Can you ask the purser desk to use old tip rate?

angel61

Back to OPs question . Yes one can adjust the auto tip up down or remove it and tip as you feel warranted.

After reading the threads on the tipping issue I have come to the conclusion that most posters have a problem [ myself included] including guest services and entertainers in the tip pool.:)

Let judgement be left to one power which is greater than all of us. I would not want to explain myself and why I felt I had to judge others.

:confused: Not sure why you're bringing my mom into this discussion.

As for tips...you spend your money however you see fit, and allow others to spend their money however they see fit. None of your business how others choose to spend their money...or not.

Nope, no survey .. someone else brought up both H8s name and big ducks as leading the revolt. As I said I was surprised they heard of them.

.. which these folks know. Men dont care.. I was just asking deborah if she really wanted to have her name bandied about as a trouble maker on CC.

TROUBLE MARKER? Oh Boy. Thanks for the laugh.

Just because someone takes issue with something and may find it wrong does not mean they are sweating over it, or making drama , or not relaxing and shortening their life.

There is something that bothers you, you have an opinion about it, and you voice that opinion , doesn't mean you are making drama.

The extra $1.50.......I'd say caused alot of drama for a very vocal minority on cc:D

Back to OPs question . Yes one can adjust the auto tip up down or remove it and tip as you feel warranted.

After reading the threads on the tipping issue I have come to the conclusion that most posters have a problem [ myself included] including guest services and entertainers in the tip pool.:)

Ditto.

Stand for something or fall for everything. Where do you draw the line? How long before they announce in port that they need to take-up a collection for fuel?

A $20 hooker and a $2000 hooker are both still hookers.

Or so I've been told...

Funny sounds like part of my favorite joke. Won't tell the joke but the punch line is

"We've already established what you are. Now we are negotiating the price!"

Let judgement be left to one power which is greater than all of us. I would not want to explain myself and why I felt I had to judge others.

:confused: Not sure why you're bringing my mom into this discussion.

So funny! (Thought it was my mom)

OK - Back to the insults.:rolleyes:

Yes I think I do want to be remembered for standing up for what I feel is right! and not just following along like a SHEEP!

By the way, if the crew deserve this increase, did you pay them an extra $1.50 per day when you were on the Triumph last week? No not just what you tip extra, but an additional $1.50 on top of what you tip extra. Afterall if they deserve it next month don't they deserve it this month also?

I always tip over and above the auto tips to the MDR staff and my steward/ess. Gratefully, in 40 cruises, I've only ever had one situation where the service was so bad I didn't tip over and above the auto tip. I did not however, remove the auto tip because I know anyone can have a bad week and am not going to be that small. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

And yes, no matter how one slices it, if someone is sweating where two cotton pickin' dollars are going, then yes, they ARE creating drama where there need not be any. These are the people who, if they are shorted $.27 cents in change will march right back in a place and demand their quarter and two pennies. I'm not saying living that way is wrong, I'm simply saying I'm glad I don't live that way. In the over all scheme of the world, this $2.00 is beyond trivial to me. I'd hate to see how these people react when something REALLY big happens. I'd have to move out of the way for fear of a head exploding. And now that I've said what I have to say about that, I'm going to cruise and not worry about the $21 extra and hope that those that are worried about it, can find a way to let it go. TTFN :)

That is truly ashame that some of you are removing what the crew deserves and works so hard for... As a matter of fact, my parents (who are 77 & 82 years old) are cruising by themselves on the Freedom Dec 11th and I mentioned to them about the increase in tips..

What I got from them was a "well its about time, they deserve it". And right after that, it was "Elaine, can you please call Carnival and prepay the tips"....

This is from a couple that are about to embark on their 27th Carnival Cruise and have no problem with the increase at it...

And then I followed them and have already prepaid my tips for my Carnival Glory March 18th cruise!!!!

Older people are more keen to say what they did. Carnival is not the only people that are struggling right now, and to be quite honest. $80 in tips that i have prepaid seems to be a bit steep. Because TRUST ME I WILL adjust them if the people I come in contact with does not live up to the amount I am paying. Rest assure. Vice versa.. if they exceed above then I might consider more. but very unlikely because this is their job just as mine is as a cook at a fine dining restaurant. Dont expect hourly employees to get tips when they make a hourly rate.. And before anyone says " anything.> i have worked in many of "tip preferred" positions so i know how it is.

I always tip over and above the auto tips to the MDR staff and my steward/ess. Gratefully, in 40 cruises, I've only ever had one situation where the service was so bad I didn't tip over and above the auto tip. I did not however, remove the auto tip because I know anyone can have a bad week and am not going to be that small. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

And yes, no matter how one slices it, if someone is sweating where two cotton pickin' dollars are going, then yes, they ARE creating drama where there need not be any. These are the people who, if they are shorted $.27 cents in change will march right back in a place and demand their quarter and two pennies. I'm not saying living that way is wrong, I'm simply saying I'm glad I don't live that way. In the over all scheme of the world, this $2.00 is beyond trivial to me. I'd hate to see how these people react when something REALLY big happens. I'd have to move out of the way for fear of a head exploding. And now that I've said what I have to say about that, I'm going to cruise and not worry about the $21 extra and hope that those that are worried about it, can find a way to let it go. TTFN :)

What!, Now it is $2.00, Do you work for Carnival? I thought it was an increase of $1.50 not $2.00.

