Why P&O AUS is so popular

bazzaw

There is no doubt that P&O AUS are popular here in Australia. There are reasons for this - some historical. They have been around here for a long time - many have been on their ships and have fond memories. Fond even - of ships like Pacific Sky which probably would not stack up at all well against current ships .

They have also been successful, because they have indeed had the market almost all to themselves. This has its good side and its bad side. Good - because the situation allowed them to build a business up in quite a small market - bad because it can lead to complacency.

However - I believe that the most significant reason for their popularity is that they have recognised the Aussie cruising market for what it is - and have catered for that market. Markets are funny things - because they can be fickle and disjointed. Consider (say) a fruit and vegetable market here in Australia - and then look at one elsewhere, say in Spain. Although they may look similar - you will see an overall "difference" which reflects the difference between the Aussie consumers "average" requirements for F&V and the Spanish consumers requirements. To run a successful F&V store here in Australia, you must satisfy the requirements of the "average" Aussie. And this is what P&O AUS has done (I believe brilliantly).

I have heard P&O AUS ships referred to as 3* - have also heard them referred to disparagingly as "floating RSL clubs". There is an element of truth to these. But think about that for a moment! Go to ANY town in Australia - and what is the most successful business in town?? The most significant, the most attended?? Answer - the RSL clubs ( or Bowling club, or Service club, etc) . Are these establishments 5* - no! Are these establishments formal? - no! Do they serve Haute Cuisine? - no! Are they VERY casual and relaxed ? - yes!

Not EVERYONE in Australia wants to eat potatoes, pumpkins and beans/peas all the time and prefer Asian vegies or some other exquisite delicacy and are prepared to pay for it -- but most just want their potatoes, and beans/peas. That is why the F&V markets make sure they have plenty of those onhand at all times :D In the same way, not EVERYONE wants to cruise exclusively with P&O AUS - obviously some will pay the extra for 5* and International flights - and are prepeared to buy and wear the required Tuxedos :D - but MOST Aussies don't. It is this MAJORITY who P&O AUS have been so successful selling to - don't knock that, if you don't like it, - you should be so fortunate to own a business as successful!!!!

P&O advertise and market their product much, much better than any other line.

For the average Australian who is not a 'cruise buff' like most of us on here, the only cruise line they have ever heard of is P&O. I have NEVER seen a TV ad for Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity etc.... You walk past travel agents a generally they are advertising P & O cruises along with those European River Cruises. I have seen a couple of agents with small Royal Caribbean or Princess ad's but not many.

Additionally, I think P&O have another advantage over the American lines. Their ships are in Australian Dollars. I imagine the US$ thing may put off a lot of people as not everyone understands or wants to deal/take a risk with the unknown fluctuation of the dollar.

I love what P&O have on offer. I know some people on this forum would look down on me for that, but so be it. I know there are bigger and flashier ships out there, and I have every intention of trying them one day, but for now I'm quite happy working my way through the P&O Aus fleet. I guess I'm not as high maintainence as some people. Some people can go on the newest or biggest ships in the world and still not be happy, but a cruise (any holiday, in fact) is what you make of it.

I think we all know prices for cruising here in Australia are never going to be as competitive as somewhere like the U.S. but P&O still offer a great value holiday (especially if you can hold off on booking). I've got two more P&O ships to go before I look at the (supposedly) "bigger and better" ships. And I have no doubt in my mind that I'll enjoy each and every one of those P&O ships and cruises. :)

Excellent summary, Barry. :) These are my feelings on cruising - just mine - which might also explains why I am happy to cruise with P&O and Princess Aus. I fell in love with ships and the sea as a child when my family moved to NZ and also cruised on old 'tubs' (as they would be called nowadays) the Strathmore, Himalaya and Flavia. I loved EVERY minute of those voyages - the romance of being at sea, the feeling of being out of the everyday world, the relaxed atmosphere...etc. There was not much entertainment, but the days were filled easily...with talking to people, reading and eating!! :rolleyes:

I have captured some of that feeling on my recent cruises - I enjoyed the shows and some of the other entertainment, meals, and of course, I have always been lucky to have had happy, friendly staff looking after me. Cabins spotless, beds comfortable etc. Can't complain about that.

