Conk not conch!

crusinpsychRN

Just to add nothing of value to this ridiculous thread, there is an attraction in Grand Turk named Conch World. There, they have performing conch. I have no idea what the performing conch do, because I was too cheap to pay to see it. I did however, pay for the conch that weren't good enough to be in the show. They were yummy!

DSC_7045.JPG

DSC_7055.JPG

The best conch I ever had was made by a diver on the dock in Nassau....our tour guide stopped at a little produce market and bought an orange, a lime, a red onion and a habanero pepper.

We went over to the diver who had just pulled the conch out of the sea and watched him remove it from the shell, and then prepare ceviche......he chopped all the produce up very finely and even useing the whole pepper it was still mild and very yummy..........washed it down with a Kalik beer...........

The best conch I ever had was made by a diver on the dock in Nassau....our tour guide stopped at a little produce market and bought an orange, a lime, a red onion and a habanero pepper.

We went over to the diver who had just pulled the conch out of the sea and watched him remove it from the shell, and then prepare ceviche......he chopped all the produce up very finely and even useing the whole pepper it was still mild and very yummy..........washed it down with a Kalik beer...........

My idea of heaven. (especially the Kalik part!)

Growing up in Tampa and the Keys (Dad's family came from Key West) I can tell you that if anyone had pronounced it conch, few if any would have any idea what you were talking about. It was Conk and they still call it that on every island I've been to in the Caribbean.;)

How do you say it? Broosketa or brooshetta? Both acceptable, first is most accepted. I've been saying brooshetta.

Guess you would get some arguments about this subject. Broo "sketa" is the proper Italian pronunciation and it is an Italian word. However, like many things in the US the word has been Americanized which is to say that many folks say broo "shetta" because they do not know the proper pronunciation. But that is just the way things are in our country. I once watched a popular cooking show where the hostess kept talking about "Earl" during the show. When DW came back into our TV room I asked her if she knew who "Earl" was. She quickly explained that "Earl" was oil. But I am sure Paula Deen would insist that "Earl" in the proper pronunciation. :)

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

conch fritters.. mmmmmmmmmmmmm if you haven't had them - DEMAND THEM!!

We've been known to head down to Alabama Jack's in Key Largo just to get a batch before we sail. Whet our appetite for what's to come in the caribbean. Decent little place downtown in Grand Turk just opposite the multi-colored octagonal vendor stands and another (Cameo restaurant?) in Nassau.

And if you have occasion to be in SW florida, hit Lazy Flamingo for good fritters AND pretty darn good conch chowder.

• 1 year later...
It's ship, not boat.

It's steward, not stewart.

It's muster, not mustard.

It's their, not there.

It's too, not to.

It's Moet et Chandon, not Moway et Chandon.

It's Dom Perignon, not Don Perignon.

Ok, so I'm going to ship my conch to the boat and ask Steward the Stewart to bring muster to the mustard drill. Their we will have some of there champagne. and drink Moway et Chandon and Don Perignon with Moet, Chandon, and Dom. :p

Archived