Rome Review - How we covered all of Rome in a day on our own

VirtualRain

Really? The OP took some serious time & effort to post this. While attempting to see it "all" in a day might not suit everyone, for some, it's their one & only chance in Rome. I'm sure there are quite a few folks that will visit this board, & the Op's nicely detailed instructions, who are planning a once in a lifetime trip.

On our first Europe trip we suffered greatly from what I fondly call IMNBHA syndrome ( I may never be here again)... we may have overdone it that first time, but I would not change a thing:)

So, thanks again to the OP, & btw, fantastic photos, I wish I had bought a nicer camera before our last trip... but I'm sure enjoying your pictures!:)

Ditto. The schedule makes my feet hurt just reading it, but it's still good information for someone who may even just want to take some of it and take more time in certain places. It's like reading a recipe. I may want to use a given recipe for a starting point and then adapt it to my own tastes. Thanks to the OP for taking the time to offer it!

Thanks to many for the kind words, it is indeed a bit of effort to post this kind of info, but I spent many more hours absorbing others info on here so it's the least I can do to give back to this great community.

I also dont expect this kinda DIY tour is for everyone and as others have said, easy to modify to your own liking.

I should point out that it's not as aggressive as it may sound. It certainly wasn't rushed. I would describe it as a fairly leisurely pace that allowed plenty of photos (and as you've noticed, I'm not a snap shot type), people watching, treats along the way (like gelato), shopping, and resting at times (side walk cafes). There was never a point where we wished we could linger a lot longer or felt pressed for time.

Nice detailed review of DIY and very nice pictures. See you snuck out and took a few pictures where you weren't supposed to, I did too!

Sounds like you got a lot for a little spending only 42 Euros.

No question we spent more about 150 euros more, but saw more too. Everyone must make choices and Rome is one of the hardest cities to decide whether to DIY or by tour/private car.

Edited by chipmaster

• 2 weeks later...

On our cruise earlier this month, my daughter was a surprise last-minute guest. DH and I have spent a lot of time in Rome, but she has never been there, so we decided to show her as much as possible.

We took the train/metro and popped out right at the Colosseum. Walked along past the Arch of Constantine, the Forum, Trajan's Market, etc. Stopped for cappuccino and amaretto. Walked to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and the Trevi Fountain. Walked over to the Spanish Steps and had lunch at our favorite restaurant there. Took a cab to the Vatican (10 euros) and went through the security line which took 5 minutes. Toured the basilica, went into the post office, bought a few souvies. Walked to the San Pietro train station stopping for another coffee. Took the 3:59 train back to Civitavecchia. Stopped for wine and were back on the ship an hour before sailing. I broke my foot in September but had no trouble with this itinerary.

Total cost: 9 euros/pp plus lunch and coffees. We didn't see anything in depth, but we felt like we gave her a great overview of the main sites and an appetite to come back and spend some real time there.

Indeed... it is a Canon 7D and the lens that's on my camera most of the time is the Canon 17-55 f2.8 EFS IS lens. However, as you noted, in Rome, I also took along my Canon 10-22 ultra wide angle which came in handy for capturing many of the shots I posted.

Yeah, I only could guess at the length of time one would spend in the line for the Basilica... as you can see from my picture from the Cupola, it wrapped all the way around St. Peter's square. But I have to agree, if it moves quickly, and you otherwise have no interest in the museum, then my advice is off the mark.

Yeah, I certainly use the term "all of Rome" loosely, but it does cover most of the landmarks and sights that first time visitors to Rome would put on their to-do list. And of course, I agree that you don't see anything in depth, but that's almost the nature of cruising... visit a port each day and at best get a cursory experience to determine if it warrants going back to spend more time.

Rome is certainly one such city. We will be going back and will not go back when there are 5 ships and 15,000 tourists in town. That's the worst way to see Rome, really, whether you try to cover a lot of ground or just one or two things.

In fact, on a busy port day, I feel you're better off trying to see a lot of different things to get an overall feel and then come back when it's not so busy or in the off season to really explore what interests you most in more depth. For example, I'm not really a museum guy, but the Vatican Museum is amazing, yet when it's wall-to-wall people and you're being herded like cattle through there, it's no fun whether you choose to spend all day in there or just 1 hour. Frankly, on the day we were there, all we wanted to do was get out of there, and come back some other time when there were no crowds. But had we not experienced it briefly, we'd have no idea whether it was something we really wanted to explore further or not.