I am not an RSL person (no offence intended to those who enjoy them - we do go there for cheap, quick meals), rather I feel a bit 'different' :rolleyes: because my interests are baroque music, choral singing, genealogy, history and reading. Therefore, I really have no desire to cruise on what I call a 'holiday resort' at sea - I might as well stay on land for that. (My rock-wall climbing days are over and I can only eat so much food, and I don't NEED to be amused all the time, however my sense of adventure is as sharp as ever!!!)

So...I hope this leads to the understanding that we all have our different reasons for choosing the way we cruise. We are so, so lucky to have a choice. To me, glitzy and new is not necessarily the best. (Mind you, if I won a cruise on the Oasis, I wouldn't say no.)

I say 'Happy Cruising' to everyone, no matter what ship/company you choose. :)

I feel that Barry and Sandy have both made excellent points. Thank you. :)

The same thing doesn't suit everyone (whether it be vegetables :) or cruise ships) and I certainly wouldn't make negative comments about anyone who chooses something other than what I like or about their particular choice. :)

As far as cruise ships are concerned, I am happy to go on virtually anything that floats. :D

I would say they are popular because of the marketing because a lot of TA's only push them, and have huge marketing in their stores for P&O. Obviously the TA's make good commissions selling their product.

If you walk into a TA they try and push them, and don't mention the other lines.

A lot of people don't realise there is other lines on offer.

But now with more competition entering the market and more marketing in the media eg newspapers, the general public will know that more options are available.

Competition is a good thing, keeps them honest and keeps the prices down which is a good thing.

I would say they are popular because of the marketing because a lot of TA's only push them, and have huge marketing in their stores for P&O. Obviously the TA's make good commissions selling their product.

If you walk into a TA they try and push them, and don't mention the other lines.

A lot of people don't realise there is other lines on offer.

But now with more competition entering the market and more marketing in the media eg newspapers, the general public will know that more options are available.

Competition is a good thing, keeps them honest and keeps the prices down which is a good thing.

Maybe your comments about TAs is true for some passengers. We book either from the cruise brochure, looking at an ad in the paper, or by finding a good deal on the internet. We haven't ever walked into a TA to see what is available.

On thinking it through, all of our 25+ P&O cruises have been booked directly with P&O. I don't think we have booked any through TAs. On the other hand we have booked our Princess cruises (several) through TAs because we could get a better deal.

I don't know if P&O give a better rate or commission to TAs than other cruiselines, but I doubt it. Do you have any facts and figures on this?:) Maybe they have more area of the store devoted to P&O because P&O have four ships cruising out of Aust where the other lines have fewer ships. Princess now with three ships is approaching the capacity of P&O. I hope each TA talks to his/her customers to find out which line would best suit their requirements, but I suspect in lots of cases they take the quick and easy way and steer them towards a good-selling product.

I love what P&O have on offer. I know some people on this forum would look down on me for that, but so be it. I know there are bigger and flashier ships out there, and I have every intention of trying them one day, but for now I'm quite happy working my way through the P&O Aus fleet. I guess I'm not as high maintainence as some people.

Plus you may well find yourself disappointed. Some are hyping up the newer ships so much, just because they're newer and talking down the old ships that people might actually start to believe the hype.

I just came off the Radiance, and compared to the Rhapsody actually felt Rhapsody's design was better. Sure, Radiance does have a few more bells and whistles e.g. you can get a few varieties of hot dogs which you can't on Rhapsody - you can only get one... But when you look at that fact, is that actually going to improve your holiday experience? To be honest, I don't think so.

