If I want to buy alcohol in port to bring back home?

gavagai

I am thinking of travelling with MSC Cruises, and they have this policy that you cannot bring any alcohol to consume on the ship. But what if I want to buy a few bottles of wine or something not to consume on the ship but to bring home? In their rules it says they can confiscate any alcohol I bring aboard. I would be happy for them to store it for me until I get home, but not take it! What to do?

that rule is for bringing it onboard to drink during the trip - when you go to a port and re board the ship, they will or atleast supposed to take it. It gets returned to you at the end of the cruise "night before debarkation"

no worries

I am thinking of travelling with MSC Cruises, and they have this policy that you cannot bring any alcohol to consume on the ship. But what if I want to buy a few bottles of wine or something not to consume on the ship but to bring home? In their rules it says they can confiscate any alcohol I bring aboard. I would be happy for them to store it for me until I get home, but not take it! What to do?

When you board the ship after having been in port all day, you'll turn over your alcohol to the staff. They have a special table set aside for this very purpose. They will take your name/cabin number and store it for you, and it will be returned to you on the last night before disembarkation. Enjoy!

Perfect! Thank you!

If you fly home, and are a US citizen, remember you can't carry the bottles in your carry on. It must be in your checked luggage. And, again, if you're a US Citizen you are limited on how much liquor you can bring back to the US, without having to pay Customs fees.

If you fly home, and are a US citizen, remember you can't carry the bottles in your carry on. It must be in your checked luggage. And, again, if you're a US Citizen you are limited on how much liquor you can bring back to the US, without having to pay Customs fees.

I am not a U.S. citizen and I am not flying home, so that won't be a problem. :D But good thing to point out. I am from Sweden, travelling within the European Union, so customs won't be a problem. We will go by train from Sweden to Hamburg, Germany, and then on the ship from there... hopefully. I have sent a request to a travelling agency and will hopefully get a confirmation soon that the kind of cabin we want is still available. Excited to go on my first real cruise! :)

Call my crazy, but I once bought an expensive bottle of alcohol that I did not what them to take from me. I got through the ex-ray and they asked if I had alcohol. I told them it was a crystal vase. They didn't check and let me go. I didn't drink it on board; I safely brought it home.

I've had similar happen to me. We went to our first port I have a backpack on my wheelchair get up the gangway the crew that pushed me up the gangway raced me past the screener. After he let go I went back to the screener to A) put my card in the machine to verify I am back onboard and B) ask if they wanted to check my bag. The guy asked if I had any alcohol (which I didn't) he said its ok and pointed me to the elevator.

At the 2nd port stop same thing pushed past and had to go back this time I didn't even offer my bag and it wasn't the same person at the machine, no questions asked. ( did have alcohol for others)

Archived