Tipping

luvinacruise

We have no problem with the SC on our bill. We are wondering if you have a special server and you want to pass them a few extra bucks, do they have to turn it in and share it. Also, when eating in the specialty restaurants do you tip the server or is it already added on the bill. We will be sailing the Epic on Jan 7. thanks for any info.

We have no problem with the SC on our bill. We are wondering if you have a special server and you want to pass them a few extra bucks, do they have to turn it in and share it. Also, when eating in the specialty restaurants do you tip the server or is it already added on the bill. We will be sailing the Epic on Jan 7. thanks for any info.

If you leave the service charge in place, anything extra you wish to tip is the server's to keep.

I am of the opinion that the extra charge for the specialty restaurant covers the tip. Others disagree.

If you leave the service charge in place, anything extra you wish to tip is the server's to keep.

I am of the opinion that the extra charge for the specialty restaurant covers the tip. Others disagree.

I think a lot of us might feel the service so exemplary that we wish to show our appreciation over and above the service charge which may or may not include the gratuity in the specialty restaurants. It is not expected and purely a matter of choice.

The specialty restaurant waiters participate in the service charge pool just as the MDR waiters do, so an additional tip isn't required, nor do the waiters get a piece of the specialty restaurant upcharge on NCL.

However, we leave an additional cash tip if the service has been exceptional...which it often is.

Because we had such great service in all the restaurants on board, we left a cash tip each time on the table just as we would have in a land based restaurant.

This included the Main Dining room to the Blue Lagoon to the Buffet.

Also each Specialty Restaurant and the Java Cafe.

Please understand that none of the tips we left are required. I'm just sharing our experience and what we felt comfortable doing.

Leaving a tip for someone who made your dinner a little more special is such a small thing to show your gratitude. We also filled out S.T.Y.L.E. cards for some staff and dropped them off at the Service Desk.

Have fun!

Because we had such great service in all the restaurants on board, we left a cash tip each time on the table just as we would have in a land based restaurant.

This is part of the reason NCL instituted the DSC, double tipping. The DSC is impersonal and obviously doesn't occur when service is provided so many people feel pressured or obligated to tip again table side. The flip side of the DSC is if you feel you receive poor service that doesn't warrant a tip, you basically cannot 'remove' the tip. You could try, but it opens such a can of worms it is not worth it.

Many will say, if you are not happy with something complain immediately. That is a valid point, but if I am trying to enjoy a fine meal with my partner and I have to ruin it with complaints to the staff, the tip was not earned. Now remember, most staff do a great job and earn their tips, but I have had a few that were bad and didn't seem to care a whit.

An excellent way to thank a crew member who has treated you extremely well is to fill out a S.T.Y.L.E.S card praising them. These go into their file and help with promotions and bonuses. One of the crew members said he'd rather have a STYLES card done for him than get cash.

You can get the STYLES cards at the front desk. Just tell them how many you want. You also turn the cards in at the front desk.

We not only gave our fantastic cabin stewards an extra tip but we also filled out a STYLES card for each of them.

This is part of the reason NCL instituted the DSC, double tipping. The DSC is impersonal and obviously doesn't occur when service is provided so many people feel pressured or obligated to tip again table side. The flip side of the DSC is if you feel you receive poor service that doesn't warrant a tip, you basically cannot 'remove' the tip. You could try, but it opens such a can of worms it is not worth it.

Many will say, if you are not happy with something complain immediately. That is a valid point, but if I am trying to enjoy a fine meal with my partner and I have to ruin it with complaints to the staff, the tip was not earned. Now remember, most staff do a great job and earn their tips, but I have had a few that were bad and didn't seem to care a whit.

Personally, I think the DSC was born out of the old envelope system where a percentage skipped the MDR on the last night to avoid the staff.

You're paying approximate $4 per day for your 3 meals in tips. Even if we allow for $1 for breakfast, $1 for lunch and $2 for dinner, it's $2.00. More than worrying about giving someone two bucks for bad service, you should tell the restaurant manager, so they can ensure that worker learns from it. You can be sure that the waiter cares a LOT about those chats.

I asked the Hotel manager and the concierge on our last cruise this same question. Both said, as long as the SC is left in place, anything you give a crew member, in cash they can keep. I don't always beleive what I hear from cruise management on the ships but I do totaly trust what the hotel manager has to say.

NIta

Personally, I think the DSC was born out of the old envelope system where a percentage skipped the MDR on the last night to avoid the staff.

you hit the nail on the head: Most of us who have cruised for more than 10 years can remember seeing how many did not show up on that last night or maybe, who knows, handed an empty or almost empty envalope to the dining room staff. Add "freestyle" to the mix and SC is the only way to go.

As for the occassional person that maybe didn't give great service, we generally try to realize, everyone has a bad day. If service is really bad, of course we need to report it to the management staff. If enough report a bad service crew person it will get back to them and not in a positive way.

NIta

I think that's a pretty cynical point of view on why NCL would institute a Daily Service Charge (DSC) - to "trick" you into tipping when you wouldn't or into double-tipping :rolleyes:

Instead, I look at the DSC as a convenience where I 1) don't have to remember how much to tip every person I come into contact with 2) don't have to worry about making sure I deliver all the tips and such. I also didn't encounter ANY staff that I would not be happy with tipping as they all did a great job.

To answer the OP, I posted this question maybe a month ago and people got into violent debates about the topic and it got very philosophic at one point. I ended up tipping in Le Bistro and Cagney's as the service was excellent, but don't know if I would going forward. It sounds like it's not necessarily expected of you. Enjoy your meals and cruise!

The DSC is how the crew gets paid. It's a sevice charge, not a tip.

The reality is they need to get paid whrther it's good or bad service.

This is just misinformation. The DSC was rolled out a few years ago and was clearly explained that it was the crew gratuity or tip. You can label it anything you wish but it is and always has been treated as an automatic tip.

I have a problem with a "required tip". In essence it is an additional fee over and above the published cost of the cruise. I believe a tip should NOT be automatic. I am paying for good service and expect it for the price of the cruise alone.

The last two cruises I was on tipping was not allowed. Some people tipped a particular person if service was exemplary, but this was frowned upon my management and certainly not encouraged.

I have not problem with the cost of the crusie. I booked an owner's suite for a lot of money and expect good to great service. But I will NOT pay a "daily service charge" over and above the advertised amount.

Archived