That's not the only difference of course, and that shouldn't be taken to mean there are no other improvements on the /even newer/ ships. The key point is that it doesn't mean a newer ship is necessarily better though. And some people may get disappointed if they believe the hype about 'newer=better' and then get on board and find that the overall cruise experience is about more than some bells and whistles on the ship - unless of course that's the only reason you're cruising (in which case you may still get disappointed anyway!).

I have read several times that 40% of cruise passengers are first time cruisers. P&O are very good at marketing to this potential market. They even focussed an entire campaign - the Landlubbers - on this segment. Other campaigs have linked into popular television shows. Over time cruising and P&O for many (not the contributors to this forum) have become linked. Very effective - think Cruise - think P&O. Another factor is the experience itself which at its best is friendly, informal and easy for first timers and can turn them into repeat P&O customers. There is also the local loyalty factor - something that has been clear from posts on this thread and others. Interestiong since P&O do not have a Frequent Cruiser / Loyalty Program. We would cruise P&O (AU) again, not on the Jewel - perhaps the Pearl - if the timing and itinerary fitted.

Colleen

Plus you may well find yourself disappointed. Some are hyping up the newer ships so much, just because they're newer and talking down the old ships that people might actually start to believe the hype.

Big M

That is a good point!! A lot of people's "disappointment" may be a result of their high expectations. On our very short 6 night QM2 cruise, I did come across some who were quite disappointed with QM2. I didn't go into great discussions with them about their disappointment - but I could not help but think that they had very high expectations which, for them, had not been fulfilled.

Same goes for people with an experience of the latest and the greatest - anything less that that becomes a disappointment for them. Personally, I pity both of these types!!:D

Barry

That's not the only difference of course, and that shouldn't be taken to mean there are no other improvements on the /even newer/ ships. The key point is that it doesn't mean a newer ship is necessarily better though. And some people may get disappointed if they believe the hype about 'newer=better' and then get on board and find that the overall cruise experience is about more than some bells and whistles on the ship - unless of course that's the only reason you're cruising (in which case you may still get disappointed anyway!).

Have to agree with you there. Some of these new mega-liners have a lot to offer but I would be interested to see if they are over crowded and erode the homely/close feeling you get on a smaller (but still large enough) vessels.

Myself and friends (mid 20's) cruise about once every 18months in a group and absolutely love that P&O have to offer. The atmosphere is great and in general everyone is friendly. My folks tend to prefer to travel RCCI and Princess, whilst they have had great experiences they certainly have noticed that the staff interaction is to an extent "put on" and doesn't feel entirely genuine.

I think sometimes P&O get a bad/not so favourable wrap. Yes there are more premium/luxury options in the market however, the outcome/experience of any holiday should be based upon your time and interaction with people. Obviously everyone looks forward to different things but there is nothing wrong with that.

I just came off the Radiance, and compared to the Rhapsody actually felt Rhapsody's design was better. Sure, Radiance does have a few more bells and whistles e.g. you can get a few varieties of hot dogs which you can't on Rhapsody - you can only get one... But when you look at that fact, is that actually going to improve your holiday experience? To be honest, I don't think so.

I hadn't even thought about that The_Big_M. I guess I'll never truly know until I go and experience some of these ships firsthand. ;)

Maybe your comments about TAs is true for some passengers. We book either from the cruise brochure, looking at an ad in the paper, or by finding a good deal on the internet. We haven't ever walked into a TA to see what is available.

On thinking it through, all of our 25+ P&O cruises have been booked directly with P&O. I don't think we have booked any through TAs. On the other hand we have booked our Princess cruises (several) through TAs because we could get a better deal.

I don't know if P&O give a better rate or commission to TAs than other cruiselines, but I doubt it. Do you have any facts and figures on this?:) Maybe they have more area of the store devoted to P&O because P&O have four ships cruising out of Aust where the other lines have fewer ships. Princess now with three ships is approaching the capacity of P&O. I hope each TA talks to his/her customers to find out which line would best suit their requirements, but I suspect in lots of cases they take the quick and easy way and steer them towards a good-selling product.

