Tipping

luvinacruise

This is just misinformation. The DSC was rolled out a few years ago and was clearly explained that it was the crew gratuity or tip. You can label it anything you wish but it is and always has been treated as an automatic tip.

Aaannndddd, it's how the crew gets paid. When you quit worrying about what it's called and realize that it's a cost of the cruise that isn't included in the fare, welllll, everything becomes clear and life is easier.

I have a problem with a "required tip". In essence it is an additional fee over and above the published cost of the cruise. I believe a tip should NOT be automatic. I am paying for good service and expect it for the price of the cruise alone.

The last two cruises I was on tipping was not allowed. Some people tipped a particular person if service was exemplary, but this was frowned upon my management and certainly not encouraged.

I have not problem with the cost of the crusie. I booked an owner's suite for a lot of money and expect good to great service. But I will NOT pay a "daily service charge" over and above the advertised amount.

OK I can't say that I disagree with your starting sentiment. I grew up in a time when tipping was only in limited professions. If you gave a tip to a waitress for exceptional service (more than her job), she kept the tip and was not required to share it with other staff working that you didn't see (dishwasher, hostess etc). People took pride in whatever job they did and didn't expect more money from the customer because they did their job, nor did employers expect their customers to subsidize wages (with tips I mean). Some would go above and beyond that and were appreciative of whatever you left on the table. They didn't scoff (like in todays world) because you didn't leave what they deemed as the expected amount.

I readily pay the DSC, not because some poor worker does not make enough, not because I look at it as a tip for a job they are suppose to do in the first place. I pay it because it is noted as a required part of my cruise bill (whether it is before my cruise or during my cruise). I still know that it is required. Then if anyone goes above what I deem as their job, I give them money as a token of my appreciation.

So whatever anyone calls it, whatever is actually done with it after I give it, or what it is there for in the first place, it is part of the entire cruise bill, it is just collected in a different way.

I have a problem with a "required tip". In essence it is an additional fee over and above the published cost of the cruise. I believe a tip should NOT be automatic. I am paying for good service and expect it for the price of the cruise alone.

The last two cruises I was on tipping was not allowed. Some people tipped a particular person if service was exemplary, but this was frowned upon my management and certainly not encouraged.

I have not problem with the cost of the crusie. I booked an owner's suite for a lot of money and expect good to great service. But I will NOT pay a "daily service charge" over and above the advertised amount.

If you want tips to be included in the price, go on a luxury cruise where you can pay $500+ per day. None of the "normal" cruise lines include the gratuity in the cruise price and "required tip" CAN be removed if you truly have a bad service experience, but I doubt that happens very often. Do your research ahead of time to see what's included in the price and you won't have anything to be upset about.

I am not upset. I understand your point very well. When I go to Vegas and see all the people handing the taxi starter a buck or two for opening the door, I feel the same way.

Yes, I know most people do it.

Yes, I know it is expected.

...and I am paying $500+/day/person for this cruise, too.

I am not upset. I understand your point very well. When I go to Vegas and see all the people handing the taxi starter a buck or two for opening the door, I feel the same way.

Yes, I know most people do it.

Yes, I know it is expected.

...and I am paying $500+/day/person for this cruise, too.

If you can afford that price, then it's great you are ensuring the staff who take care of you are taken care of as well. If NCL started building in the $12 per day for DSC, they would be at a major competitive disadvantage to the other cruise lines who don't. It's the same deal with baggage fees on airlines.

Archived