Can you ask the purser desk to use old tip rate?

angel61

Actually no one knows who gets the $2 a day right?? Lots of speculation.

If you cant afford to tip the new amount, of course you can reduce it to whatever you want.

No one has said a word about not being able to afford the new amount but you always bring it back to that. The issue has been on 90% of the post on these boards is who the new service fee is going to.

It has been posted on John's Blog that the new break out includes new portions of the service fee going to alternatve staff-enterainment, laundry and front line including the folks from the Pursars Desk. It has been posted here several times.

That is truly ashame that some of you are removing what the crew deserves and works so hard for... As a matter of fact, my parents (who are 77 & 82 years old) are cruising by themselves on the Freedom Dec 11th and I mentioned to them about the increase in tips..

What I got from them was a "well its about time, they deserve it". And right after that, it was "Elaine, can you please call Carnival and prepay the tips"....

This is from a couple that are about to embark on their 27th Carnival Cruise and have no problem with the increase at it...

And then I followed them and have already prepaid my tips for my Carnival Glory March 18th cruise!!!!

How much TIP do you leave Captain for a smooth docking?

It continues to amaze me that people cruise so close to the belt that $21 is going to break the bank. It would scare me out of my mind to leave the country knowing that if I had an expense of $21 I could literally not spend another red cent on the cruise. Just me, but no way I could do it. More power to those who can keep their head in the sand and think, "Oh nothing is going to happen to me!"

Actually no one knows who gets the $2 a day right?? Lots of speculation.

If you cant afford to tip the new amount, of course you can reduce it to whatever you want.

It's easy to call people cheap when you have no argument. I know it doesn't go to the people who deserve it most. And if I am wrong, then let JH answer the question he promised golfadj he would.

It continues to amaze me that people cruise so close to the belt that $21 is going to break the bank. It would scare me out of my mind to leave the country knowing that if I had an expense of $21 I could literally not spend another red cent on the cruise. Just me, but no way I could do it. More power to those who can keep their head in the sand and think, "Oh nothing is going to happen to me!"

Really? Do you actually read the threads? Not about the amount. And that has been stated many times.

It's easy to call people cheap when you have no argument. I know it doesn't go to the people who deserve it most. And if I am wrong, then let JH answer the question he promised golfadj he would.

Going to disagree. Not paying the new tip rate out of "principal" is 100% cheap. Principal would be not paying it if it went up $100 per person. $10.50 per person is just cheap, period.

Going to disagree. Not paying the new tip rate out of "principal" is 100% cheap. Principal would be not paying it if it went up $100 per person. $10.50 per person is just cheap, period.

Have you not noticed that many of us think the entire increase should havre gone to the waitstaff and stewards and not to the entertainment dept?

I have said that the extra buck is going to waitstaff and steward so why are you accusing me of being cheap?

Boy you call everyone cheap because they only want to pay the people who actually service them. Sorry but each person can do as they choose. To now expect passengers to pay service fee for salaried employees is crazy IMO and that is all that matters to me.

You lable people and have no idea who they are. How sad.

Boy you call everyone cheap because they only want to pay the people who actually service them. Sorry but each person can do as they choose. To now expect passengers to pay service fee for salaried employees is crazy IMO and that is all that matters to me.

You are so right!

It's just my opinion. I personally could care less if the $10.50 went to the captain--I don't cruise so tight to the belt that $21 is going to make or break me one way or the other. I try to live a drama free life--therefore, am not going to get in bind over $10.50. Just not. It just amazes me at the people who are throwing a royal hissy fit over $21. {Shakes head}

It's just my opinion. I personally could care less if the $10.50 went to the captain--I don't cruise so tight to the belt that $21 is going to make or break me one way or the other. I try to live a drama free life--therefore, am not going to get in bind over $10.50. Just not. It just amazes me at the people who are throwing a royal hissy fit over $21. {Shakes head}

Guess you cannot read issue but just want to make it all about the money.

Guess you cannot read issue but just want to make it all about the money.

I get the point deborahjo--it's the PRINCIPAL of (gasp) the whopping $2 going to someone who (gasp again) may not "deserve it". Again, just shaking my head. Completely amazed at how people can sweat the small stuff in life.

Its very odd to me that I see the same people leading the "remove tips" brigade, but I don't see these same people professing, but be sure to still tip the full amount in cash.

Just as its your decision to remove tips .. its others decision how to view your actions and words. I was sitting in the VIP area waiting to board Triumph and names were mentioned, not by me, of people leading this charge to remove tips as being trouble makers and anti Carnival. Maybe they are thinking they have a legit reason .. but others see it as a excuse. We all make our own decisions and how we view others .. by what they say. If this is a label (anti auto tipping) you want to wear, so be it.

Everyone judges .. and those posting the most about removing tips are being judged and will be remembered long after this dies down .. make no mistake.

Yes, as you point out .. everyone can remove tips. Just like its the silent majority's right to make judgements on those posting to do so. Obviously Im not silent .. but many are on here, that had something to say out loud in person on my last cruise. You can protest all you want, that its not cheap, or its your right to remove tips .. just as its others right to judge your words. Neither is in the wrong.