So I absolutely agree with you about wanting to see some thiings with more time, but this is a cruise forum where most people have a day to cover a lot of ground and not really a forum for how to spend a week in Rome - which is what would be required to do it right.

For the average cruiser, I suspect my advice and recommendations are probably very helpful... it was for me which is why I chose to share it in compiled form ;)

I do not disagree with anything you are saying except that I doubt whether, these days, there is a time when Rome is free of crowds of tourists. Our first visit was in 1977 and our second in 1995, in winter and we saw the place comfortably. The crowds in September this year were dreadful and I couldn't wait to leave. I can see it getting more and more crowded as the quickly growing Asian middle classes increase their presence, and like us Australians , a good number of them travel in times that were traditionally off-season.

Chi-VEET-ah-VEHK-ya

Really, really close, only missing the final syllable (you pronounce both the "i" and the "a").

Chi-VEET-ah-VECK-e-ah

It's hard to hear the distinction because it is generally said so quickly. The same is true for the word "grazie", many non-native speakers pronounce it as a two syllable word (Grat-zee) when it is actually three (Grat-zee-ah).

Edited by euro cruiser

Hi Virtual Rain. I really enjoyed your post and pictures. I was interested to know what camera you used and then I googled the Canon and I will have to make do with my compact next time.

Rome is fabulous and if you only have a day in it, you have to concentrate on the main sites. We spent a week in Rome and barely covered any more than you did in a day. In fact, we missed a few things as we were tired walking after 3 days, due to the cobbles and not sleeping well, due to the all night traffic noise due to the cobbles and sirens. After 4 days we took the train out to the beach at Ostia. I did not realise there are great ruins at Ostia, Ostia Antica.

We stopped at Civitavecchia last October but did not travel to Rome as we felt we had done it and preferrd to relax in Civitavecchia. Nice little town as it happend. Pleasant day. Next time we will go into Rome but will make up last time's shortfall, i.e. go inside Coliseum, find baths of Caracala, maybe Villa Borghese and the newly opened excavations under St. Peter's and perhaps the catacombs. Might be tight in one day in which case we will wander from the Coliseum to the Trevi and enjoy the atmosphere and as many churches as we can. The art in the smallest of churches is breathtaking. Masterpieces just sitting or hanging there, most unnoticed by the throngs of tourists who all head for the Vatican.

thanks again. CI :D

Indeed... it is a Canon 7D and the lens that's on my camera most of the time is the Canon 17-55 f2.8 EFS IS lens. However, as you noted, in Rome, I also took along my Canon 10-22 ultra wide angle which came in handy for capturing many of the shots I posted.

Virtual - Did you have any problems bringing your camera anywhere? I am debating what camera and lenses to bring given the no bags rule in certain places, pickpockets etc.

Virtual - Did you have any problems bringing your camera anywhere? I am debating what camera and lenses to bring given the no bags rule in certain places, pickpockets etc.

I had a cross body camera bag, the size of a large purse. I went everywhere, including through security at the Vatican Museum. Absolutely no problems. But we're scheduled for the Scavi Necropolis tour this coming June so for that visit I will likely switch and take something smaller. The word is that things that pass through security at the Vatican may still be considered too large for that tour.

As for pickpockets, we all used cross body bags and paid attention. I actually used the camera bag for my purse. I noticed when we were at Trevi there were a couple of police officiers in the crowd surveying around. My guess is to discourage pickpockets. My DH was not allowed to carry his wallet in the normal back pocket area. I took care of everything in my bag.

Here's the bag I have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lowepro+-+Passport+Sling+Shoulder+Bag+for+DSLR+Cameras+-+Black/1180556.p?id=1218231018972&skuId=1180556

Edited by wantocruisemore

Just wanted to add - somebody said the line at St Peter's moves quickly. Whilst it did keep moving, it took an hour for us to reach the head of the line. And this was late October. Just thought I would say so people can take that into consideration when planning.