Yes I know you were just rounding it up. Or making a point.

This is the exact point some are making, first it was tips, then an extra $1.50, then extra people that we don't really see on the cruise, what is next, "lets just round the tips to $15.00 per day. That is not much."

The top of the tip, seams to be on a slippery slope, if you try to go to fast/far, you will slip and fall all the way to the bottom.

I get the point deborahjo--it's the PRINCIPAL of (gasp) the whopping $2 going to someone who (gasp again) may not "deserve it". Again, just shaking my head. Completely amazed at how people can sweat the small stuff in life.

Let's look at it another way. Say a $10.50 charge showed up on everyone in your families cell phone bill.

When you call in to ask about it you are told $3.50 is going to tower upgrades and the other $7.00 is going to the people who answer the phones at the call center. You say, but don't the call center people get paid a salary? and they say yes, but we think they deserve a little more money. Most people are not having a hard time agreeing to the increase because they agree that if we think the call center should get more money it is ok by them.

If an extra $10.50 a month is going to break your bank, maybe you should rethink even having a cell phone. (something that never even crossed your mind.)

Everyone in the company goes to great efforts to make your cell phone experience wonderful, so what is the problem you are having with the way we have decided to increase the money the call center gets? By adding the "fee" we can continue to make it seem we are keeping your cell phone bill low while still giving the call center a raise.

What they are skirting around is you have 4 cell phones on your bill or an extra $42.00. You have maybe never used the call center but maybe once or twice and both times did not get the answer you needed, but you have to admit, they are there if you want to call in.

If the company then said, if you do not agree with the extra "fee" you can remove it, would you? Or would you think, those call center people deserve the extra money and I can afford it, so it is ok by me because I do not sweat the small stuff and I like my cell phone and am happy with my service plus I can afford $42.00 extra on my bill without breaking the bank.

You are correct about the drama, so why don't you and the Fly quit making so much out of the topic, you seam to be making a lot of Drama for everyone!

What!, Now it is $2.00, Do you work for Carnival? I thought it was an increase of $1.50 not $2.00.

This is the exact point some are making, first it was tips, then an extra $1.50, then extra people that we don't really see on the cruise, what is next, "lets just round the tips to $15.00 per day. That is not much."

The top of the tip, seams to be on a slippery slope, if you try to go to fast/far, you will slip and fall all the way to the bottom.

It's a conspiracy :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes: You guys are too much. It's a $1.50 get over it. Life is too short to worry over every single penny.

I think Carnival should raise the recommended tipping amount by another $2.00 it would only raise the total "tip" amount to $13.50

Here is what I suggest the additional is used for;

$.25 to the cabin above and below you. Because they might hear you walking around, dropping suitcases, or getting busy with your DPartner.

$.50 to the cabin to the left and right of you. For the same reasons as above and below, plus they have to step around your trays in the hall if you use room service.

$.25 to the cabin across the hall from you. Because at times they might hear your door slam closed, or might have to wait for you to go in or out of your room, to get in or out of theirs.

$.25 to the person working at the pursers desk for having to make sure the amounts go to the correct rooms. Because it will be a 24 hour job to add and remove the tips as the other rooms hear you make noise.

The additional tip money will be added to your sign and sail card, so if you pay and receive it will not cost you anything, and if one of your neighbors think you were a really good guest, they can increase the amount. But if you are too noisy they can remove them, in which case it will cost you.

Actually, I know it's only $1.50, the issue seems to be the (OMG!) $2.00 going to persons unknown. Personally, I could care less if it's $1.50 or $2.00 or to whom it goes.

To answer the person who asked about our cell bill. That is not the same thing because I only cruise 1 or 2 times a year. The $21 per cruise once or twice a year is absolutely no big deal to me. If they added $21 to my cell bill twice in a year, regardless if it went to the CEO's bonus, I could care less. That is not the kind of money that gets my attention. Now, if it was $210 twice a year, that would be an entirely different story.

Wholly cow, in the time sense you posted this, the tips have increase $3.00 per person per day (for a 7 day it would be $21.00)

We better stop this before the tips are more than the cruise fare.

Just to let you know, Vanessa, the increase is only $1.50 per person per day, not $2.00 or $3.00 as you have been stating.

Actually, I know it's only $1.50, the issue seems to be the (OMG!) $2.00 going to persons unknown. Personally, I could care less if it's $1.50 or $2.00 or to whom it goes.