Its very odd to me that I see the same people leading the "remove tips" brigade, but I don't see these same people professing, but be sure to still tip the full amount in cash.

Just as its your decision to remove tips .. its others decision how to view your actions and words. I was sitting in the VIP area waiting to board Triumph and names were mentioned, not by me, of people leading this charge to remove tips as being trouble makers and anti Carnival. Maybe they are thinking they have a legit reason .. but others see it as a excuse. We all make our own decisions and how we view others .. by what they say. If this is a label (anti auto tipping) you want to wear, so be it.

Everyone judges .. and those posting the most about removing tips are being judged and will be remembered long after this dies down .. make no mistake.

Yes, as you point out .. everyone can remove tips. Just like its the silent majority's right to make judgements on those posting to do so. Obviously Im not silent .. but many are on here, that had something to say out loud in person on my last cruise. You can protest all you want, that its not cheap, or its your right to remove tips .. just as its others right to judge your words. Neither is in the wrong.

Never said I was removing the Service Fee. Just altering it. Since I am paying for two cabins by the way that will be done 2 times if I have my way. Yes you can and do judge not only my words but never address issues.

Never said I was removing the Service Fee. Just altering it. Since I am paying for two cabins by the way that will be done 2 times if I have my way. Yes you can and do judge not only my words but never address issues.

Can't speak for Fire, but I have addressed the issue that I choose not to sweat the small stuff in life and, IMHO, sweating over a $1.50 per day raise in tips because it "might" be placed in the "wrong hands" is just way more drama than I need in my life. Quite honestly, I hope those of you sweating this small increase in tips and crying over "the principal of it all..." can find a way to relax more. You'll live longer. Seriously.

Can't speak for Fire, but I have addressed the issue that I choose not to sweat the small stuff in life and, IMHO, sweating over a $1.50 per day raise in tips because it "might" be placed in the "wrong hands" is just way more drama than I need in my life. Quite honestly, I hope those of you sweating this small increase in tips and crying over "the principal of it all..." can find a way to relax more. You'll live longer. Seriously.

I totally agree :) As I've mentioned before, every staff and crew member, whether directly or indirectly, contributes to my cruise. I don't mind the increase and I don't mind who is getting an extra buck.

Just because someone takes issue with something and may find it wrong does not mean they are sweating over it, or making drama , or not relaxing and shortening their life.

There is something that bothers you, you have an opinion about it, and you voice that opinion , doesn't mean you are making drama.

Here is what I would like to say, ask, and know;

1. Assuming that Carnival is giving all the tip money to the crew.

2. Is the additional tip money, the $1.50 per passenger per day, giving parts of the crew a PAY RAISE?

3. Or is Carnival reducing employee costs by making part of the employees pay based on tips now? (paying them by commission?)

I used to do this with my mechanics when I was in the auto repair business. When I needed to increase profits, or at least make it look like they were better.

So, with the new tips, will the crew earn more money? I doubt it.

Will Carnival be able to keep prices low, and show better profits, maybe, but again, I doubt it.

I just wish if Carnival had wanted to give raises, they would have done that and raised prices to cover it, that way all the employees get what they deserve, and the passengers know what they HAVE to pay.

I get the point deborahjo--it's the PRINCIPAL of (gasp) the whopping $2 going to someone who (gasp again) may not "deserve it". Again, just shaking my head. Completely amazed at how people can sweat the small stuff in life.

Stand for something or fall for everything. Where do you draw the line? How long before they announce in port that they need to take-up a collection for fuel?

A $20 hooker and a $2000 hooker are both still hookers.

Or so I've been told...

Really? This is what people are discussing in the VIP lounge? Whether H8 and others remove tips or not? And people think we are obsessing over little things. It's a shame they couldn't just enjoy the cruise as opposed to worrying how others live their lives.

Judging others is wrong. Live your life in a way that makes sense to you and let others do the same.

And I Don't remember anyone saying that they are removing tips so they don't have to tip. Lots saying they wish to adjust them though and that's a big difference.

I get it. You have said you cruise on Carnival not RCL because of the price, and now you mention you have two cabins. .. but yet claim its not about the money.

I actually meant it kindly .. that people are remembering those names who are posting leading this revolt against auto tips. I like you and think you dont want this brand for years to come .. but maybe you do? I didnt even know people knew big duck and H8 who hardly post .. but yep they are now branded as leaders of this revolt. I was just trying to get you to see how you sound to others who are reading CC and not always posting their thoughts.

Most of us DO NOT CARE HOW THE TIPS ARE DISTRIBUTED. .. so there is no reason to address your issues .. they are not issues to me. Find some other way to cut back expenses than removing any of the tip is how I feel. You can cut back if you feel it is right .. but all these posts telling others to remove their tips is putting a brand on you that people will remember in the future. Im just asking you .. is this really how you want to be known?

Archived