Just wanted to add - somebody said the line at St Peter's moves quickly. Whilst it did keep moving, it took an hour for us to reach the head of the line. And this was late October. Just thought I would say so people can take that into consideration when planning.
This does point out the unpredictability of such things and the need to be flexible while traveling. I waited less than ten minutes on a Saturday in mid-October this year ... it's just impossible to predict what you will find on any given day.

No, I didn't have any problems.

When I'm in Joe Tourist mode, I like to travel light so this is what I used on this trip...

Sunsniper Pro Strap (with steel cable embedded in the strap)

36812ed6ca.jpg

202ad788ab.jpg

When I need to take a second lens such as I did on this day, I use one of these that's attached to my belt...

lowpro_lens_case_11x11-top_open-101767.jpg

All these photos are beautiful! What kind of camera did you use? Thanks for posting these!

Glad you like them! As mentioned above, it's a Canon 7D with either a 17-55 f2.8 EFS Zoom lens or my 10-22mm Ultra Wide Angle

Edited by VirtualRain

I had a cross body camera bag, the size of a large purse. I went everywhere, including through security at the Vatican Museum. Absolutely no problems. But we're scheduled for the Scavi Necropolis tour this coming June so for that visit I will likely switch and take something smaller. The word is that things that pass through security at the Vatican may still be considered too large for that tour.

As for pickpockets, we all used cross body bags and paid attention. I actually used the camera bag for my purse. I noticed when we were at Trevi there were a couple of police officiers in the crowd surveying around. My guess is to discourage pickpockets. My DH was not allowed to carry his wallet in the normal back pocket area. I took care of everything in my bag.

Here's the bag I have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lowepro+-+Passport+Sling+Shoulder+Bag+for+DSLR+Cameras+-+Black/1180556.p?id=1218231018972&skuId=1180556

Thanks for the link! I've never seen a camera/purse bag like this and it appears it may fit both my needs.

Thanks for the link! I've never seen a camera/purse bag like this and it appears it may fit both my needs.

It was really comfortable too. I used it everywhere. A few of the reviews talk about it not being comfortable on the shoulder but I always used it cross-body. I can see where carrying all the time on your shoulder might get old. Here is a photo below of the bag so you can see the size. I'm 5'4" so not tall.

ry%3D400

It's really the perfect size to carry everything. The only thing I'm worried about in the upcoming trip is the Vatican Scavi Necropolis tour.

This does point out the unpredictability of such things and the need to be flexible while traveling. I waited less than ten minutes on a Saturday in mid-October this year ... it's just impossible to predict what you will find on any given day.

yep- same for us- it looked really long but it took about 20 minutes. Sat at noon in early november.

Thanks for all the fantastic information on your day in Rome. Can you help us decide what to do. We are visiting Rome in May on our own whilst on Liberty and then we are visiting Rome in July with our two girls aged 12 and 10 on Oceana. We would like to visit attractions/tourist spots that our kids will not be interested in during our visit in May and in July visit attractions with our girls. We do not want long days and feel taking the train would be our best option so we can please ourselves when we wish to return to the ship. In July I would imagine lines for things will be long and it will be very hot. Kids get bored easily so would like to tailor this visit around them. I know they would like to see the coliseum and the trevi fountain any other suggestions would be good. I thought they might enjoy the hop on hop off bus.

I know they would like to see the coliseum and the trevi fountain any other suggestions would be good. I thought they might enjoy the hop on hop off bus.

On a port day I would head directly to the Colosseum in the morning and let the day unfold from there. You can buy your tickets for the Colosseum that morning, or even purchase them a few months in advance when you are there in May (they are only activated when first used) if you want to save time. However, my experience buying them in the middle of July on a cruise ship stop was no line at all, at the Palatine ticket office. We took the train from Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense, where we transfered to the metro. We got off the metro at Circo Massimo and walked from there to the Palatine ticket office, where we walked right up and bought tickets. From there to the Colosseum was only a few minutes on foot.

I think the HOHO bus is a spectacularly bad idea for a port day, unless you have severe mobility issues/financial constraints and no other way to get around. The price of four tickets for the HOHO bus will buy several cab rides, probably more than you will need to get to the places you want to see with the kids.

No, I didn't have any problems.

When I'm in Joe Tourist mode, I like to travel light so this is what I used on this trip...

