Cruise Critic Community
crusinpsychRN

Conk not conch!

Just out of curiousity (and a directly related to Carnival question), is conch served on the Carnival ships that have the fish and chips?

Just to add nothing of value to this ridiculous thread, there is an attraction in Grand Turk named Conch World. There, they have performing conch. I have no idea what the performing conch do, because I was too cheap to pay to see it. I did however, pay for the conch that weren't good enough to be in the show. They were yummy!

DSC_7045.JPG

DSC_7055.JPG

Edited by cyntil8ing

The best conch I ever had was made by a diver on the dock in Nassau....our tour guide stopped at a little produce market and bought an orange, a lime, a red onion and a habanero pepper.

We went over to the diver who had just pulled the conch out of the sea and watched him remove it from the shell, and then prepare ceviche......he chopped all the produce up very finely and even useing the whole pepper it was still mild and very yummy..........washed it down with a Kalik beer...........

i heard somewhere that carnival was substituting conch fritters for the 'gator. There carnival and conch in the same sentence! Even introduced 'gator and no mention of shrimp......ah shoot!

The best conch I ever had was made by a diver on the dock in Nassau....our tour guide stopped at a little produce market and bought an orange, a lime, a red onion and a habanero pepper.

We went over to the diver who had just pulled the conch out of the sea and watched him remove it from the shell, and then prepare ceviche......he chopped all the produce up very finely and even useing the whole pepper it was still mild and very yummy..........washed it down with a Kalik beer...........

My idea of heaven. (especially the Kalik part!)

Bruschetta is one that never fails to annoy me.

Just about every server in the States says "brooshetta". :rolleyes:

How do you say it? Broosketa or brooshetta? Both acceptable, first is most accepted. I've been saying brooshetta.

Sheesh, some people seem to have some long toes. Chill out, have some conch...or just don't open a thread.

still don't get this.

Growing up in Tampa and the Keys (Dad's family came from Key West) I can tell you that if anyone had pronounced it conch, few if any would have any idea what you were talking about. It was Conk and they still call it that on every island I've been to in the Caribbean.;)

still don't get this.

Long toes are easily stepped on. A post, which has been deleted, complained this was a stupid thread and didn't belong on the board.

Long toes are easily stepped on. A post, which has been deleted, complained this was a stupid thread and didn't belong on the board.

luckily, it has been moved where it belongs.

How do you say it? Broosketa or brooshetta? Both acceptable, first is most accepted. I've been saying brooshetta.

Guess you would get some arguments about this subject. Broo "sketa" is the proper Italian pronunciation and it is an Italian word. However, like many things in the US the word has been Americanized which is to say that many folks say broo "shetta" because they do not know the proper pronunciation. But that is just the way things are in our country. I once watched a popular cooking show where the hostess kept talking about "Earl" during the show. When DW came back into our TV room I asked her if she knew who "Earl" was. She quickly explained that "Earl" was oil. But I am sure Paula Deen would insist that "Earl" in the proper pronunciation. :)

Hank

Just to make this more cruise related... here's some curried conch I had in St. Kitts in February while on my southern caribbean cruise.

6365509751_d01e307997_z.jpg

It's ship, not boat.

It's steward, not stewart.

It's muster, not mustard.

It's their, not there.

It's too, not to.

It's Moet et Chandon, not Moway et Chandon.

It's Dom Perignon, not Don Perignon.

conch fritters in the little cafe on the dockside in Belize--yum!:D (The Belizian Boil-up there was durn good too!)

Just saw a Top Chef episode where they were taken to a deserted island and have to dive for conch. One of the chefs called it "conch"!!!:eek:

conch fritters.. mmmmmmmmmmmmm if you haven't had them - DEMAND THEM!!

We've been known to head down to Alabama Jack's in Key Largo just to get a batch before we sail. Whet our appetite for what's to come in the caribbean. Decent little place downtown in Grand Turk just opposite the multi-colored octagonal vendor stands and another (Cameo restaurant?) in Nassau.

And if you have occasion to be in SW florida, hit Lazy Flamingo for good fritters AND pretty darn good conch chowder.

It's ship, not boat.

It's steward, not stewart.

It's muster, not mustard.

It's their, not there.

It's too, not to.

It's Moet et Chandon, not Moway et Chandon.

It's Dom Perignon, not Don Perignon.

Ok, so I'm going to ship my conch to the boat and ask Steward the Stewart to bring muster to the mustard drill. Their we will have some of there champagne. and drink Moway et Chandon and Don Perignon with Moet, Chandon, and Dom. :p