No I don't have any figures. I myself have found when you walk into a TA and ask about a cruise and not mentioning a cruise line, the agent will then start to talk about P&O.

But now with more and more people having access to the internet, people can be better informed of what is available.

I feel P&O had the monopoly for a long time as they were the only choice we had, saying that we have some very fond memories of the Fairstar, and really enjoyed the Pacific Dawn. P&O also know the South Pacific islands well and have some great shore tours, saying that we have been on 2 Royal Carribean ships and we relate P&O to a Pub whereas Royal Carribean (Rhapsody of the Seas) more like a hotel. I love cruising and if the price is right will go back on a P&O cruise, you can't beat them for value for money.;)

because P&O have all ways had and have ridden on the old promo P&O the fun ship. It goes back as the fair star.

to older cruises you will know what I mean.

They have kinda moved away from that in the last few years since the horrible Dianne Brimble case. Carnival Australia have made a concerted effort to move P&O away from the funship tag and more towards the family friendly affordable holiday (still fun, but a different kinda fun) tag. :)

because P&O have all ways had and have ridden on the old promo P&O the fun ship. It goes back as the fair star.

to older cruises you will know what I mean.

As Finetuneit said, P&O deliberately moved away from the "Fun ship" slogan after the death of Diane Brimble in 2002 - that is nearly ten years ago. So no, they don't ride on this slogan.

As Finetuneit said, P&O deliberately moved away from the "Fun ship" slogan after the death of Diane Brimble in 2002 - that is nearly ten years ago. So no, they don't ride on this slogan.
but it still a Legacy of those days The only way they could get P&O away from being the fun ship is change the name.

They have kinda moved away from that in the last few years since the horrible Dianne Brimble case. Carnival Australia have made a concerted effort to move P&O away from the funship tag and more towards the family friendly affordable holiday (still fun, but a different kinda fun) tag. :)
as you say carnival have effort to be away from the fun ship logo, but have a look at this link.

http://www.carnival.com/funships.aspx

as you say carnival have effort to be away from the fun ship logo, but have a look at this link.

http://www.carnival.com/funships.aspx

Yes, I'm very aware Carnival US use the funship branding. We're booked on the Spirit for it's relocation cruise from Honolulu to Sydney and had to do a lot of the "cruise personlizer" stuff via the Carnival US website. P&O Australia has distanced itself from the "funship" terminology due to the incident I mentioned. When Carnival Corp Australia brings the Spirit down under, they'll more than likely pick up the "funship" branding in-line with Carnival US. Despite P&O Australia and Carnival Spirit both being owned by Carnival Corp Australia, they're both separate entities from a marketing point of view. :)

That is a good point!! A lot of people's "disappointment" may be a result of their high expectations. On our very short 6 night QM2 cruise, I did come across some who were quite disappointed with QM2. I didn't go into great discussions with them about their disappointment - but I could not help but think that they had very high expectations which, for them, had not been fulfilled.

Same goes for people with an experience of the latest and the greatest - anything less that that becomes a disappointment for them. Personally, I pity both of these types!!:D

Barry

I'm onboard the Pacific Dawn right now, heading for New Zealand, and can report that everything is pretty good (so far). My only other cruise was on the QM2 (a transatlantic), and to be honest, the Pacific Dawn and P&O are not in the same league as Cunard and QM2.

And that's okay; I didn't expect it to be. But I'm not going to let anything stop me from enjoying my holiday and the positive aspects of the cruise.

P&O has a market and I suspect it meets the needs of it's core customer's very well. Everyone on board seems very happy.

We paid $300 per day for our 6 night cruise on QM2 (inside cabin) - we only pay around the $120 per night on Pacific Dawn (and other P&O cruises). I am not sure that my enjoyment on QM2 was 250% more than our enjoyment on Pac Dawn (every day!) -- but we did enjoy the experience.

Barry

Archived