Sunsniper Pro Strap (with steel cable embedded in the strap)

36812ed6ca.jpg

202ad788ab.jpg

When I need to take a second lens such as I did on this day, I use one of these that's attached to my belt...

Wow, looking good there, VirtualRain! ;)

Thanks for posting all this information.. you have inspired me that we can DIY, see much of what we want to see, and save a ton of cash. Map, photos, and description all tremendously helpful. Thanks again!

Becky

On a port day I would head directly to the Colosseum in the morning and let the day unfold from there. You can buy your tickets for the Colosseum that morning, or even purchase them a few months in advance when you are there in May (they are only activated when first used) if you want to save time. However, my experience buying them in the middle of July on a cruise ship stop was no line at all, at the Palatine ticket office. We took the train from Civitavecchia to Roma Ostiense, where we transfered to the metro. We got off the metro at Circo Massimo and walked from there to the Palatine ticket office, where we walked right up and bought tickets. From there to the Colosseum was only a few minutes on foot.

I think the HOHO bus is a spectacularly bad idea for a port day, unless you have severe mobility issues/financial constraints and no other way to get around. The price of four tickets for the HOHO bus will buy several cab rides, probably more than you will need to get to the places you want to see with the kids.

Yes, we were able to walk almost everywhere, and a cab ride to the Vatican from the Spanish Steps was less than 10 euros. Don't waste your money on the Hoho.

Yes, we were able to walk almost everywhere, and a cab ride to the Vatican from the Spanish Steps was less than 10 euros. Don't waste your money on the Hoho.

I wouldn't spend money on taxi's either... your BIRG ticket entitles you to use of the Metro and there are stations conveniently located near the Vatican and Spanish Steps among many other places.

Thanks for all the fantastic information on your day in Rome. Can you help us decide what to do. We are visiting Rome in May on our own whilst on Liberty and then we are visiting Rome in July with our two girls aged 12 and 10 on Oceana. We would like to visit attractions/tourist spots that our kids will not be interested in during our visit in May and in July visit attractions with our girls. We do not want long days and feel taking the train would be our best option so we can please ourselves when we wish to return to the ship. In July I would imagine lines for things will be long and it will be very hot. Kids get bored easily so would like to tailor this visit around them. I know they would like to see the coliseum and the trevi fountain any other suggestions would be good. I thought they might enjoy the hop on hop off bus.

I can't really suggest what you vs. your girls may or may not be interested in. I would look at my itinerary and modify to suit your tastes either eliminating sights or adding them as you see fit or splitting the set into two different trips. However, most of the advice on getting into Rome, getting around Rome, and the order of taking in the sights should still be highly relevant even for a modified sight-seeing itinerary. And of course, there are good threads here in this forum loaded with other sights to see so I encourage you to check those out as well.

Wow, looking good there, VirtualRain!

Thanks for posting all this information.. you have inspired me that we can DIY, see much of what we want to see, and save a ton of cash. Map, photos, and description all tremendously helpful. Thanks again!

Becky

Thanks, but I should have been clear (or perhaps said nothing more) but the good looking dude in those photos is not me :)

Edited by VirtualRain

What an awesome resource VirtualRain...the photos are beautiful.

Just wanted to mention one thing for those trying to squeeze every possible moment out of a day in Rome. I had heard that this wasn't a feasible option in Civitavecchia, but I'm here to tell you that I've done it. :)

We were able to disembark at 6:05am or so not too long ago and the little group of people that walked off at the same time were all trying to meet the 6:55 train. A few shuttle busses were sitting idle not too far from our berth, but there were no staff members staging them for boarding, etc. We asked one of the Princess employees whether it was feasible to walk out of the pier from our location instead of waiting for the shuttles to fill. She said it was doable and about 5-10 minutes walk...and then pointed us in the direction we needed to head, and off we went. None of the busses passed us as we walked, so we definitely beat them to the exit.

So...making a quick decision to bypass the shuttle bus might be an option that can save you time you'd otherwise spend cooling your heels waiting an unknown amount of time for the bus to depart.

BTW, we'd purchased tickets for (I believe...) 10:30am for the Vatican Museums, and we arrived much, much earlier. We asked if we could use the tickets early and they let us enter at the time we arrived.