direct form that luggage tags would not be provided to us, we would not have participated.

Crystal - I found this online re: the Port of Miami.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/customer_service.asp

Go down the left-hand side of the page to the orange-barred Customer Service section. Click on "Contact Us." You'll get all kinds of phone numbers & e-mail addys. I think I would start with the Sr. Human Resources/Customer Service Manager. There's also another phone number on the FAQ page.

My guess, & that's all it is, is that since an airline tag was never issued, & you didn't pick up your luggage, is that it was left sitting in the terminal. Now it's probably in a room somewhere with hundreds of other unclaimed bags. Best wishes to you. Please let us know how it turns out. :)

Archived