To answer the person who asked about our cell bill. That is not the same thing because I only cruise 1 or 2 times a year. The $21 per cruise once or twice a year is absolutely no big deal to me. If they added $21 to my cell bill twice in a year, regardless if it went to the CEO's bonus, I could care less. That is not the kind of money that gets my attention. Now, if it was $210 twice a year, that would be an entirely different story.

Why does the amount make a difference, don't the crew still deserve the addition? You have said they work hard taking care of us.

This topic reminds me of a "PITA TAX" that gets added to bills by route drivers, around the US, it is usually a very small amount or % maybe .05 % of the bill, so for a $200 bill it is $10.00 which is not much, and most customers do not even notice. But for a delivery driver that delivers to 10 customers a day, that is now $100.00 if he/she delivers to 20 it is $200.00 per DAY! or $500.00 or $1000.00 per week.

It adds up quick, and can cause problems.

By the way, the PITA TAX is Pain In The Ass TAX. and delivery drivers add it if they do not like you or your company.

Wholly cow, in the time sense you posted this, the tips have increase $3.00 per person per day (for a 7 day it would be $21.00)

We better stop this before the tips are more than the cruise fare.

Just to let you know, Vanessa, the increase is only $1.50 per person per day, not $2.00 or $3.00 as you have been stating.

Gonna help you out there waldo....

Vanessa's tip increase ($1.50pp per day/7 day cruise) $10.50

VL's husband's tip increase (same amount) $10.50

Total for 2 people for a 7 day cruise $21.00

You are very welcome. So glad I could clear that up for you :D

Gonna help you out there waldo....

Vanessa's tip increase ($1.50pp per day/7 day cruise) $10.50

VL's husband's tip increase (same amount) $10.50

Total for 2 people for a 7 day cruise $21.00

You are very welcome. So glad I could clear that up for you :D

Well, that makes more sense, thanks, I thought you were using the "New Math"

I still do not think it is the amount, it is the general topic of the increase.

People felt the same way when tips at local resturants went from 10% to 15% and then again to 18%. Where does it stop going up and the service get BETTER.

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

The 2.00 people are referring to is the 2.00 going to alternative services. If the increase is only 1.50 per day, that means .50 is being taken from the dining room or stewards. I don't mind the 11.50 per day, I mind that the traditional people receiving it are getting less than they did. Salaried people should be paid by their employer, not by the customer.

I don't consider myself a troublemaker, but I do think I have the right to state my opinion,

like all of us here on CC.

Why does the amount make a difference, don't the crew still deserve the addition? You have said they work hard taking care of us.

This topic reminds me of a "PITA TAX" that gets added to bills by route drivers, around the US, it is usually a very small amount or % maybe .05 % of the bill, so for a $200 bill it is $10.00 which is not much, and most customers do not even notice. But for a delivery driver that delivers to 10 customers a day, that is now $100.00 if he/she delivers to 20 it is $200.00 per DAY! or $500.00 or $1000.00 per week.

It adds up quick, and can cause problems.

By the way, the PITA TAX is Pain In The Ass TAX. and delivery drivers add it if they do not like you or your company.

What kinds of delivery drivers are you referring to? UPS, Fedex, etc? Somebody doesn't like you so they charge you an extra charge?

I don't own a business so maybe that's what you are talking about.:confused:

Bill

Hey, for all the tippers that feel they are not cheap, and those of us that question the tipping thoughts are cheap;

What cruises are you going on in the next year, we need to book another, I will book the same cruise as you, so we can meet, and you can have a face to put with the list.

And because I am cheap, you can pay the additional from my tips. Sense you are not cheap, and I am. in your words.

The 2.00 people are referring to is the 2.00 going to alternative services. If the increase is only 1.50 per day, that means .50 is being taken from the dining room or stewards. I don't mind the 11.50 per day, I mind that the traditional people receiving it are getting less than they did. Salaried people should be paid by their employer, not by the customer.

I don't consider myself a troublemaker, but I do think I have the right to state my opinion,

like all of us here on CC.

It used to be $5.50 for wait staff, $3.50 per cabin steward(s), and $1.00 for alternative services.

So now the cabin steward(s) and waitstaff have an extra $.50 to split and alternative is now $2.00 instead of $1.00

Bill

What kinds of delivery drivers are you referring to? UPS, Fedex, etc? Somebody doesn't like you so they charge you an extra charge?

I don't own a business so maybe that's what you are talking about.:confused:

Bill

In our case it was the uniform company. It was not that much they did not like you, but the drivers got greedy and would add the "tax" to the bill.

I have also seen it from venders that sold chemicals to repair shops. Or charged to pick up oil/chemicals. But we are getting of topic.

I think it has been blown out of propotion here on CC and Carnival should have presented the change in a better manner.

Maybe they should make the tipping pool one large pool, and then give the employee a % of the total, based on performance review from the customers. Give them a customer satisfaction index, and pay based on the total.

Archived